#UFC Fight Night 83 #Conor McGregor #Luke Rockhold #Nate Diaz #David Branch #Saturday Night Fights #UFC 215 #Michael Bisping #Jon Jones #GGG

Scott Holtzman XFCJust over a year into his MMA career, Scott “Hot Sauce” Holtzman has made enough of an impact in the XFC to merit co-headlining the XFC 20 fight card on Friday night in Knoxville, Tenn. live on AXS TV. It’s a position that Holtzman couldn’t have imagined he’d be in when he first started getting into MMA.

“It’s definitely much more than ever expected,” he said. “When I first started doing it, it started as an outlet as opposed to just working out in a gym, and then my competitive side took over. I never imagined it would lead to this.”

Holtzman told MMAWeekly.com that the one thing that’s most stuck out to him so far is how much the mental game plays into MMA.

“I always knew it was a tough, physical sport, but the mental toughness is one of the biggest lessons you learn,” he said. “You have to be able to deal with this daily grind of training and believe in the process.

“One day you go in the gym and you’re the hammer, and the next day you’re the nail. So you have to stay positive mentally, especially when you’re in the gym being beat up and not get too frustrated if guys are running over.”

Having not gone past the two-minute mark of the second round in either of his two pro fights, Holtzman knows to run his winning streak to three won’t come easy against former Bellator veteran Chris Coggins.

“I’d say that a lot of guys like to take a little while and build and maybe fight some guys who don’t belong in the cage or whatnot, but I haven’t said no to a fight yet,” said Holtzman. “They offered Chris Coggins and I just went with it.

“Some guys might try to take some easier fights earlier on, but I want to test myself in this fight and I’m getting in there and let it rip. If I come out with my hand raised it will be a good feather in my cap.”

Holtzman feels that to win the fight, the ground could very well be where he can make things happen.

“He’s very aggressive, comes forward and is going to put pressure on me standing, and does have some dangerous ground moves, but I think he likes to lie on his back and if he does that, I’ll try to take advantage of it,” he said.

Having quickly risen up the ranks of the XFC, Holtzman admits that ascending to the top of his weight class could come sooner than later if he continues on the run he’s had so far.

“The way things are going, it’s moving really fast, and for me. I’m ready to jump on the bandwagon and go with it,” he said. “There are plenty of opportunities in the XFC, and this is just the beginning. I’m just along for the ride right now, take it one fight at a time and see where it takes me.”

Stay tuned to MMAWeekly.com for all your MMA news and updates.

(Photo courtesy of XFC)

Comments

Conor McGregor Nutritionist Says He'll Have No Trouble Making Weight

Conor McGregor's nutritionist said Thursday that the UFC Lightweight champion will have no problem making weight Friday for his 154-pound boxing clash with Floyd Mayweather Jr. on Saturday. According read news >>

The Secret That Led Conor McGregor to Fame, Fortune and Floyd Mayweather

On the cusp of making his professional boxing debut against one of the greatest boxers of all time, Conor McGregor is preparing to make history again. From the moment he first entered the Octagon, Mc read news >>

Conor McGregor Trash Talks Floyd Mayweather During Intense Face Off Following Weigh-Ins | MMAWeekly.com

Floyd Mayweather had concerns about Conor McGregor making weight but he shouldn't be worried any longer. After both men enjoyed a long walk to the stage with a very pro-Irish crowd packed inside the read news >>

VanZant Puts Weight-Cutting Struggle Behind Her In Move to 125

Paige VanZant is making her debut at flyweight at UFC 216 after dealing with weigh cutting issues for her last few fights. Rejuvenated, PVZ looks to make a statement when she takes on former bantamwe read news >>

UFC Fight Night 115's Alexander Volkov credits Russian media for making Stefan Struve fight

To hear Alexander Volkov tell it, the Russian media is why he’s facing Stefan Struve at UFC Fight Night 115 – not that he was opposed.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Just 1 year into pro career, UFC's Cynthia Calvillo looks for perfect 5-0 calendar year

A year into her pro MMA career, Cynthia Calvillo is already making a splash in the UFC. She hopes to conclude 2017 with a perfect 5-0 mark.Filed under: News, Radio Highlight, UFC, Videos read news >>

Paige VanZant: 'I Was Killing Myself for This Sport' Making Weight | MMAWeekly.com

Paige VanZant returns to the Octagon on October 7 on the UFC 216 main card against Jessica Eye in a women's flyweight bout. read news >>

Gilbert Melendez Shows Off Battered and Bruised Leg One Day After UFC 215 (PHOTO) | MMAWeekly.com

Gilbert Melendez showed incredible toughness making it all three rounds with Jeremy Stephens at UFC 215 on Saturday night despite largely competing on one leg. Stephens absolutely battered Melendez's read news >>

Gillespie making calculated rise in lightweight division

“If you’ve only got one win, you probably shouldn’t be fighting a Top 15 guy yet. Not because you’re not capable, but maybe get four fights under your belt first. Win four in a row and that way if Go read news >>

Conor McGregor Could Address US Congress over MMA Fighters' Rights

• 21 hours ago

After making his boxing debut, UFC lightweight champion Conor McGregor may appear before the United States Congress in an effort to expand the protection of rights afforded to mixed martial arts figh read news >>