#UFC Fight Night 55 #Fabricio Werdum #Marcin Tybura #UFC 217 #GSP #Nik Lentz #Will Brooks

Ronda Rousey’s Saturday night submission victory over Sarah Kaufman lasted just 54 seconds, but the Strikeforce women’s bantamweight champion says she was in no hurry to seal the deal.

The former Olympic judo bronze medalist applied one of her trademark armbars on Kaufman less than 30 seconds into their titular headliner at Valley View Casino Center in San Diego, Calif., and soon after added the former champion to her list of first-round victims.

“It’s cool how I’ve had to change all my habits from judo,” Rousey (Pictured, file photo) told Showtime Sports after her win. “In judo, I have a tendency to rush, because I only have a few seconds to [submit my opponent before the bout is restarted standing]. This time, I got [the armbar], and I was like, ‘Take your time.’” While the submission itself played out methodically, the lead-up to the finish proved tense from the start, as Rousey immediately jabbed her way inside before launching a right hook that occupied Kaufman’s attention while she further closed the gap. Once in the clinch, Rousey failed with a head-and-arm throw but moments later hit a smooth foot sweep that planted Kaufman on her posterior in a sequence that would serve as the beginning of the end for the former champion.

Rousey instantly stepped into mount as Kaufman attempted in vain to regain a seated position. The British Columbia native then tried to roll for an escape, but Rousey quickly snatched the Canadian’s right appendage and dived for her signature armbar, hooking the crook of Kaufman’s knee and flopping her over onto her back. Kaufman appeared well-prepared to defend the submission, however, keeping her arm bolted to her chest and holding on for all she was worth as Rousey slowly began to pry apart her grip. Kaufman continually rolled with the pressure and rotated her shoulder, lasting nearly 30 seconds before Rousey finally ripped apart her hands and finished the hold, forcing Kaufman to tap less than one minute into the hyped championship affair.

“I thought that if I went for it too early that I might lose my position,” said Rousey of the finish. “I feel like I’m developing more as a mixed martial artist that I was able to change my position until I was happy with where I was before I went for it. I feel mature now with this win. I’m more relaxed, and I’m not [rushing] like in my earlier fights.”

Prior to tonight’s contest, Rousey notably supplemented her preparation by spending time with Team Cesar Gracie, a decision she says paid both physical and mental dividends.

“They did a lot in keeping me from plateauing. I feel like changing your environment is really important, in moderation, and they were great,” Rousey said. “They helped me stay motivated and helped me to still enjoy what I’m doing. I think Mike Tyson said that a happy fighter is a dangerous fighter. They were really good about teaching me a whole lot of new things but also making sure that I was enjoying the journey.”

Galleries

Ronda Rousey Fights

• a year ago

Comments

Joanna Jedrzejczyk after UFC 217 title loss: 'Don't compare me to Ronda Rousey'

Joanna Jedrzejczyk wanted Ronda Rousey’s record but now is dismissing parallel’s to her career after losing her title at UFC 217.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC, Videos read news >>

Joanna Jedrzejczyk Had Planned a Move to Flyweight; Now She Plans to Regroup | MMAWeekly.com

Initially planning to tie Ronda Rousey's record and then challenge for the UFC flyweight title, Joanna Jedrzejczyk is now planning to regroup. read news >>

Joanna Jedrzejczyk following loss at UFC 217: 'Please don't compare me to Ronda Rousey' | MMAWeekly.com

Joanna Jedrzecjzyk respects Ronda Rousey but says there's no comparison when it comes to their losses inside the Octagon. read news >>

Ronda Rousey pitches Microsoft's Xbox One X with swift punch to the junk

Ronda Rousey hasn’t shown much of a desire to return to MMA, but that doesn’t mean she’s avoiding the spotlight, entirely.Filed under: Blue Corner, News, UFC, Videos read news >>

John Salter Scores Quick Submission to Extend Winning Streak (Bellator 188 Full Fight) | MMAWeekly.com

• a day ago

John Salter extended his winning streak by submitting Jason Radcliffe at Bellator 188 and continues to ascend toward the top of the middleweight division. read news >>

Denise Kielholtz Wins Bellator MMA Debut by Submission (Bellator 188 Full Fight) | MMAWeekly.com

• a day ago

Promotional newcomer Denise Kielholtz won her Bellator MMA debut by submitting Jessica Middleton at Bellator 188 in Tel Aviv, Israel. Watch the full fight. read news >>

Joanna Jedrzejczyk gunning for Ronda Rousey's record; Colby Covington unleashes on Tyron Woodley | MMAWeekly.com

On the latest Fight Society podcast, UFC women's strawweight champion Joanna Jedrzejczyk and rising welterweight star Colby Covington join the show. read news >>

Joanna Jedrzejczyk has no doubt she'll beat Ronda Rousey's UFC title-defense record

UFC strawweight champion Joanna Jedrzejczyk is promising history in her title fight with Rose Namajunas at UFC 217.Filed under: News, UFC, Videos read news >>

UFC 217's Jorge Masvidal: Post-fight stupidity might be needed to earn title shot

Jorge Masvidal’s not pleased with the recent method or granting UFC title shots. However, he knows he might have to play into it at UFC 217.Filed under: News, UFC, Videos read news >>

Joanna Jedrzejczyk wants Ronda Rousey's record, but instead will history repeat itself at UFC 217?

Joanna Jedrzejczyk has a huge title defense in front of her at UFC 217, but could she be overlooking Rose Namajunas?Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>