#Conor McGregor #UFC 216 #GSP #Tony Ferguson #Nate Diaz #Kevin Lee #Nick Diaz #Fight Night Rotterdam #Michael Bisping #Darren Till #Holly Holm #Anderson Silva

Marloes Coenen and Sarah Kaufman at Strikeforce

Marloes Coenen firing at Sarah Kaufman

“2010 was an emotional rollercoaster for me professionally and private,” admits Strikeforce women’s 135-pound champion Marloes Coenen.

From the low of losing decisively to Strikeforce women’s 145-pound champion Cris “Cyborg” Santos, to the high of coming from behind to submit Sarah Kaufman for her current title, it’s been a year of extremes for Coenen.

When it comes to her performances against Santos and Kaufman, again, things were worlds apart for Coenen.

“The Cyborg-fight was one big lesson to me,” she told MMAWeekly.com. “Though I lost, it has boosted my confidence big time. I proved to myself that I am a fighter, don’t give up, and can take a beating.

“The Kaufman fight was different. I had expected more fireworks from her side. To cut a long story short; I am always very critical on my own performance, but I am happy with that fight too if I take all the ‘external’ things in consideration. For my next fight, I want more fireworks… and I’ll make it happen.”

Coenen admits that cutting weight for the Kaufman fight, combined with the possibility of fighting five five-minute rounds has affected the way she approaches fights, most importantly how to conserve energy and fight smarter.

“It is in my nature to go all out, but that isn’t the brightest game plan when you have a championship fight over 25 minutes,” stated Coenen. “I would like to learn the counter better. But what I see is that you are (either) an ‘attack’ or a ‘counter’ fighter, so it will be hard.”

Looking forward to 2011, Coenen’s first title defense is scheduled to be against Miesha Tate.

“She is a good wrestler and controls (her opponents) effectively, but her stand-up isn’t like Kaufman’s,” said Coenen. “My ground game is okay and my wrestling too, so I look forward to measuring our strengths.”

Tate fight aside, Coenen is intent on proving any detractors wrong by putting all her efforts into becoming a dominant world-class fighter.

“(I want to) consolidate my title, keep on training my women’s group, and fight all over the world,” commented Coenen. “The upcoming three years, at least, I will totally dedicate to MMA. I’ll do whatever it takes, and maybe I move to the U.S., we will see.

“2011 will be spectacular, cannot wait for it to start. If there is a theme (for the year) it’ll be ‘Bring it on!’”

After highs and lows dominated her 2010, Coenen looks to gain stability in 2011 and prove she can be the stalwart of Strikeforce’s 135-pound division for some time to come.

“I wish you all the best for 2011,” concluded Coenen. “Believe in your dreams and hang on. The road can be wobbly but when you believe it, you can make it. Happy New Year to everyone!”

Comments

Rory MacDonald sends Douglas Lima scary GIF after fight booking, champ responds

Rory MacDonald and Douglas Lima are already beginning to trade shots ahead of their Bellator welterweight title fight on Jan. 20.Filed under: Bellator, Blue Corner, News read news >>

Georges St-Pierre: If Michael Bisping expects same ol' GSP, 'it's a big mistake on his part'

Georges St-Pierre vows to come out aggressively looking to finish middleweight champ Michael Bisping at UFC 217.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>

Fighter Badly Misses Weight at UFC Japan Weigh-Ins, Stumbles off Scale

Another day, another controversial UFC weigh-in. Ahead of the promotion’s most recent attendance in Japan, to be headlined by a fairly uninteresting fight between Ovince Saint Preux and a returning Y read news >>

Scott Coker knows plenty about those comparisons to the UFC ahead of Bellator 183

Scott Coker knows a few things about having his promotion compared to the big guns at the UFC. Filed under: Bellator, Featured, News, Videos read news >>

'People to Kill': Brooke Mayo brought fresh antics to Bellator 183 weigh-ins

Brooke Mayo had a special message for Kaytlin Neil ahead of Bellator 183 and brought a notebook to share.Filed under: Bellator, Blue Corner, Featured, Featured Videos, News read news >>

Video: Ex-champ Anderson Silva, Kelvin Gastelum face off for UFC Fight Night 122

Anderson Silva and Kelvin Gastelum face off for the first time ahead of UFC Fight Night 122 on Nov. 25. Filed under: News, UFC, Videos read news >>

Ahead of UFC 217 press conference with GSP, watch Michael Bisping's best trash-talk

If you’re going to be in Las Vegas next week, you’ve got a chance to see UFC 217’s headliners – and budding rivals – in person.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Rory MacDonald expects competitive Bellator title fight vs. Douglas Lima – but also a finish

Rory MacDonald does believe his second Bellator bout vs. champ Douglas Lima will be more competitive than his debut, but it will end the same.Filed under: Bellator, News, Videos read news >>

Threats of broken legs, retirement? Justin Gaethje latest to beef with Tony Ferguson

Justin Gaethje is the latest to land on Tony Ferguson’s radar ahead of the latter’s interim UFC lightweight title fight at UFC 216.Filed under: Blue Corner, Featured Videos, News, UFC read news >>

Tony Ferguson takes all business to another level ahead of UFC 216 title fight vs. Kevin Lee

Tony Ferguson has very little chill in him as he prepares to fight Kevin Lee for the interim lightweight title.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC, Videos read news >>