#UFC 217 #UFC Fight Night 120 #GSP #Michael Bisping #Conor McGregor #TJ Dillashaw #Nate Diaz #Cody Garbrandt #Dustin Poirier #Fight One #Anthony Pettis

Stefan Struve may have picked up a win on Saturday night in the UFC on Fuel TV 5 headliner, but the “Skyscraper” currently has something far more serious on his mind.

“My dad has been dying of cancer for about two months,” Struve told Fox Sports following his victory over Stipe Miocic at the Capital FM Arena in Nottingham, England. “He’s been in therapy for about four weeks, now. He’s doing well, but still, it was really tough. Happily, [I will get to go see him now]. I’ve been wanting to [see him] all week. I just feel great to get this win. It will be good to go home and just focus on that now.”

Struve (Pictured, file photo) managed to control his emotions during his first round with the hard-punching Ohioan, delivering one of his trademark slow starts. Miocic took advantage of Struve’s lack of urgency in keeping him at range by quickly closing the distance and continually ripping hooks to the head and body.

According to Struve, however, his conservative beginning to the fight fell in line with his game plan. In round two, the Dutchman looked like a completely different fighter, riffling off a steady stream of solid jabs before buckling the American with a sharp uppercut that put him on his bicycle midway through the frame.

Struve pursued his wounded prey, eager to finish the fight. However, despite landed cleanly several more times, the Bob Schrijber pupil was unable to locate Miocic’s chin. Abandoning his attack from range, Struve began to stand in front of his hurt opponent, a decision that allowed Miocic to fire back with heavy hooks over the top, one of which appeared to stagger the Dutchman momentarily. Despite this, Struve says that he was able to maintain his composure to weather Miocic’s retaliatory efforts.

“No, [he didn’t hurt me]. I’ve just got a couple of bruises, but I’m good. I think that people won’t discuss my jaw that much anymore,” said Struve. “I felt his right hand wasn’t hard enough to take me out if I just paid attention and [clenched] my jaw when he hit me.”

Struve fought through Miocic’s offense and quickly went back to work, blasting the former NCAA Division I wrestler with a combo ending with another hard right uppercut. Smelling blood, Struve advanced rapidly on his retreating foe, connecting with several more clubbing uppercuts that forced referee Herb Dean to save Miocic from further punishment.

“I saw he really slowed down in the second round, and I decided to chase him and really start pressuring him. I rocked him a couple of times and finished him with a good series of uppercuts,” said Miocic. “I’m still getting better and stronger with every single fight. There is a lot of power in my punches. Every single shot I hit him with, I just backed him down. I felt really good. I just need to use my reach more, but we’re working really hard on that.”

With four straight wins under his belt, Struve is eying a bump up in competition. Though the 24-year-old is ever-mindful that he still has plenty of time to fulfill his potential as a mixed martial artist, he did not mince words when asked whom he would like to face next.

“I think I’m one or two wins away [from a title shot],” Struve said. “I think [Fabricio] Werdum would be a great fight for me. He’s definitely one of the best guys in the world. His Brazilian jiu-jitsu is awesome, but I think I can compete with him on the ground, and I think I can definitely rough him up on the feet.”

Galleries

Fabricio Werdum Fights

• a year ago

Stefan Struve Fights

• 2 months ago

Stipe Miocic Fights

• a year ago

Comments

Mike Perry has big plans for when he's UFC champ, and it involves ... fighting Stipe Miocic?

For a guy who wasn’t even on the UFC Fight Night 118 card, Mike Perry had quite the week in Poland.Filed under: Featured, Featured Videos, News, UFC, Videos read news >>

UFC 217 medical suspensions: Georges St-Pierre, Stephen Thompson receive 45 days

New UFC middleweight champ Georges St-Pierre picked up a 45-day suspension after UFC 217, as did former training partner Stephen Thompson.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>

UFC interim champ Robert Whittaker picked Michael Bisping, will wait for Georges St-Pierre

Robert Whittaker favored Michael Bisping to beat Georges St-Pierre at UFC 217, but it looks like he’ll fight GSP instead.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>

UFC 217 results: Randy Brown tops Mickey Gall in back-and-forth-and-back-again fight

In a fight that was back and forth and back again, Randy Brown picked up a unanimous decision over Mickey Gall in a bloody ground fight. Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>

UFC Fight Night 121 pre-event facts: Fabricio Werdum brings big numbers

Check out 40 facts, figures and footnotes ahead of UFC-Sydney, which is headlined by Fabricio Werdum vs. Marcin Tybura.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC, Videos read news >>

Colby Covington, Fabricio Werdum get into ugly altercation outside UFC-Sydney hotel

Colby Covington crossed paths with Fabricio Werdum, and the result was an expletive-filled altercation with at least one homophobic slur caught on video.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>

Colby Covington, Fabricio Werdum Involved in Heated Altercation in Australia | MMAWeekly.com

Former UFC heavyweight champion Fabricio Werdum and top five ranked welterweight Colby Covington were involved in a physical altercation in Australia in the early morning local time on Thursday. Ther read news >>

Marcin Tybura Wants Title Shot With a Win Over Fabricio Werdum | MMAWeekly.com

Marcin Tybura wants a title shot if he gets past Fabricio Werdum at UFC Fight Night 121 in Australia. read news >>

Fabricio Werdum tired of trash talk culture with Conor McGregor copycats

Former UFC champion Fabricio Werdum is getting tired of everyone trying to do bad Conor McGregor impressions when it comes to trash talk.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC, Videos read news >>

Marcin Tybura sees major opportunity in UFC-Sydney headliner vs. Fabricio Werdum

• a day ago

Marcin Tybura is the underdog vs. Fabricio Werdum, but as Tybura puts it, “if you want to challenge yourself, you pick the better opponents.”Filed under: News, UFC, Videos read news >>