Sara McMann does not understand the hate surrounding her opponent. | Photo: Dave Mandel/Sherdog.com

Ultimate Fighting Championship women’s bantamweight titleholder Ronda Rousey has not won over many fans since she coached opposite Miesha Tate on “The Ultimate Fighter 18” and then refused to shake the hand of her defeated archrival at UFC 168.

Sara McMann, Rousey’s challenger in the UFC 170 main event on Saturday in Las Vegas, has been taken aback by some of the champion’s critics.

“I think people are getting way, way, way too worked up about her personality,” she told Sherdog.com. “Some people are treating it like they hate her. I’m like, ‘Really? There are people in this world who you should hate and there are pedophiles or people who beat up old people and take their money. There are some rotten, despicable people who are orchestrating genocides in other countries, and yes, if you’re going to hate anyone, then by all means, hate them; but really to hate a girl just because what she says aggravates you?’ I just don’t think it’s worthy of hate. It’s someone that you wouldn’t invite to your Christmas party, but worthy of hate? I don’t see it. I mean, I just think that it’s so blown out of proportion.”

McMann, who will enter the Octagon as a heavy underdog despite a perfect 7-0 professional record, does not feel any additional pressure to defeat Rousey because of those who dislike her.

“Truthfully, I wouldn’t count those people on my side as much as I would count them against Ronda,” she said. “If you’re a fan of me, it’s because you have seen my fights and you like the way that I fight. If you just want her to get beat, I don’t feel like you’re a fan of mine. I feel like you’re someone who has a preference that somebody loses.”

Although media attention swirls around Rousey, McMann wants to maintain focus on herself.

“I’m very much a worry-about-yourself kind of girl,” she said. “That also comes from my wrestling background. You can’t control anyone else’s conditioning, their strength, their speed or whatever. You’re wasting your time sitting around thinking about all these things that they’re doing or not doing, even the things they’re doing to their detriment.

“In wrestling, we’d say, ‘Oh, this girl goes out and parties, and this girl’s not doing this right, she’s not eating right,’ but then that girl would beat you, so really those things that you’re thinking about didn’t even matter,” McMann added. “Focus on what you can control, which is yourself and your own growth and how you compete. That’s all you can control.”

Sara McMann: 'I Stand with Standing Rock!' | MMAWeekly.com

UFC bantamweight Sara McMann joined fellow Olympic Medalist Ronda Rousey in showing support for the protesters at the Standing Rock Reservation in North Dakota. read news >>

Sara McMann sad she may never get chance to rematch former UFC champs Ronda Rousey, Miesha Tate

HALIFAX – Like most fighters, Sara McMann wants the opportunity to avenge her losses. But when it comes to rematches with Ronda Rousey and Miesha Tate, the chance may be gone forever.Filed under: Fea read news >>

Dana White on ex-UFC champ Ronda Rousey's future: I 'think she's probably done'

We may have seen the last of former UFC women’s bantamweight champion Ronda Rousey in the cage.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>

Ronda Rousey's Future with UFC Commented on by Dana White on 'UFC Unfiltered'

Following consecutive decisive losses, UFC President Dana White believes Ronda Rousey may never again step foot inside the Octagon. On the latest episode of UFC.com's UFC Unfiltered (h/t Dann Stupp o read news >>

Former champ, UFC 208 headliner Holly Holm to appear on today's 'Live with Kelly'

Former UFC women’s bantamweight titleholder Holly Holm is no stranger to “Live with Kelly.”Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

UFC Fight Night 105's Sara McMann has no interest in featherweight: 'I want the title at 135'

HALIFAX – Don’t count on Sara McMann to add some depth to the newly introduced UFC women’s featherweight class.Filed under: Featured Videos, News, UFC, Videos read news >>

UFC Fight Night 105 results: Sara McMann swiftly finishes Gina Mazany with arm-triangle choke

HALIFAX – One-time women’s bantamweight title challenger Sara McMann made quick work of newcomer Gina Mazany, securing an arm-triangle early in the first.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>

Sara McMann Calls for Title Shot After UFC Halifax Win (Video) | MMAWeekly.com

Watch Sara McMann talk backstage after her impressive submission victory over Gina Mazany at Fight Night Halifax. read news >>

Sara McMann would fight again before UFC title shot but thinks she's already earned it

HALIFAX – After making quick work of Gina Mazany at Sunday's UFC Fight Night 105, onetime title challenger Sara McMann explained why she believes she's earned a second stab at the women's 135-pound b read news >>

Pena vs. Shevchenko Results: Winner and Reaction from UFC on Fox 23

With Ronda Rousey's career possibly over, the UFC women's bantamweight division is officially trying to move on. The first step in doing so? Determining the next challenger for reigning champion Aman read news >>