#UFC Fight Night 83 #Saturday Night Fights #Luke Rockhold #GGG #David Branch #DWTNCS #Conor McGregor #UFC 215 #Michael Bisping #Nate Diaz

royston-wee-ufc-fight-night-34

SINGAPORE – To say there was a little pressure on Royston Wee this week would probably be an understatement.

After just two pro fights, Wee signed with the UFC as the promotion’s first fighter from Singapore and made his promotional debut in the UFC’s first event there. Not only was he fighting for personal pride, but he had an entire country he was trying to do right by, as well.

But even as an underdog, Wee (3-0 MMA, 1-0 UFC) left little doubt with a dominant win over David Galera (5-1 MMA, 0-1 UFC). He had to eat an illegal upkick to get there, but it probably was worth the price.

“It feels great,” Wee said after the win. “Coming into this fight, there was a lot of pressure from the public and the media. I just did what I needed to do – train hard and get my win.”

The 27-year-old bantamweight had to leave the first round for the first time against Galera. His first two pro fights both ended with first-round submissions – and those wins were more than two years ago.

So he had the pressure of a long layoff to go along with the pressure of performing in front of his home fans at Marina Bay Sands Expo and Convention Centre in Singapore.

But it’s pressure that he tried his best to eschew ahead of the fight.

“Whether or not there are people who doubt me, my intention in the UFC is to win and to perform,” he said. “I’m glad I got my first win in my debut and I hope I brought a good fight to you guys. I’ve been training very hard for the past six months. I haven’t really had a break at all. I’m just glad I’m able to perform and bring a win tonight. I was just relieved that I can now take a vacation.”

Mark Fischer, the UFC’s Executive Vice President and Managing Director of UFC Asia, said he was encouraged by what Wee brought to the table in his debut.

“I think he’s got a very bright future based on what we saw tonight,” Fischer said. “A lot of people questioned Royston – is he the right guy? Is he really the best fighter in Singapore to be the first (in the UFC)? And I think he proved tonight that Sean Shelby and the guys who make those decisions in the UFC were correct. We’re looking forward to seeing Royston in the octagon again.

For complete coverage of UFC Fight Night 34, stay tuned to the UFC Events section of the site.

John Morgan contributed to this report from Singapore.

Comments

Demetrious Johnson Predicts Mayweather vs. McGregor Upset | MMAWeekly.com

UFC flyweight champion Demetrious Johnson breaks down the Floyd Mayweather vs. Conor McGregor super fight and predicts an upset. read news >>

UFC-Rotterdam results: Darren Till strikes, showboats his way past Bojan Velickovic in crowd pleaser

English welterweight Darren Till remained unbeaten as a professional, flashing his confidence and creativity in an exciting decision win.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Ketlen Vieira Beats Sara McMann at Her Own Game (UFC 215 Fight Highlights) | MMAWeekly.com

Check out highlights from Ketlen Vieira's upset of Sara McMann at UFC 215 on Saturday in Edmonton. read news >>

Beating Johnson not an upset in Borg's mind

Ray Borg doesn’t need any reminders from the past to let him know what he’s going up against on Saturday, because, to him, beating Demetrious Johnson wouldn’t be an upset. read news >>

UFC Fight Night 116's Mike Perry not so subtly accuses Thiago Alves of ducking

Mike Perry is upset at opportunity lost by Thiago Alves’ withdrawal. But he’ll take it out on short-notice replacement Alex Reyes.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC, Videos read news >>

Alex Reyes has upset of Mike Perry on his mind on super short notice at UFC Fight Night 116

Alex Reyes took his fight with the dangerous Mike Perry on just three days’ notice for the UFC Fight Night 116 co-main event.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC, Videos read news >>

UFC-Pittsburgh results: Justin Ledet jabs his way past Zu Anyanwu

Justin Ledet kept his punches tight, once again flashing an impressive jab in a 15-minute contest with UFC newcomer Zu Anyanwu.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Controversial Judge from Canelo vs. Golovkin Pulled from UFC 216 Duties | MMAWeekly.com

A scoring controversy surrounding the boxing match this past weekend between Saul "Canelo" Alvarez and Gennady "GGG" Golovkin has resulted in a judging change for the upcoming UFC 216 card in Las Veg read news >>

UFC champ Michael Bisping's ideal scenario could delay retirement past GSP fight

• 18 hours ago

Michael Bisping (sort of) walks back his comments on his last fight potentially being at UFC 217 against Georges St-Pierre.Filed under: Featured, Featured Videos, News, UFC read news >>

Ray Borg says he's going to end Demetrious Johnson's career in UFC 215 title fight

Ray Borg believes he’s not only going to upset UFC flyweight champ Demetrious Johnson, but also retire him at UFC 215.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>