#Bellator 185 #Gegard Mousasi #Alexander Shlemenko #Bellator MMA #Kristina Williams #Heather Hardy #Conor McGregor #Neiman Gracie #UFC 216 #Zak Bucia #Tony Ferguson #Fight Night Rotterdam #GSP

Sara McMann passed the stiffest test of her career Saturday with a unanimous decision over Shayna Baszler at Invicta FC 2.

Coming off the win, the Olympic silver medalist in wrestling joined the Sherdog Radio Network’s “Cheap Seats” show to discuss the judges’ scorecards, Ronda Rousey and more.

On debate following the decision: “I think that really what the problem is, is anytime you have a close fight, there’s no point system. I’ve won plenty of [wrestling] matches by one or two points. And it was a close match, but I still won it. With MMA, since there’s no point system, they don’t put up who won each round [immediately after the round] so each fighter’s aware of it. It leaves a lot of ambiguity and it leaves a lot of opinion in the fights. Basically for the way the decision went, I think that both people fighting their hearts out, they’re always going to feel like they won. Because in a way when you put everything on the line and you give the best that you have, you have won in a sense.”

On one judging giving her all three rounds: “I was even a little confused about the 30-27 because I would have said that I won two of the rounds, the first and third round, and I could understandably say that I didn’t win the [second] round because she was attacking submissions. The only justification that I saw might have influenced it is that I got the takedown to put her on the ground for the submission attacks, and then I got out, and then I finished on her back. That might be where maybe that judge felt two takedowns were … I don’t know really. I think she did very strong submission attempts and I had to work really hard to get out of them. Me personally, I didn’t think that I won that round.”

On not rushing her MMA career: “I have my peace of mind in my wrestling career. I’m doing this because I enjoy doing it. It’s not about skyrocketing to the top and it’s not about making a bunch of money or people knowing my name. This is about the journey for me. I really want to have a good, solid career, and at the end I want to look and say I’m a skilled mixed martial artist. … I could go in probably and take people down and hold them down and win decisions, but it just isn’t what I’m interested in being.”

On learning from her bout against Baszler: “I’ve learned so much from this last fight. The length of time I kept it on the feet -- I mean, I have so much to go back and work on and so many things to tweak. That’s the exciting part for me.”

On future opponents: “Basically whoever’s at the top is the person I have my bull’s-eye on. Whoever’s the number one girl at 135 and anyone ranked above me, that’s who I want to fight. I like the fact that I’m working my way up the ladder and fighting a huge variety of different opponents, some strikers and some grapplers. I want to be a good, well-rounded mixed martial artist. It takes time and it takes experience. It takes revealing mistakes and going back to the room and correcting them. I’m really happy with this route. If I wanted to, I could make a big deal and sign with Strikeforce and be doing it really soon, but I don’t feel like I need any rush. I just want to get better.”

Listen to the full interview (beginning at 59:25).

Comments

What debut? Aaron Pico just hit the reset button on an again-promising career

Want to make people forget about your embarrassing debut? Send your next opponent crashing to the canvas.Filed under: Blue Corner, Featured Videos, News read news >>

What Is Benson Henderson's Legacy After Bellator 183?

The Bellator career of Benson Henderson has been turbulent. He's enjoyed two title fights in two separate weight classes since jumping ship from the UFC in early 2016, but he lost them both. After hi read news >>

Max Holloway's Blessed UFC Career

"It’s cool having this belt and being a champion, but I want to make sure my son is set. I want him to go to college. I don’t want him to fight. Fighting is insane." read news >>

On Matt Brown vs. Diego Sanchez, and 2 opposite approaches to the close of a career

Matt Brown performed an honest career calculation that led him to his decision to retire after his next fight. His opponent, Diego Sanchez, seems to have chosen the opposite path. For many aging figh read news >>

What hits like a heavyweight, but moves like a welterweight? A driven Derrick Lewis, apparently

After an entire career hearing that he’ll be in trouble should his fights go to the ground, UFC 216’s Derrick Lewis is not worried about Fabricio Werdum’s grappling: “I believe it’s just going to rea read news >>

Bellator President Scott Coker Recounts Hugh Hefner's Association with MMA | MMAWeekly.com

Bellator president Scott Coker recounts Playboy founder Hugh Hefner's association with MMA. The pop culture icon passed away on Wednesday. read news >>

Conor McGregor Teases His UFC Return, Names Several Possible Opponents | MMAWeekly.com

Conor McGregor is nearly ready to resume his UFC career but he's still undecided on who he will face when he steps back inside the Octagon. The reigning UFC lightweight champion took part in a Q&A in read news >>

UFC 216 preview: A closer look at Demetrious Johnson's career statistics

UFC champ Demetrious Johnson returns next Saturday in search of history in UFC 216’s co-headlining act. Check out his amazing career stats.Filed under: News, UFC, Videos read news >>

Bellator 184 results: Emmanuel Sanchez taps former champ Daniel Straus in third

Emmanuel Sanchez picked up the biggest win of his Bellator career with a third-round submission of former champion Daniel Straus.Filed under: News read news >>

UFC 216 preview: A closer look at Demetrious Johnson's career statistics

UFC champ Demetrious Johnson returns tonight in search of history in UFC 216’s co-headlining act. Check out his amazing career stats.Filed under: News, UFC, Videos read news >>