Naho Sugiyama Invicta FCInvicta FC will crown its first champion on Saturday night in Kansas City, Kan., when Jessica Penne and Naho “Sugi Rock” Sugiyama clash for the promotion’s atomweight title.

For Sugiyama, coming to America after a highly successful career in Japan – capturing a title in Jewels – is an unexpected opportunity that was too good to pass up.

“I’ve never even thought of fighting in America before, so I feel very honored,” said Sugiyama. “And this is my first visit to America too, so I am really looking forward to this.”

Excitement seems to be more the theme for Sugiyama’s Invicta debut, because, as she told MMAWeekly.com, the fact that her bout is a title fight isn’t adding any additional weight to her shoulders.

“I am not too conscious about this title fight thing, so (I’m) not feeling too much pressure,” she said.

When Sugiyama was asked if she had altered her training to prepare for American MMA rules such as allowing elbow strikes, she said, “A little bit.

“I was conscious about those differences in rules, but basically I’ve been doing the same training as usual.”

Sugiyama knows that if she’s going to take the title, doing so against Penne is not going to be an easy task.

“I think she is stronger than anyone I ever faced in the past,” said Sugiyama of Penne. “In terms of which part of my game is better than hers… well, I will not know that till I fight her.”

Regardless of whether or not she wins or loses, Sugiyama hopes to continue to fight for Invicta, as well as continue to expand her career.

“I am still in search of ‘my ultimate goal’ as a pro MMA fighter,” said Sugiyama. “And of course, I want to continue fighting for Invicta FC, and I also would like to fight in the other countries as well.

“I wanna leave a mark. I am going to fight hard so the fans would remember my name.”

Stay tuned to MMAWeekly.com for more Invicta FC news and updates.

Jessica Andrade Dominates Angela Hill, Lays Claim to Invicta Title (UFC Houston Results) | MMAWeekly.com

After dominating Angela Hill, Jessica Andrade laid claim to the Invicta FC title and called out UFC champion Joanna Jedrzejczyk. read news >>

Invicta FC bantamweight Aspen Ladd eyes UFC deal: 'If they call, I'm going'

After adding a fifth win to an undefeated pro run spent entirely in the Invicta FC cage, 21-year-old bantamweight Aspen Ladd says she is ready for the octagon.Filed under: Featured Videos, News, Radi read news >>

USA TODAY Sports/MMAjunkie Rankings, Jan. 31: Shevchenko-Pena flip-flop, Masvidal makes big leap

This past Saturday’s UFC on FOX 23 event in Denver saw some shifts in the balance of a couple divisions. Filed under: Bellator, MMA Rankings, News, UFC, WSOF read news >>

The Complete Guide to UFC Fight Night 104: Bermudez vs. Korean Zombie

Fan-favorite Chan Sung Jung, the Korean Zombie, finally makes his long-awaited return to the Octagon after three years away due to injuries and a two-year stint in the South Korean military. He takes read news >>

UFC Fight Night 104 results: Tecia Torres makes easy work of Bec Rawlings in rematch

HOUSTON – Bec Rawlings weighed in heavy, and showed up to fight with a purple pom-pom on her head that made her tough to miss. Tecia Torres came in on weight and with some nifty footwork that made he read news >>

Jessica Andrade declares herself Invicta FC champ, ready to unify belts against Jedrzejczyk

Happy with an “incredible” fight against Angela Hill on Saturday, UFC Fight Night 104 winner Jessica Andrade is ready for champ Joanna Jedrzejczyk: “Do you want a fight? I’m here. April, May, June – read news >>

Despite loss, Angela Hill thankful for Invicta FC stint, wants to follow Cerrone's and Magny's lead

HOUSTON – After an unsuccessful but action-packed start to her second octagon stint, UFC Fight Night 104’s Angela Hill is in it for the long run: “I want to be like Neil Magny or Donald Cerrone, just read news >>

Invicta FC champ Ayaka Hamasaki moving up a weight class for non-title fight

Invicta FC champ atomweight champion Ayaka Hamasaki is looking for a bigger challenge.Filed under: News read news >>

Invicta FC 22 adds four fights, including rebooked DeAnna Bennett vs. Jodie Esquibel

Next month’s return of Invicta FC continues to build with the addition of four new fights. Filed under: News read news >>

Atomweight Champ Ayaka Hamasaki Moves to Strawweight for Invicta FC 22 | MMAWeekly.com

Invicta FC will showcase its deep strawweight roster next month. On Thursday, the promotion added four 115-pound bouts to its Invicta FC 22 fight card. read news >>