#UFC London #Fabricio Werdum #Alexander Volkov #Jan Blachowicz #Jimi Manuwa #Khabib Nurmagomedov #UFC 223 #Conor McGregor #Tony Ferguson #Rose Namajunas

'Smiling Tony' is enjoying training for Lee

Known for his work ethic and punishing daily training routine, Tony Ferguson isn’t switching things up too much in preparation for his UFC 216 main event against Kevin Lee, but he is adding an odd twist.

“The theme for this camp is ‘Smile Tony,’” laughs the man challenging for the interim UFC lightweight title at T-Mobile Arena on Oct. 7. “Because when I smile in my fights, you have the fights like Edson Barboza and Josh Thomson.”

Those aforementioned 2015 bouts, part of Ferguson’s current nine-fight winning streak, didn’t just earn him victories, but three combined bonuses. The moral of the story? If “El Cucuy” is smiling, it’s good for the fans and bad for his opponents.

Then again, the 33-year-old former Ultimate Fighter winner has been bad for his opponents’ business for a long time now. And while he’s taken the long road to the top, that patience served him well when hit with another speed bump in March, as Khabib Nurmagomedov had to pull out of their interim title fight due to complications with his weight cut.

“It definitely had a part to play in getting over UFC 209 and Khabib Nurmagomedov,” said Ferguson, who has yet to add “The Eagle” to his Christmas card list. “It was one of those things where I had so much time invested into this and he goes and he messes it up by not making weight and being unprofessional. How silly can you be? I guess it wasn’t that important to him. It’s sad. We’re professionals and we’re here to do one thing, and that’s get inside that Octagon, and that’s it. If that’s too much for you, then you’re in the wrong damn sport.”

Ferguson has no shortage of opinions on Nurmagomedov, and it’s likely that in the lead up to UFC 216, he will be asked about the unbeaten contender and the man with the lightweight crown, Conor McGregor. So it’s got to be hard to hear all that, knowing that Lee is waiting to punch him in the face in October. But Ferguson has come up with a solution.

“I keep my eye on four opponents,” he said. “That’s who I’m training for. So if there’s any kind of switch or any kind of anything, I’ll be ready for it. It doesn’t matter.”

Four opponents? Lee, McGregor, Nurmagomedov and?

“There’s three guys and then there’s myself,” Ferguson explains. “The one person that’s gonna beat me out of this whole entire thing is myself. I’ve said that the whole way to get here and I said that I was going to beat everybody’s ass on the way here. I don’t want anybody to call me a liar, so it’s very important that my skill set is there so it doesn’t matter if it’s Lee, McGregor or Nurmagomedov. Once I hit somebody with my jab, it starts tasting like battery acid and they don’t want anything to do with me anymore, and they start running away from me like Katsunori Kikuno. Luckily, for me, I was a D-back (in football), so I can catch you. I just don’t see any of these guys posing a threat to me, especially when I’m allowing myself to be coached again.”

Ferguson, who has run his show in camp for a while, is now in the Blackhouse Gym in Southern California, and he’s enjoying being coached and being part of a team again. And though it’s another change in his professional life in the lead-up to a big fight, some guys just love being in the eye of the hurricane.

“I thrive in chaos,” he said. “And you can learn how to control the chaos factor and hone it in and channel it through positive energy the way I have been doing my entire life. You can embrace it or fall off, and I’m not falling off one bit.”

Bad news for Kevin Lee.

“I said I was gonna bring the knives out for this guy and I’m going to,” Ferguson said. “I think he’s a good athlete, he still has some learning to do, and I was 24 once myself. But this dude needs to be humbled.”

Watch Past Fights

Relive Tony Ferguson's First-Round KO of Katsunori Kikuno: UFC KO of the Week | MMAWeekly.com

Interim UFC lightweight champion Tony Ferguson was a prospect when he knocked out Katsunori Kikuno at UFC 173 in 2014. read news >>

UFC 223: Ferguson vs. Khabib Official Trailer - "Nowhere to Hide" | MMAWeekly.com

There's nowhere to hide when interim lightweight champion Tony Ferguson and Khabib Nurmagomedov finally square off inside the Octagon at UFC 223 on April 7. read news >>

Conor McGregor Stars in New 'Burger King' Commercial (VIDEO) | MMAWeekly.com

Conor McGregor is back — well sort of. The UFC lightweight champion...for now anyways...has landed a new commercial with Burger King as he helps them promote their new spicy chicken sandwich. McGrego read news >>

UFC lightweight Marco Polo Reyes notified of potential doping violation

Marco Polo Reyes failed a U.S. Anti-Doping Agency (USADA) drug test and has been notified of a potential UFC doping policy violation. read news >>

Relive Fabricio Werdum Knocking Out Mark Hunt: UFC KO of the Week | MMAWeekly.com

Fabricio Werdum became the interim UFC heavyweight champion when he knocked out Mark Hunt at UFC 180 in 2014. Watch now! read news >>

Khabib Nurmagomedov Mocks Conor McGregor: 'This Is Not a Burger King's Sport'

Khabib Nurmagomedov has a warning for UFC lightweight champion Conor McGregor; take the money and run. With McGregor's future still uncertain and Nurmagomedov poised for his first-ever pay-per-view m read news >>

Video: Before UFC 223 title fight, watch Tony Ferguson meet ex-champ Rafael dos Anjos in 2016

• a day ago

Before winning the UFC interim lightweight title, Tony Ferguson picked up five straight fight-night bonuses, including this one for his victory over ex-champion Rafael dos Anjos. read news >>

Watch Tony Ferguson Defeat Former Champ Rafael Dos Anjos (UFC 223 Free Fight) | MMAWeekly.com

• a day ago

Relive Tony Ferguson's victory over former UFC lightweight champion Rafael Dos Anjos. read news >>

Outspoken Kajan Johnson on Project Spearhead, staying true to self: 'I don't really fear the UFC'

UFC lightweight Kajan Johnson has it in his nature to speak out against injustice of any nature: “I have to be able to be myself.” read news >>

Frankie Edgar vs. Brian Ortega Featherweight Showdown Green Lit for UFC 222 (Video) | MMAWeekly.com

Former UFC lightweight champion Frankie Edgar put a title shot at risk to face Brian Ortega at UFC 222 on Saturday. Following Friday's official weigh-in, their featherweight eliminator is a go. read news >>

Conor McGregor to lose UFC lightweight belt to Ferguson-Nurmagomedov winner on April 7

UFC President Dana White confirms that sidelined Conor McGregor will lose lightweight belt to the April 7 Tony Ferguson-Khabib Nurmagomedov winner in Brooklyn. read news >>

Conor McGregor Brags He Surpassed Cristiano Ronaldo Ahead of Forbes Highest-Paid Athlete List | MMAWeekly.com

UFC lightweight champion Conor McGregor is already bragging that he has surpassed soccer star Cristiano Ronaldo as the highest paid athlete in the world. read news >>

Devin Clark vs. Mike Rodriguez booked for UFC 223 in Brooklyn

The UFC’s return to Brooklyn in April has a new light heavyweight booking, giving the show a baker’s dozen fights. read news >>

Undefeated Ketlen Vieira Wants Title Shot After UFC 222 Win | MMAWeekly.com

Unbeaten Ketlen Vieira extended her unbeaten streak to 10 consecutive fights when she defeated former title challenger Cat Zingano at UFC 222. read news >>

Tony Martin vs. Keita Nakamura added to UFC Fight Night 128 in Atlantic City

The UFC’s return to New Jersey continues to build with the addition of a welterweight fight. read news >>

Tim Means says UFC paid his win bonus for UFC-Belem split-decision loss to Moraes

Tim Means forever will have a loss on his resume at UFC Fight Night 125, but at least now his bank account won’t know the difference. read news >>

Search for: