Smealinho RamaFive first-round finishes in five fights during his rookie campaign in 2012 has MFC heavyweight prospect Smealinho Rama on the verge of becoming the promotion’s big man.

“I’m pretty happy that they were all first-round finishes, and that’s what I want to continue to do,” said Rama of his fast start. “I don’t want to be a decision fighter. I want to finish every fight and make it exciting and want the fans to love it.”

Still early in his career, Rama realizes that he still has a lot of growth ahead of him.

“I’m pretty happy with what I did, but there’s always room for improvement,” he said. “I’d like to be more the fighter that I am in the gym in the ring and let loose a bit more and have a good time out there.

“I feel I’ve changed quite a bit (since my debut). I’m a better fighter. I’m better with the media. I’m training harder. I’m learned what my body needs and how to train properly and not over-train and how to set myself up to have a positive training camp before a fight.”

For Rama’s first fight of 2013, he’ll be fighting in what is essentially a heavyweight title eliminator against Mike “Honey Badger” Hackert at MFC 36 live on AXS TV on Friday night in Edmonton, Canada.

“We wanted this fight as soon as possible,” said Rama. “I wanted to get this fight in my third or fourth fight, and unfortunately we couldn’t get it, but here we are now. We knew whoever the number one guy was, we were going to get it; it was only a matter of time.

“Now I’ve got the fight that I’ve wanted and I’m just ready to take the number one spot and get my title shot.”

Rama told MMAWeekly.com that he feels he’s well-rounded enough to take the fight wherever he wants it to go, be dominant in all positions and continue his winning streak.

“All I need to do I think is just go out there and do what I want do,” he said. “Do my thing, do what I’ve learned and the fight will be just like every other fight.”

Even though he’s entering only the second year of his career, Rama feels he’s established himself through his performances in his fights and now seeks to be recognized for what he’s accomplished.

“In a way, I do have something to prove and I don’t,” he said. “People still look at me as an underdog, but all my fights have been first-round stoppages. When I’ve got the number one spot, maybe I’ll get a little more attention, but I’m not looking for attention. I’m looking for fights. I’m looking for sponsors and exposure.

“I want the world to see me. I don’t want the world to know me. I don’t want them to talk about me, but know that I’m there and I’m a legitimate contender. I want to take the number one ranking, take the MFC title and I want to keep this steady road I’ve been going on this past 12 months.”

UFC on FOX 23 results: Jason Gonzalez leaves J.C. Cottrell with regret after first-round D'Arce choke

DENVER – Jason Gonzalez’s early success against J.C. Cottrell came on the feet, but it was his skills on the mat that ultimately decided the fight. Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

UFC on FOX 23 results: Francis Ngannou wastes Andrei Arlovski for fast first-round TKO

DENVER – Francis Ngannou passed his first test against a marquee name, knocking out Andrei Arlovski to pick up his fifth straight win and advance in the heavyweight division.Filed under: Featured, Ne read news >>

Cerrone vs. Masvidal Results: Winner and Reaction from UFC on Fox 23

Donald Cerrone’s Cinderella march through the welterweight division encountered its first bit of adversity Saturday at UFC on Fox 23. Jorge Masvidal dashed Cerrone’s four-fight winning streak at 170 read news >>

UFC on FOX 23 post-fight facts: Francis Ngannou overtakes lead for consecutive UFC finishes

For the first time since UFC on FOX 4 in August 2012, every fight on a FOX-televised main card ended in a stoppage. As we learn in the post-event facts, Francis Ngannou’s knockout set a new high amon read news >>

Is the UFC's women's bantamweight division set for a return to nicer, bleaker days?

The next UFC women’s bantamweight title fight appears to be set, but as champion Amanda Nunes faced off with Valentina Shevchenko after UFC on FOX 23, one didn’t get the sense that we were looking at read news >>

Is Francis Ngannou the Next UFC Heavyweight Champion? (UFC on FOX 23) | MMAWeekly.com

Francis Ngannou has stormed into the UFC heavyweight division. Is he the next great UFC heavyweight champion? read news >>

UFC Denver Quick Results: Finishes Abound in the Mile-High City | FIGHTLAND

Photos by Josh Hedges/Zuffa LLC On Saturday night, the UFC returned to beautiful Denver, Colorado with UFC on Fox 23. Headlined by a women’s bantamweight number one contender fight and featuring some read news >>

UFC Denver Quick Results: Finishes Abound in the Mile-High City | FIGHTLAND

Large Fight Erupts Outside Conor McGregor Q&A Pay-Per-View | MMAWeekly.com

While Conor McGregor was in Manchester, England, talking about potential fights, the real action erupted outside after he was done answering questions. read news >>

Relive Jorge Masvidal's Backyard Fights vs. Kimbo Slice's Protege

This past Saturday at UFC on Fox 23, Jorge Masvidal put on the most impressive performance of his 14-year professional MMA career. His opponent, Donald Cerrone, had been knocked out only twice in his read news >>