Stefan Struve believes the key to beating Dave Herman on Wednesday is staying calm.

“When [I] get a little crazy, just step back and keep my distance, use my reach to keep him at bay and just stay relaxed,” Struve told the Sherdog Radio Network’s “Savage Dog Show.” “That’s how I’ve fought my best fights. Just stay relaxed and composed and try to find the holes in his game. Don’t get drawn into a brawl -- that’s the most important thing for this fight.”

Struve meets Herman in a heavyweight bout on the main card of UFC on Fuel “Ellenberger vs. Sanchez.” Both fighters are coming off wins. Struve submitted Pat Barry in his most recent match, and Herman stopped John Olav Einemo.

“He’s got solid power in his punches,” Struve said of Herman. “The thing is, you don’t want to have him come in close to you throwing those shots and throwing those knees like Einemo did in his last fight. Einemo did that because he was really tired. He let [Herman] do that.”

At 6-foot-11, Struve plans on using his reach to keep Herman from closing the distance.

“For me, the game plan should be just to use my reach and keep my distance, pick him apart,” Struve said. “I think I’m better on the ground too. I think he’s a tough guy and an exciting fighter. It’s going to be a good fight on Wednesday.”

Struve’s ground game could be critical in the fight. His length helps him on the feet, but he also thinks it gives him an edge on the mat.

“I think it’s a huge advantage, not only [with] my guard but the way I set up chokes from any angle,” Struve said. “It’s so different than other people do it. It’s so much easier, and I lock up things so much faster than most people that they don’t really get to use the escapes they use normally. Not only is my guard really good, but the speed I have on the ground -- most people don’t know how to deal with it.”

The 23-year-old Dutchman has already fought nine times in the UFC, winning six of those matches. He’s not looking past Herman, but he has good reason to believe his best days lie ahead.

“I’m learning so much and I’m getting so much better,” Struve said. “Of course I’m still filling out my frame. I’ll be between 260 and 265 for this fight and I hope to come in at 290 in a couple of years. There’s still a lot of things to look out for.”

Listen to the full interview (beginning at 1:35:00).

Ronda Rousey's Future with UFC Commented on by Dana White on 'UFC Unfiltered'

Following consecutive decisive losses, UFC President Dana White believes Ronda Rousey may never again step foot inside the Octagon. On the latest episode of UFC.com's UFC Unfiltered (h/t Dann Stupp o read news >>

CM Punk Plans to Fight Again Whether It's in the UFC or Elsewhere | MMAWeekly.com

Despite losing in his UFC debut, CM Punk is determined to fight again whether it's in the UFC or not. read news >>

UFC Fight Night 104's Jessica Andrade believes title shot looms with win over Angela Hill

Jessica Andrade believes she’s close to a strawweight title shot, and that a win on Saturday might put her over the top. Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Yair Rodriguez believes Penn win has him creeping closer to UFC featherweight title shot

HOUSTON – After his brutal beatdown of UFC Hall of Famer B.J. Penn a few weeks ago, Yair Rodriguez can admit just taking the fight put him in a no-win situation. Filed under: Featured Videos, News, U read news >>

Demian Maia Issues Statement on Waiting for UFC Title Shot | MMAWeekly.com

Demian Maia believes he is next in line for a UFC welterweight title shot and is willing to wait for it. read news >>

Jacare Souza Believes Luke Rockhold is Avoiding Him, Remains Focused on the Belt (UFC 208 Video) | MMAWeekly.com

Jacare Souza believes Luke Rockhold is avoiding him and knows he has a tough fight with Tim Boetsch ahead, but he remains focused on a UFC title shot. read news >>

Dan Hardy believes UFC return could be near: 'Confident I have paperwork' that clears me

LONDON — If Dan Hardy has his way, he’ll be fighting inside the octagon before the end of 2018, explaining to MMAjunkie that a team of the United Kingdom’s best cardiologists have now cleared him to read news >>

UFC champ de Randamie believes hand surgery inevitable, responds to Holm, 'Cyborg'

On a media teleconference Thursday, Germaine de Randamie discussed the likelihood of hand surgery and responded to criticism from both Holly Holm and “Cyborg” Justino.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>

Marcus Edwards Believes LFA 5 Victory Puts Him at the UFC's Door | MMAWeekly.com

Marcus Edwards has a tough fight ahead of him at Friday's LFA 5 in Colorado, but believes a win puts him at the UFC's doorstep. read news >>

Adam Townsend Believes Road to the UFC Runs Through LFA 5 | MMAWeekly.com

• a day ago

For his first fight of 2017, Adam Townsend makes his Legacy Fighting Alliance debut against Marcus Edwards in a 155-pound main event on Friday. read news >>