#UFC Fight Night 118 #Darren Till #Donald Cerrone #Bellator 185 #Artem Lobov #Andre Fili #Gegard Mousasi #Alexander Shlemenko #Karolina Kowalkiewicz #Jan Blachowicz #Kristina Williams #Devin Clark #Bellator MMA #Sam Alvey #Ramazan Emeev

Naho Sugiyama Invicta FCInvicta FC will crown its first champion on Saturday night in Kansas City, Kan., when Jessica Penne and Naho “Sugi Rock” Sugiyama clash for the promotion’s atomweight title.

For Sugiyama, coming to America after a highly successful career in Japan – capturing a title in Jewels – is an unexpected opportunity that was too good to pass up.

“I’ve never even thought of fighting in America before, so I feel very honored,” said Sugiyama. “And this is my first visit to America too, so I am really looking forward to this.”

Excitement seems to be more the theme for Sugiyama’s Invicta debut, because, as she told MMAWeekly.com, the fact that her bout is a title fight isn’t adding any additional weight to her shoulders.

“I am not too conscious about this title fight thing, so (I’m) not feeling too much pressure,” she said.

When Sugiyama was asked if she had altered her training to prepare for American MMA rules such as allowing elbow strikes, she said, “A little bit.

“I was conscious about those differences in rules, but basically I’ve been doing the same training as usual.”

Sugiyama knows that if she’s going to take the title, doing so against Penne is not going to be an easy task.

“I think she is stronger than anyone I ever faced in the past,” said Sugiyama of Penne. “In terms of which part of my game is better than hers… well, I will not know that till I fight her.”

Regardless of whether or not she wins or loses, Sugiyama hopes to continue to fight for Invicta, as well as continue to expand her career.

“I am still in search of ‘my ultimate goal’ as a pro MMA fighter,” said Sugiyama. “And of course, I want to continue fighting for Invicta FC, and I also would like to fight in the other countries as well.

“I wanna leave a mark. I am going to fight hard so the fans would remember my name.”

Stay tuned to MMAWeekly.com for more Invicta FC news and updates.

Comments

Unbeaten Invicta FC vet Aspen Ladd joins UFC Fight Night 118 in Poland

After an unsuccessful first try, undefeated Aspen Ladd is slated again for her UFC debut.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Conor McGregor vs. Nate Diaz 3 on St. Patrick's Day makes sense to John Kavanagh. Sure, why not?

If it was up to Conor McGregor’s coach, the UFC lightweight champion and Nate Diaz would complete their trilogy early next year.Filed under: Blue Corner, Featured, Featured Videos, News, UFC read news >>

Andrea Lee talks USADA rule that scrapped UFC 216 debut, clears air on previously failed drug test

Former Invicta FC flyweight champ Andrea Lee has entered the USADA testing pool, though she’d rather her addition have been less dramatic.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>

Former Invicta FC Champion Advances Closer to UFC Title on TUF 26 | MMAWeekly.com

After back-to-back weeks of upsets on The Ultimate Fighter: A New World Champion, one of the favorites reminded everyone that Cinderella stories are rare. Former Invicta FC flyweight champion Barb Ho read news >>

Kevin Lee Makes Weight After Dramatic Scare at UFC 216 Weigh-Ins | MMAWeekly.com

Kevin Lee needed an extra hour, but eventually made weight for UFC 216. read news >>

UFC 216 results: Mara Romero Borella makes easy work of Kalindra Faria for first-round tap

Kalindra Faria was more than a 2-1 favorite against fellow newcomer Mara Romero Borella, but the underdog wiped that out almost immediately.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Fabricio Werdum Makes Quick Work of Walt Harris, Wants His Belt Back (UFC 216 Results) | MMAWeekly.com

Fabricio Werdum made quick work of last-minute replacement Walt Harris at UFC 216 and then took aim at Stipe Miocic. read news >>

Demetrious Johnson Makes History with Incredible Finish (UFC 216 Results) | MMAWeekly.com

Flyweight Demetrious Johnson made history on Saturday at T-Mobile Arena in Las Vegas defending his UFC title more than any other fighter in the promotion's history. In one-sided fashion, Johnson domi read news >>

Invicta FC strikes talent-sharing agreement with Japanese stalwart Pancrase

All-female MMA promotion Invicta FC is pairing up with Pancrase to share fighters.Filed under: News read news >>

Bellator 185 headliner Alexander Shlemenko: Win over Gegard Mousasi already makes me champ

It’s no secret ex-champ Alexander Shlemenko would like to fast-track his way back to the Bellator middleweight belt against Gegard Mousasi.Filed under: Bellator, Featured, News, Videos read news >>