#UFC 217 #Michael Bisping #Conor McGregor #GSP #TJ Dillashaw #Cody Garbrandt #UFC Fight Night 55

File Photo: Dave Mandel/Sherdog.com

Chael Sonnen expects his one-man crusade against middleweight champion Anderson Silva to reach its crescendo at UFC 117 on Aug. 7 at the Oracle Arena in Oakland, Calif. Until then, count on him keeping up the rhetoric.

During a Q&A session Friday at the Arco Arena in Sacramento, Calif., Sonnen rekindled his criticism of Silva, whose unanimous decision victory over Demian Maia at UFC 112 earlier this month had UFC President Dana White fuming and detractors coming out of the woodwork. Still widely regarded as the world’s top pound-for-pound fighter, Silva danced and clowned his way to his 12th consecutive victory at the Ferrari World Concert Arena in Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates.

Count Sonnen among those who were not impressed.

“Anderson Silva’s a liar,” Sonnen said. “He said he would fight in Abu Dhabi, and he didn’t fight. I did my level best to watch it. I couldn’t stomach it. I’m not on the bandwagon to completely kick Anderson to the curb for that, because I don’t know why he does it. If he did it to be a jerk, then he’s a jerk. If he did it as a setup, I give him a pass.”

Sonnen vowed to push Silva when the two meet this summer.

I’m going to pick him
up, and I’m going to
put him on his prissy
little ass. You can
guarantee that.

-- Sonnen on Silva.

“I have an obligation to make him fight,” he said. “When I got a call from Dana that said, ‘Will you fight this guy?’ I said, ‘You bet I’ll fight him. I don’t know who will win.’ And I don’t know who will win. I’m not a bully. If I knew I could beat this guy, I wouldn’t show up. I don’t know that I can beat him, but I can guarantee you there will be a fight.”

Sonnen, one of the last men standing in the UFC’s middleweight division, parlayed wins over one-time International Fight League champion Dan Miller, former middleweight King of Pancrase Nate Marquardt and the world-ranked Yushin Okami into a crack at the belt. At 33, he has blossomed into one of the sport’s elite competitors at 185 pounds.

“I’ve put a whole lifetime into getting this one night, this one opportunity,” Sonnen said. “There’s a saying that Matt Hughes started that you’re never the champion unless you defend that belt. That’s a bunch of crap. You leave that ring with 12 pounds of gold around your waist, you are the world champion. I would trade everything I’ve got and start over from scratch tomorrow for one night to walk out of that ring with that belt.”

In Silva, he faces the mother of all uphill climbs. A multi-faceted performer and perhaps the game’s most accomplished striker, the Brazilian has not suffered a legitimate defeat in more than five years. His 11 consecutive victories inside the Octagon stand as an all-time record.

“He’s a fantastic fighter,” Sonnen said. “I’m not delusional to his skill set. I don’t care if he’s better. He can be better, but I’m tougher, and in 25 minutes, we’re going to find out who’s toughest. One of us is going to stick around and grind it out for 25, and I propose it’s me. As far as his weaknesses, I don’t know what they are. I know what my strengths are, and that’s what I bring to the table.”

Most point to Silva’s wrestling as the most glaring hole in his game. Marquardt, Dan Henderson and Travis Lutter all took down the 35-year-old inside the Octagon. All three came up short in their bids to unseat him. Based at the wrestling-rich Team Quest, Sonnen was United States Olympic Team alternate and All-American at the University of Oregon.

“I’m going to get into range,” Sonnen said. “I accept I’m going to get hit, and I accept that it’s going to hurt. I will go to the hospital that night, but in those 25 minutes, I will be in range the whole time. If he wants to throw one of those fists at me, he can go right ahead. I’m going to walk right through them. I’m going to grab his legs. I’m going to push him into that fence. I’m going to pick him up, and I’m going to put him on his prissy little ass. You can guarantee that.

“I am giving Anderson Silva the fair chance to back out and back out now,” he added, “but as sure as night follows day, if he does not heed my warning, I will declare war, and, on Aug. 7, his 15 minutes of fame will come to an abrupt halt.”

Galleries

Anderson Silva Fights

• 9 months ago

Chael Sonnen Fights

• 5 months ago

Comments

Derek Brunson Expects the Best Lyoto Machida, the Machida that was UFC Champion | MMAWeekly.com

Derek Brunson is expecting the championship caliber Lyoto Machida, despite the Dragon's two-year layoff. read news >>

UFC champ Cody Garbrandt calls T.J. Dillashaw 'a gimme,' looks toward 'Mighty Mouse'

UFC bantamweight champion Cody Garbrandt expects ex-champ T.J. Dillashaw to be a stopover on his ultimate goal of taking the title from flyweight champ Demetrious Johnson.Filed under: Featured, News, read news >>

Anderson Silva flagged for potential doping violation, pulled from UFC Fight Night 122

Anderson Silva has been notified of a potential violation of the UFC’s anti-doping policy and has been pulled from a planned UFC Fight Night 122 headliner with Kelvin Gastelum.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Anderson Silva flagged for potential doping violation, pulled from fight with Kelvin Gastelum | MMAWeekly.com

Former UFC middleweight champion Anderson Silva has been flagged for a potential doping violation from USADA (United States Anti-Doping Agency) and pulled from his upcoming fight against Kelvin Gaste read news >>

Anderson Silva Out of Kelvin Gastelum Fight After Possible Failed Drug Test

UFC announced Friday that Anderson Silva has been removed from his scheduled fight against Kelvin Gastelum at UFC Fight Night on Nov. 25 in Shanghai, China, due to a potential anti-doping policy viol read news >>

Michael Bisping and Kelvin Gastelum UFC Shanghai Media Call | MMAWeekly.com

(Courtesy of UFC) After Anderson Silva was pulled from the UFC Shanghai main event because of a potential anti-doping violation, Michael Bisping agreed to step into the fight with Kelvin Gastelum wit read news >>

Michael Bisping Replaces Anderson Silva at UFC Shanghai After Failed Drug Test

Michael Bisping suffered one of the toughest losses of his UFC career at UFC 217, dropping the middleweight championship to Georges St-Pierre after getting choked out cold. So how is the Brit recover read news >>

Michael Bisping Agrees to Replace Anderson Silva at UFC China | MMAWeekly.com

Former UFC middleweight champion Michael Bisping has agreed to step in for fellow former titleholder Anderson Silva at UFC Fight Night 122. Silva was slated to meet Kelvin Gastelum in the event's hea read news >>

ABC head expects UFC will sanction Conor McGregor for Bellator 187 cage jump – and says he's off UFC 219

ABC head Mike Mazzulli is evaluating legal options for how to handle the cage-hopping incident involving Conor McGregor at Bellator 187.Filed under: Bellator, Featured, News, UFC read news >>

Michael Bisping Replaces Anderson Silva at UFC Shanghai After Failed Drug Test