mauricio-shogun-rua-27.jpgWith a decade of highlight-reel finishes under his belt, it seems impossible that Mauricio Rua today celebrates just his 32nd birthday. Next month, he meets James Te Huna, and “Shogun” plans to go toe-to-toe.

“He’s a very good boxer,” Rua told MMAjunkie through an interpreter. “I know him and his style. It’s a fight that fans will want to watch because there’s going to be a lot of striking.”

Rua, a former UFC light heavyweight champion, has struggled in recent outings, losing back-to-back fights for the first time in his career. In August, he headlined the UFC first-ever event to air on FOX Sports 1 and suffered a shocking first-round submission loss to Chael Sonnen.

“I’ve thought about it,” Rua said. “I made a mistake, and he capitalized on it. I lost the fight, but it was all his merit.”

But Rua won’t be sidelined long, as he was quickly booked for next month’s UFC Fight Night 33 event, where he’ll travel to Australia, home of fellow slugger James Te Huna. The two serve as the co-feature of the event, which takes place Dec. 7 at Brisbane Entertainment Centre and airs in North America one day prior due to the time difference.

Rua said he’s excited for the chance to put on a show Down Under.

“They offered, and I was up for it, so I took it,” Rua said. “The timing ended up working out perfect for me. I’m fighting in his home country, and it’s going to be an exciting fight.”

Rua has long been one of Brazil’s most popular fighters, with a fan-friendly style heavy on devastating strikes. He was featured in the UFC’s August 2011 return to Brazil, the company’s first event in the country in nearly 13 years. Surprisingly, though, he hasn’t fought in the country since.

Rua said he’s fine with the challenge of traveling to Australia but would appreciate a few opportunities to fight closer to home.

“I’ll do whatever the UFC asks me to do, but fighting in Brazil is better,” Rua said. “I don’t have a time difference and the food is the same.”

In many ways, the fight with Te Huna is a must-win for Rua, who is unquestionably a legend in the sport but has struggled to establish a consistent track record since coming from PRIDE to the UFC in 2007. Despite his relatively young age, there have been some calls for him to start considering what will come after his fighting career.

Rua isn’t ready for that just yet.

“I don’t think about it yet,” Rua said. “When I stop fighting, I’ll start thinking about it, but so far, I have not put any thought into this.”

Instead, he’ll focus on Te Huna, a fellow strike-first fighter who will likely be more than happy to stand and trade in the pocket. That probably sounds like a dream scenario for Rua, but a win may come easier on the floor.

Rua won’t tip his hand just yet, but he’s expecting a barnburner.

“I’m going to train every aspect of it so that I’m prepared for whatever happens,” Rua said.

For the latest on UFC Fight Night 33, stay tuned to the UFC Rumors section of the site.

Lineup, broadcast plans set for next month's UFC 209 with two title fights

The 10-fight broadcast lineup for next month’s double-title UFC 209 event has been finalized.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Ronda Rousey lands guest-star role on NBC series 'Blindspot'

Ronda Rousey will be acting on television before she fights inside the octagon — that is, if she ever fights again.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>

The Best Fights the UFC Can Make Right Now

The UFC is at a crossroads. Ronda Rousey, one of its two biggest stars, has lost two fights in a row and might never return. Conor McGregor, the biggest draw in the sport's history, is in no hurry to read news >>

The List: Making the case for 5 possible Georges-St Pierre UFC comeback fights

• a day ago

Conor McGregor? Anderson Silva? Michael Bisping? Just who should Georges St-Pierre face in his UFC comeback fight? We make our cases.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC, Videos read news >>

Justin Harrington Plans to 'Unleash Hell' on Julian Erosa at CageSport 44 | MMAWeekly.com

• a day ago

Justin Harrington takes on one time training partner Justin Erosa on February 25 in Tacoma, Washington in a 155-pound championship main event at CageSport 44. read news >>

Live Free Fights: SFL Bengaluru Tigers vs. Goa Pirates, Friday at 8:30 am ET | MMAWeekly.com

• 19 hours ago

The Bengaluru Tigers and Goa Pirates hash it out for 3rd place at Super Fight League. Watch the full event LIVE on Friday at 8:30 a.m. ET. read news >>

Live Free Fights: SFL Sher-E-Punjab vs. Delhi Heroes, Saturday at 8:30 am ET | MMAWeekly.com

• 19 hours ago

The Sher-E-Punjab and Delhi Heroes hash it out for glory at Super Fight League. Watch the full event LIVE on Saturday at 8:30 a.m. ET. read news >>

UFC on FOX 23's Jason Knight plans Caceres KO, new contract and callout of 'The Korean Superboy'

LAKEWOOD, Colo. – Don’t accuse Jason Knight for being one of those UFC fighters who doesn’t think ahead each time he enters and exits the octagon.Filed under: Featured Videos, News, UFC, Videos read news >>

UFC on FOX 23's Julianna Pena: If I was Amanda Nunes, I wouldn't be talking about featherweight fights

DENVER – UFC women’s bantamweight contender Julianna Pena figures by MMA math, she should at least do well against champ Amanda Nunes. Filed under: Featured, News, UFC, Videos read news >>

Andrei Arlovski: I'm Not in a Position to Pick My Opponent (UFC Denver) | MMAWeekly.com

Having lost three fights in a row, Andrei Arlovski knows that he can't be choosy about his opponents or make big, boastful claims. read news >>