There are four fighters who could potentially get a light heavyweight title shot after UFC on Fox 4 is over, but everyone seems to be aiming directly at one person as the most likely candidate.

The criteria set forth by UFC president Dana White is whoever is most impressive during the Saturday night fight card will get the next crack at the 205-pound champion.

Most assume it’s Mauricio “Shogun” Rua who has the easiest path to the title shot, and so the questions are already coming at him rapid fire as if he’s already earned it.

But when you hear the tone in his voice and the direction in which he answers, he’s clearly not happy that everyone seems to be looking past his opponent, Brandon Vera.

Sure, Vera is 1-2-1 in his last four fights and hasn’t been a top ten light heavyweight at any point in his career. It’s true Vera wasn’t the first choice for the main event for the UFC on Fox show, and there were more than a few protesters to the idea that he even got the fight, much less those people entertaining the idea that he could win.

Rua on the other side is a legend of MMA. A former UFC champion, a former Pride Grand Prix champion, and consistently one of the most dangerous fighters in the division, Rua has been placed as a heavy favorite going into his bout with Vera. The Brazilian veteran warns those that would look past Vera, however, that as soon as you start believing your own hype, your whole world comes crashing down around you.

“This guy deserves the chance in the UFC because he has a great background in the UFC, and we must respect this. He fought in two different divisions, fought some tough guys, so I think the guy deserves respect. We can’t think that way that the guy doesn’t deserve the chance,” Rua told MMAWeekly.com on Wednesday.

“It can be a little dangerous to think I’m the favorite or this guy is the underdog, it’s like a trap. We must be focused in my game and my strategy and that’s the concern I have.”

It’s with a scowl that Shogun then answers the questions about the title shot. It’s hard to ignore because it is such a grand prize hanging over the heads of the fighters at this event, but Rua doesn’t want to even talk about that because if he loses to Brandon Vera none of that even matters.

He says it’s not really a distraction however because the only thing on his mind is the fight.

“It doesn’t matter. It’s not a distraction for me because I’m still focused like I was a month or two months ago. For me it’s important to win the fight, after that then I can think about the future. Right now, I’m just focused on Brandon Vera on Saturday,” said Rua.

When the fight is over and his hand is raised, then Rua will gladly talk about Jon Jones, Dan Henderson, and the light heavyweight title fight, but to get there he first has to get past Brandon Vera.

“I’m not thinking about the belt. My main goal this weekend is to beat Vera, then in the future I’ll start thinking about the belt. I’m still aggressive, I don’t change my plan, and I fight looking for the knockout. I want to give my fans a show,” said Shogun.

“With a huge victory it will be my ticket to the belt again.”

Follow @DamonMartin on Twitter or e-mail Damon Martin.
For more
UFC News and UFC Rumors, follow MMAWeekly.com on Twitter and Facebook.

UFC on Fox 23 Results: 5 Burning Questions Heading into Fight Night 104

UFC on Fox 23 is in the books. The results are as follows: Main Card Valentina Shevchenko def. Julianna Pena via second-round submission Jorge Masvidal def. Donald Cerrone via second-round TKO Franci read news >>

Ronda Rousey's Future with UFC Commented on by Dana White on 'UFC Unfiltered'

Following consecutive decisive losses, UFC President Dana White believes Ronda Rousey may never again step foot inside the Octagon. On the latest episode of UFC.com's UFC Unfiltered (h/t Dann Stupp o read news >>

UFC Fight Night 104's Jessica Andrade believes title shot looms with win over Angela Hill

Jessica Andrade believes she’s close to a strawweight title shot, and that a win on Saturday might put her over the top. Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Yair Rodriguez believes Penn win has him creeping closer to UFC featherweight title shot

HOUSTON – After his brutal beatdown of UFC Hall of Famer B.J. Penn a few weeks ago, Yair Rodriguez can admit just taking the fight put him in a no-win situation. Filed under: Featured Videos, News, U read news >>

Demian Maia Issues Statement on Waiting for UFC Title Shot | MMAWeekly.com

Demian Maia believes he is next in line for a UFC welterweight title shot and is willing to wait for it. read news >>

UFC Fight Night 104 Results: 5 Burning Questions Heading into UFC 208

UFC Fight Night 104 is in the books. The results are as follows: Main Card Chan Sung Jung def. Dennis Bermudez, knockout (Round 1, 2:49) Felice Herrig def. Alexa Grasso, unanimous decision (29-28, 29 read news >>

20 Questions with Dana White: The Diaz Brothers? Donald Trump? Ryan Bader? | MMAWeekly.com

Dana White answered several questions, including when the Diaz Brothers will fight, his thoughts on Ryan Bader, Donald Trump's phone call, and more. read news >>

The Curious Case of Holly Holm | FIGHTLAND

Artwork by Gian Galang The fight game is all about questions. After all, when there seem to be no challengers left to fight, no questions left to answer, people get bored. But it seems as though UFC read news >>

Jacare Souza Believes Luke Rockhold is Avoiding Him, Remains Focused on the Belt (UFC 208 Video) | MMAWeekly.com

Jacare Souza believes Luke Rockhold is avoiding him and knows he has a tough fight with Tim Boetsch ahead, but he remains focused on a UFC title shot. read news >>

UFC 208 Results: 5 Burning Questions Heading into UFC Fight Night 105

UFC 208 is in the books. The results are as follows: Germaine de Randamie def. Holly Holm by unanimous decision (48-47, 48-47, 48-47) Anderson Silva def. Derek Brunson by unanimous decision (29-28, 2 read news >>