#UFC Fight Night 117 #UFC Fight Night 52 #Bellator 183 #Jessica Andrade #Claudia Gadelha #Ovince St. Preux #Paul Daley #Lorenz Larkin #Gokhan Saki #Fight Night Pittsburgh #Roy Nelson #Javy Ayala

Strikeforce Challengers LogoSarah D’Alelio is not under any delusions heading into her Strikeforce Challengers 18 fight against former Olympic bronze medalist Ronda Rousey Friday night in Las Vegas.

As she told MMAWeekly.com, “I’m expected to be the underdog and be the sacrificial lamb; and if people want to think that, fine, that just puts all the pressure on Ronda.

“I don’t feel any pressure anywhere else because Ronda’s the bigger star; she’s the Olympian and has to live up to the hype.”

D’Alelio’s outlook doesn’t just stem from this fight, but also her originally scheduled Strikeforce debut, which was to have taken place on June 18 against returning superstar Gina Carano. That fight was cancelled due to Carano mysteriously being pulled from the event when she failed to gain medical clearance for unspecified reasons.

“When they originally called me it was to fight Gina, so that was like winning the lottery, and then that didn’t happen. So it was like losing the lottery a little bit,” she said. “They offered me Ronda, and I talked to my coaches about it and they said it was a good fight and we took it.

“I’m just happy to have a fight on Strikeforce. I’m a fighter, I like to fight, but to do it on Strikeforce on a big stage is like four years of hard work coming to fruition.”

After four wins in her first four pro MMA bouts, D’Alelio suffered her first loss, to Julie Kedzie, this past December, which acted as a catalyst for major changes in her career.

“You can’t lose a fight based on cardio, and once you do, that’s a really big kick in the pants,” she said. “To lose just because you’ve gotten tired, that’s the biggest disappointment that I had. I had to change my environment.

“I think the move to California is what really changed everything. Out here I can train for six or eight hours a day, whereas in Washington I could only train for two hours a day without getting kind of sick.”

Working with the likes of top women’s grappler Lana Stafanac and Sports Combat Academy head coach Kirian Fitzgibbons has elevated D’Alelio’s game tenfold.

“I started at CSA which is predominantly a stand-up gym, so my stand-up has gotten much better – better than I ever thought it could be,” she said. “I feel like my cardio is spectacular, so everything is improving; not only with my health, but everything is better than it ever was before.”

D’Alelio’s strategy for Friday night is simple, equalize Rousey’s strongest skill and the rest should fall in line.

“Shutting down her Judo will put us on a pretty even playing field,” said D’Alelio. “She’s obviously good at Judo; she went to the Olympics and medaled, and that’s where she excels; so if I shut that down I will excel in the other areas.

“I’m pretty confident in my stand-up right now, and my jiu-jitsu has gotten a lot better since I moved to California.”

Given the opportunity at hand to take her career to the next level, D’Alelio is firmly affixed on Friday’s fight and doing the best not only for herself, but women’s MMA.

“I haven’t even thought about (what’s next),” she concluded. “I just focus on what’s in front of me. I want to go out and put on a good show and keep fighting.

“Just expect a war, so everybody come watch the girls fight.”

E-mail Mick Hammond
For more UFC News and UFC Rumors, follow MMAWeekly.com on Twitter and Facebook.

Comments

The Rock to Do Voice-over Introduction for Floyd Mayweather vs. Conor McGregor

In order to properly hype the megafight between Floyd Mayweather Jr. and Conor McGregor, promoters have called up the Most Electrifying Man in Sports Entertainment. The Rock announced on Instagram on read news >>

Mayweather halts gutsy McGregor in fight that lives up to the hype

loyd Mayweather got his 50th win at T-Mobile Arena in Las Vegas Saturday night, but in his final prizefight, he got a fight from Conor McGregor, who gave quite the account of himself in his first pro read news >>

The Rock to Do Voice-over Introduction for Floyd Mayweather vs. Conor McGregor

Floyd Mayweather-Conor McGregor hype didn't translate into big crowd in Vegas

The media attention and expected pay-per-view buys for Mayweather vs. McGregor did not directly translate into ticket sales Saturday.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Trading Shots: Has MMA returned to normal, or are we suffering from a 'Money Fight' hangover?

Now that the hype from Mayweather vs. McGregor has finally died down and the UFC has resumed its frantic pace of events, are we happy to get back to normal in MMA? Or are we still feeling the lull fr read news >>

Video: Before UFC 215 title defense, watch Amanda Nunes' wild 1-rounder with Sheila Gaff

After an uneven run with Strikeforce and Invicta FC, Amanda Nunes arrived in the UFC in 2013 with a wild promotional debut against Sheila Gaff.Filed under: News, UFC, Videos read news >>

UFC 215: Johnson vs. Borg Odds, Tickets, Predictions and Pre-Weigh-in Hype

Coming off the megafight between Conor McGregor and Floyd Mayweather Jr., the UFC will be putting on the antithesis of a money fight in the main event at UFC 215. When Demetrious "Mighty Mouse" Johns read news >>

Before UFC-Pittsburgh headliner, watch Luke Rockhold's 2015 bout with Lyoto Machida

Back in 2015, former Strikeforce champion Luke Rockhold picked up his third “Performance of the Night” bonus in four fights when he took on Lyoto Machida. Check out the full fight.Filed under: News, read news >>

Jose Estrada Feeling Full of Confidence Heading Into Combate Americas 17 Main Event | MMAWeekly.com

Jose Estrada (3-1) will look to get back on the winning track when he takes on Izic Fernandez (2-3) in the main event of Combate Americas 17 on Friday. read news >>

Shyann Farmer Feeling Confident Heading into Pro MMA Debut | MMAWeekly.com

Shyann Farmer (0-0) will make her pro MMA debut against fellow debuting Brenda Enriquez in a main card 105-pound bout at Combate Americas 17 on Friday. read news >>