#UFC 217 #UFC Fight Night 120 #GSP #Michael Bisping #Conor McGregor #TJ Dillashaw #Cody Garbrandt #Dustin Poirier #Fight One #Anthony Pettis #Nate Diaz

Mauricio “Shogun” Rua underwent successful knee surgery this week following an injury that force him out of his previously scheduled fight against Ovince Saint-Preux in Japan.

The former UFC light heavyweight champion has endured more than a few knee problems over the years, but this latest resulted in the veteran fighter going under the knife.

According to a post on his Instagram page, ‘Shogun’ seems happy with the results of the surgery as he begins his rehabilitation before making his return to action.

“Guys, last night I had surgery on my left knee, and thank God everything worked out well,” Rua wrote. “I already started my physical therapy today, so I can get healthy sooner to comeback stronger! It was very hard for me to step out of a fight due to injury, and I want to thank my doctors, my physical therapist and his team for all the help, and to all of you all the messages of support!”

Galera, ontem à noite, após alguns dias me preparando com minha equipe de fisioterapia, passei por uma cirurgia no meu joelho esquerdo e graças a Deus correu tudo bem. Hoje mesmo já comecei minha recuperação, dando início à fisio pra voltar firme e forte, pronto pra próxima! Foi muito difícil pra mim ter que ficar fora de uma luta por lesão, e quero agradecer ao Dr. Gilson e ao Dr. Daniel, meus medicos, ao Eduardo meu fisioterapeuta, e toda sua equipe @grupo_sportfisio por toda a ajuda, e a vocês por todo o carinho e as mensagens de apoio. Obrigado galera! / Guys, last night I had surgery on my left knee, and thank God everything worked out well. I already started my physical therapy today, so I can get healthy soon to comeback stronger! It was very hard for me to have to step out of a fight due to injury, and I want to thank my doctors, my physical therapist and his team for all the help, and to you all for all the messages of support! Thank you!

A post shared by Shogun Rua (@shogunoficial) on

There’s no word yet on how long the knee injury will keep ‘Shogun’ sidelined.

Most recently, Rua has put together an impressive three fight win streak including a TKO victory against Gian Villante in his last trip to the Octagon in March.

Comments

Georges St-Pierre Raises Doubt About Defending UFC Belt | MMAWeekly.com

Georges St-Pierre made his successful return to the Octagon at UFC 217. But what comes next? Even St-Pierre doesn't know. read news >>

Colby Covington Dismantles Demian Maia (UFC Sao Paulo Results) | MMAWeekly.com

Colby Covington asked for a fight against No. 3 ranked welterweight Demaia Maia and got what he wanted. He then faced Maia in his hometown of Sao Paulo, Brazil. read news >>

Raquel Pennington Sidelined with Broken Leg, Cancelling Potential Fight Against Amanda Nunes | MMAWeekly.com

Raquel Pennington would probably rather forget 2017 entirely. Following a four fight win streak including a victory against former women's bantamweight champion Miesha Tate at UFC 205 in 2016, Pennin read news >>

Dominick Cruz Suffers Injury, Out of Fight with Jimmie Rivera at UFC 219 | MMAWeekly.com

Former champion Dominick Cruz will have to wait until 2018 to return to action read news >>

'Wonderboy' Pumps the Brakes on Rumored Fight Against Darren Till | MMAWeekly.com

UFC president Dana White announced a new welterweight matchup late Tuesday night in Los Angeles but there's only one problem — he forgot to tell the fighters. The proposed fight would pit former titl read news >>

Jorge Masvidal: 'I'll Murder Stephen Thompson' | MMAWeekly.com

Welterweight Jorge Masvidal discusses his upcoming fight against Stephen Thompson at UFC 217 and how well he matches up against champion Tyron Woodley. read news >>

Stephen Thompson: Georges St-Pierre Was My Inspiration | MMAWeekly.com

No. 2 ranked welterweight Stephen Thompson talks about his upcoming fight against Jorge Masvidal at UFC 217 and how Georges St-Pierre was an inspiration to him. read news >>

UFC Fight Night Sydney: Media Day Face Offs | MMAWeekly.com

• a day ago

Check out the media day face-offs featuring the stars of Fight Night Sydney: Werdum vs Tybura before the fights this Saturday on FS1. read news >>

UFC Fight Night: Werdum vs. Tybura Weigh-In Replay | MMAWeekly.com

• 13 hours ago

The main event between former champ Fabricio Werdum and Marcin Tybura is officially set, but four fighters missed weight during the UFC Sydney weigh-in. read news >>

Haim Gozali Puts Arsen Faitovich To Sleep In 43 Seconds (Bellator 188 Full Fight) | MMAWeekly.com

• 5 hours ago

Haim Gozali made quick work of Arsen Faitovich in the co-main event of Bellator 188 as he represented Israel in Tel Aviv. Watch the full fight video. read news >>