By the 3rd round of his UFC 131 main event fight against Junior Dos Santos, former interim champion Shane Carwin had little to no vision in his eye, but he surely wasn’t lacking heart.

The powerful Colorado fighter suffered a broken nose and had blood in his eyes, but still felt in his bones that if he landed one good shot, he could put Dos Santos away and still win the fight.

“After the second round I knew I was in trouble. My nose made it impossible to breathe, my eyes were full of blood and Junior was still coming at me. When the ref stopped the fight in the third, I thought it was over. When the doctor came in the octagon I knew it was going to be up to me to sell them on letting me continue. I knew I was in deep trouble but I also knew that all I needed was one clean shot. I wanted to keep myself in the fight. I wasn’t able to see but I said I could and we continued,” Carwin wrote on his personal blog on Monday.

“When the final bell rang there was no question in my mind who won the fight. I was pretty out of it and needed some medical care. The adrenaline was leaving my body and the pain was coming on pretty fast.”

According to Carwin’s manager Jason Genet of Ingrained Media speaking to MMAWeekly.com on Monday, the former champion likely suffered a broken nose and possible a fractured cheek bone or orbital as well, but won’t know for sure for a few days because the swelling on his face is too much to allow an accurate CT scan to take place.

Regardless of the injuries, Carwin showed tremendous heart and determination to stick in the fight with Dos Santos for all three rounds, fighting with little vision or even the clear ability to breathe.

Carwin has flown home to Colorado where he’ll rest and recover and wait for the final word from his doctors as to the severity of his injuries.

Down but never out, Carwin promised to get back in the cage and compete again as he looks to work his way back to the top of the heavyweight division.

“My heart can’t be questioned, I think I showed that I have the cardio to fight at this level and I just need to work on my technique. Yes I can knock just about anybody out but I have to continue my quest to become the best fighter in my division,” Carwin said.

“Being in wars like I was in last night are important test for your career and I am confident I belong in the cage with the best fighters in the world. I need to keep working hard on my technique and testing myself. There are no easy fights at this level, no gimmes. I have to get my nose fixed and once the swelling goes down I need to have my cheek looked at as it may be broken. I can’t wait to heal and get back into the gym and begin working on my game.”

Once Carwin’s medical status is updated it will be made more clear how long he’ll be out of action and then able to return to training and prepare for a return to the UFC.

Damon Martin is the lead staff writer and radio host for MMAWeekly.com.
@DamonMartin on Twitter or e-mail Damon a question or comment.

Follow MMAWeekly.com on Twitter and Facebook.

Pena vs. Shevchenko Results: Winner and Reaction from UFC on Fox 23

With Ronda Rousey's career possibly over, the UFC women's bantamweight division is officially trying to move on. The first step in doing so? Determining the next challenger for reigning champion Aman read news >>

Bermudez vs. Korean Zombie Results: Winner and Reaction from UFC Fight Night 104

The Korean Zombie is back, ladies and gentlemen! After an incredibly long layoff, featherweight Chan Sung Jung overcame the odds and scored a gorgeous first-round knockout win at the expense of No. 9 read news >>

Grasso vs. Herrig Results: Winner and Reaction from UFC Fight Night 104

Felice Herrig warned before UFC Fight Night 104 that she would be more than just a measuring stick for up-and-coming strawweight star Alexa Grasso, per Fox Sports' Damon Martin. Saturday night during read news >>

Ian McCall Withdraws from UFC 208 Due to Illness: Latest Comments and Reaction

Flyweight Ian McCall will not fight as part of Saturday's UFC 208 card at the Barclays Center in Brooklyn, New York, due to an illness. ESPN's Brett Okamoto reported the news and added that McCall we read news >>

Holm vs. de Randamie Results: Winner and Reaction from UFC 208

UFC 208 welcomed a new name to the club of UFC champions, as Germaine de Randamie became the first champion of the women's featherweight division in the main event at the Barclays Center in Brooklyn, read news >>

UFC's Yair Rodriguez discusses knee injury, possible next opponents, U.S. recognition

Yair Rodriguez has no desire to name a specific opponent he’d like to fight next. Not because he doesn’t want to stir the pot, but because he said he’s reached a stage in his career where the competi read news >>

Lewis vs. Browne Results: Winner and Reaction from UFC Fight Night 105

UFC Fight Night 105 provided the quintessential Derrick Lewis performance. Lewis took his time, soaked up some damage and then finished with absolute viciousness. A shot at gold may not be too far of read news >>

Anderson Silva vs. Derek Brunson Results: Winner and Reaction from UFC 208

UFC 208 officially turned back the clocks with a win for Anderson "The Spider" Silva over Derek Brunson via unanimous decision in Saturday night's co-main event. MMAjunkie tweeted the official scorec read news >>

UFC 208 reaction: Did the judges get de Randamie-Holm right?

UFC.com’s Matt Parrino and NESN.com’s Andre Khatchaturian break down what happened in the five-round main event at UFC 208. The two discuss Germaine de Randamie’s performance, what’s next for Holly H read news >>

UFC 208 reaction: What to make of Anderson Silva's win

UFC.com’s Matt Parrino and NESN.com’s Andre Khatchaturian break down what happened in the Anderson Silva vs. Derek Brunson fight at UFC 208. Also, the two talk about Jacare Souza’s big win and what a read news >>