#UFC 216 #Conor McGregor #Nick Diaz #Tony Ferguson #Rizin 7 #Nate Diaz #Quinton Jackson #GSP #Kevin Lee #Pancrase

According to Rick Story, Chael Sonnen showed the world how to beat Nate Marquardt. | Photo: Dave Mandel

Rick Story expects to be in great shape for his UFC Live 4 bout against Nate Marquardt if for no other reason than he hasn’t had a chance to get out of shape.

The June 26 fight will come less than a month after his UFC 130 win over Thiago Alves.

“I never had the opportunity to get out of shape,” Story said recently during a “Savage Dog Show” interview on the Sherdog Radio Network. “I’m just throwing in a few things for a new game plan and I’ve had more than enough time to get that game plan good. I’m ready to go.”

By beating Alves, a former title challenger, Story moved up the ranks in the UFC’s welterweight division. The victory was his sixth straight, and he came out of the fight wanting to ride the momentum.

“After the fight with Alves, we got a hold of [UFC matchmaker Joe Silva] pretty quickly,” he said. “My coach, Pat White, he does all the legwork for me. We talked it over. I wanted to fight as soon as possible. I wasn’t necessarily expecting a fight in like three weeks or three and a half weeks, but we requested a fight quickly.”

Marquardt had been scheduled to fight Anthony Johnson. When Johnson withdrew earlier this month due to an injury, though, Story stepped up on short notice.

“I want every fight that I can get that obviously will get me closer to that title, but then again, I love fighting,” Story explained. “It’s fun. You throw a challenge at me, I’m going to step up to it.”

The bout marks Marquardt’s drop from 185 pounds to 170. Story thinks that move could be a factor in the fight.

“I’m sure in his mind it probably wouldn’t change his game,” Story said, “but if he hasn’t been down to the 170-pound class in a long time, there’s going to be some thoughts going through his head on how he’s feeling during the fight.”

As for what it will take to beat Marquardt, he points to the strategy Chael Sonnen used in February 2010.

“If you watch his fight with Chael Sonnen, it’s pretty evident,” Story said. “He doesn’t have exceptional takedown defense, but he’s exceptional off his back. [It’s going to take] ground-and-pound and a high pace and you name it. In that Chael Sonnen fight, Chael went in that fight with a great game plan that worked for him. It showed a weakness in Marquardt’s game.”

With wins over Alves, Dustin Hazelett and Johny Hendricks, an additional victory over Marquardt could position Story very close to a title shot. He believes finishing Marquardt would help his chances.

“I think that it depends on how the fight ends up,” Story said. “If it’s another decision, it’s not as much a priority. But if I end up finishing Nate, I think that puts me closer to that title shot. I don’t know if it would be more deserving than either B.J. Penn or Jon Fitch, but I’m sure a lot of people would like to see me challenge St. Pierre or Diaz.”

Listen to the full interview (beginning at 1:00:31).

Comments

Scott Holtzman vs. Darrell Horcher first bout added to UFC Fight Night 123 in Fresno

UFC Fight Night 123 is taking shape with a lightweight bout between Scott Holtzman and Darrell Horcher.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Five bouts set for Fresno card

The UFC's first card in Fresno is starting to take shape, with five bouts made official for the Dec. 9 event at Save Mart Center. read news >>

Kevin Lee on near-miss at UFC 216 weigh-in: 'I ain't no bitch'

Kevin Lee showed little concern over the fact he nearly missed weight for his UFC 216 title fight and headliner vs. Tony Ferguson.Filed under: Blue Corner, Featured Videos, News, UFC read news >>

UFC champ Daniel Cormier now targets 2018 for title defense against Volkan Oezdemir

UFC light heavyweight champion Daniel Cormier expects to defend his title in early 2018, facing upstart Volkan Oezdemir in his first challenge since being re-crowned as the titleholder.Filed under: N read news >>

Watch Donald Cerrone Blast Rick Story (UFC Poland Free Fight) | MMAWeekly.com

Before he face Darren Till, check out Donald Cerrone's impressive knockout finish of Rick Story. read news >>

Before UFC-Gdansk headliner, watch Donald Cerrone's slick combo on Rick Story

• 23 hours ago

A few seconds of Donald Cerrone’s UFC 202 bout with Rick Story have become one of MMA’s more popular recent GIFs – and for good reason.Filed under: News, UFC, Videos read news >>

Charles Byrd Forced the Tap, Earned a UFC Contract (Free Fight Video) | MMAWeekly.com

• 21 hours ago

Witness Charles Byrd become the first fighter to go 2-0 on Dana White's Tuesday Night Contender Series and earn a UFC contract. read news >>

MMAjunkie reader predictions: Make your picks for UFC Fight Night 118 in Poland

• 20 hours ago

We want your predictions for Saturday’s UFC Fight Night 118 event in Las Vegas.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Why UFC 218's Justin Gaethje is publicly declaring short-notice fights are a no-no

• 19 hours ago

So let it be known: UFC lightweight standout Justin Gaethje doesn’t want to take short-notice fights in the octagon.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>

Ex-Bellator champ Will Brooks says he's fighting at UFC Fight Night 121

• 18 hours ago

After losing his latest matchup on a day’s notice, Will Brooks apparently will return to action next month at UFC Fight Night 121.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>