#Conor McGregor #UFC 216 #Tony Ferguson #Fight Night Rotterdam #GSP #Nate Diaz #Darren Till #Kevin Lee #Dominick Cruz #UFC Fight Night 118 #Donald Cerrone #Cody Garbrandt

Chael Sonnen (file photo) still has doubts he will rematch Anderson Silva. | File Photo: Sherdog.com

A little more than a week out from his scheduled co-main event bout with Mark Munoz, Chael Sonnen was thrown a curveball when Michael Bisping stepped in to replace the injured “Filipino Wrecking Machine.”

As it turned out, Bisping gave Sonnen all he could handle in their UFC on Fox 2 bout at the United Center in Chicago on Saturday night.

“Michael Bisping hit me so hard in the first round I didn’t even know what day it was,” Sonnen said during the post-fight press conference. “I remember when I came to, looking at him and thinking, ‘Oh my God you have no idea how bad you’ve hurt me or you’d step in and do something about it.’”

The outspoken middleweight kept his wits about him enough to take home a unanimous decision against the Brit, however. All three judges scored it for Sonnen: 30-27, 29-28 and 29-28, giving the Team Quest representative his fifth victory in six fights.

Sonnen was able to land takedowns in all three rounds, but Bisping was able to get his feet and often controlled the action against the cage.

“I was never in a position tonight where I was comfortable, not one,” Sonnen said. “It was 15 awkward minutes. I got him down on the ground, and he’d throw a hook in, blocking me. As soon as I [would] create a space, he pushed away [and] popped up.”

The first two rounds were closely contested, but it was in the final frame that Sonnen did his best work. The 34-year-old took Bisping down early in the round, took his back and attempted to secure a rear-naked choke. Unlike the first 10 minutes, Sonnen was able to maintain his dominant position for the majority of the stanza, moving to full mount and landing body punches and elbows.

Sonnen was aware that a final surge was essential to winning the fight.

“I knew we were in the middle of a close fight. I knew I needed to win the third round. I had a sense of urgency for sure; I think we both did,” he said.

As they awaited the final ruling, neither fighter was completely confident of what decision the judges would render.

“I said, ‘Hey what do you think?’ He said. ‘I don't know, I think I got the first two.’ And I said, ‘I think you might be right,’” Sonnen recalled. “That doesn't mean I disagree with the judges. They were close rounds.”

With the win, Sonnen earns a rematch with middleweight champion Anderson Silva, who submitted him with a triangle armbar at UFC 117. The No. 1 contender remains skeptical that the fight will happen.

“I know I’ll do my part in that. Do I think that he’ll sign the fight? No, I don't. We'll see. I’ve been wrong before. The one thing [the UFC] haven’t revealed is they’ve offered him the fight four times, and he’s said no four times,” Sonnen said. “Mysteriously he’s supposed to accept on the fifth.”

Regardless of what happens with Silva down the road, Sonnen has plenty of respect for Bisping.

“I can assure you, having fought him and the alleged champion, he could win the title today if they gave him his opportunity,” he said.

Comments

Dachi Abe Survives All-Out War at UFC Japan (Fight Highlights) | MMAWeekly.com

Check out highlights from Dachi Abe's miraculous comeback victory over Hyun Gyu Lim at UFC Fight Night 117 on Friday in Japan. read news >>

Dachi Abe Survives All-Out War at UFC Japan (Fight Highlights) | MMAWeekly.com

Check out highlights from Daichi Abe's miraculous comeback victory over Hyun Gyu Lim at UFC Fight Night 117 on Friday in Japan. read news >>

Jessica Andrade Bloodies and Batters Claudia Gadelha in Co-Main Event at UFC in Japan | MMAWeekly.com

Jessica Andrade made a very strong statement with her win on Friday night as she bloodied and battered former title contender Claudia Gadelha en route to a lopsided decision in the co-main event at U read news >>

Twitter reacts to Paul Daley's wild knockout of Lorenz Larkin at Bellator 183

See the top Twitter reacts to Paul Daley’s knockout of Lorenz Larkin in the Bellator 183 co-main event.Filed under: Bellator, News read news >>

Co-Main Event Podcast: Download episode No. 274 with Ben Fowlkes, Chad Dundas

Episode No. 274 of the Co-Main Event Podcast now is available for streaming and download. This week, the dudes look back on a busy weekend with both UFC and Bellator shows.Filed under: News read news >>

M-1's 'best knockouts ever' video delivers on its promise (with some vintage Fedor!)

Who doesn’t want to see five minutes of knockout highlights from the past two decades?Filed under: Blue Corner, Featured Videos, News, Videos read news >>

Demetrious Johnson Reacts to Being Co-Main Event Behind Ferguson vs. Lee at UFC 216 | MMAWeekly.com

A month ago, Demetrious Johnson was headlining UFC 215 in Canada with the chance to break the all time title defense record in UFC history with his fight against Ray Borg. Unfortunately, Borg fell il read news >>

Co-Main Event Podcast: Download episode No. 275 with Ben Fowlkes, Chad Dundas

Episode No. 275 of the Co-Main Event Podcast now is available for streaming and download. This week, the lads look ahead to UFC 216 and its two title fights while also talking about Conor McGregor’s read news >>

McGregor movie coming to theaters in November

Thursday afternoon UFC superstar Conor McGregor tweeted out a trailer for his new movie scheduled to be released this November. Click over to conormcgregorfilm.com to learn more. read news >>

Bellator 184 results: Leandro Higo outworks Joe Taimanglo for unanimous decision

Leandro Higo outworked Joe Taimanglo over 15 minutes to pick up the first Bellator win of his career. Filed under: Bellator, News read news >>