#UFC 216 #Conor McGregor #Rizin 7 #Tony Ferguson #Nick Diaz #GSP #Kevin Lee #Nate Diaz #Quinton Jackson #Michael Bisping

Stefan Struve believes the key to beating Dave Herman on Wednesday is staying calm.

“When [I] get a little crazy, just step back and keep my distance, use my reach to keep him at bay and just stay relaxed,” Struve told the Sherdog Radio Network’s “Savage Dog Show.” “That’s how I’ve fought my best fights. Just stay relaxed and composed and try to find the holes in his game. Don’t get drawn into a brawl -- that’s the most important thing for this fight.”

Struve meets Herman in a heavyweight bout on the main card of UFC on Fuel “Ellenberger vs. Sanchez.” Both fighters are coming off wins. Struve submitted Pat Barry in his most recent match, and Herman stopped John Olav Einemo.

“He’s got solid power in his punches,” Struve said of Herman. “The thing is, you don’t want to have him come in close to you throwing those shots and throwing those knees like Einemo did in his last fight. Einemo did that because he was really tired. He let [Herman] do that.”

At 6-foot-11, Struve plans on using his reach to keep Herman from closing the distance.

“For me, the game plan should be just to use my reach and keep my distance, pick him apart,” Struve said. “I think I’m better on the ground too. I think he’s a tough guy and an exciting fighter. It’s going to be a good fight on Wednesday.”

Struve’s ground game could be critical in the fight. His length helps him on the feet, but he also thinks it gives him an edge on the mat.

“I think it’s a huge advantage, not only [with] my guard but the way I set up chokes from any angle,” Struve said. “It’s so different than other people do it. It’s so much easier, and I lock up things so much faster than most people that they don’t really get to use the escapes they use normally. Not only is my guard really good, but the speed I have on the ground -- most people don’t know how to deal with it.”

The 23-year-old Dutchman has already fought nine times in the UFC, winning six of those matches. He’s not looking past Herman, but he has good reason to believe his best days lie ahead.

“I’m learning so much and I’m getting so much better,” Struve said. “Of course I’m still filling out my frame. I’ll be between 260 and 265 for this fight and I hope to come in at 290 in a couple of years. There’s still a lot of things to look out for.”

Listen to the full interview (beginning at 1:35:00).

Galleries

Stefan Struve Fights

• a month ago

Comments

UFC 216's Fabricio Werdum: I deserve title shot with impressive win over Derrick Lewis

Fabricio Werdum believes an impressive win vs. Derrick Lewis at UFC 216 should get him the next shot at heavyweight champ Stipe Miocic.Filed under: News, UFC, Videos read news >>

Kevin Lee: Tony Ferguson's toughness just means he'll 'take a longer ass-whooping' at UFC 216

Kevin Lee believes Tony Ferguson is done evolving as a fighter, “and if you stop evolving, you start dying.”Filed under: Featured, News, UFC, Videos read news >>

If successful at UFC 216, UFC champ Demetrious Johnson explains who's next

If victorious at UFC 216, Demetrious Johnson will have the UFC title-defense record. He’ll also have his eye on who’s next.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>

UFC 217: Bisping vs. St-Pierre Official Fight Poster Unveiled | MMAWeekly.com

What do you think of the official UFC 217: Bisping vs. St-Pierre fight poster? read news >>

What happens when you pay a fighter to retire? What happens when you stop?

The UFC tried a creative approach to a problem as old as combat sports when it gave cushy jobs to legendary fighters it wanted to usher into retirement. Now those jobs are disappearing, and the retir read news >>

Former UFC Fighter Shayna Baszler Inks a Deal to Join WWE | MMAWeekly.com

Former UFC women's bantamweight competitor and "Ultimate Fighter" veteran Shayna Baszler has officially joined the WWE roster. WWE officials announced the news on Tuesday. Just recently, Baszler comp read news >>

UFC Champ Cody Garbrandt's Harrowing Account of Friend Being Shot at Las Vegas Concert (Video) | MMAWeekly.com

UFC champ Cody Garbrandt was not at the Route 91 Music Festival on Sunday, but recounts the harrowing details of a friend of his that was shot... twice. read news >>

Kevin Lee: Champ Conor McGregor has lost 3 of 4, got 'outwrestled' by 40-year-old boxer

UFC 216 headliner Kevin Lee is doing all he can to lure Conor McGregor into a UFC lightweight title-unification match.Filed under: News, UFC, Videos read news >>

Ronda Rousey Produced Documentary Series 'Why We Fight' Picked Up by Verizon Go90 | MMAWeekly.com

Former UFC women's bantamweight champion Ronda Rousey continued to push into new avenues outside the cage with her latest project getting picked up by Verizon's Go90 free video service. The documenta read news >>

UFC 216 pre-event facts: Tony Ferguson looks to extend longest win-streak in lightweight history

Check out 55 facts, figures and footnotes about UFC 216, which features a Tony Ferguson vs. Kevin Lee interim lightweight title main event.Filed under: News, UFC, Videos read news >>