A rivalry that began more than six years ago came to a close Friday night, as Sam Stout took a unanimous decision over Spencer Fisher in their rubber match at UFC on FX 4.

Though primarily viewed as a striker, it was Stout’s wrestling that made the difference in his third meeting with “The King.” Despite generally getting the better of the standup, Fisher could not prevent the Canadian from taking him to the canvas multiple times throughout their lightweight co-headliner.

“It’s something I’ve been working on for a long time, my all-around mixed martial arts game,” Stout (Pictured, file photo) told Fox Sports after the bout. “I know everyone looks at me as just a kickboxer, but it’s something I’ve been perfecting over the years, and I knew it would catch Spencer off guard. It was a good way to steal rounds. I really wanted to make sure I got this win. This was very important for me.”

Despite earning his third victory in four fights, Stout did not walk away unscathed from Revel Atlantic City in Atlantic City, N.J. Fisher’s accurate boxing attack took its toll, as the southpaw continually found a home for his straight left and right hook, closing Stout’s right eye in the process.

“I feel great,” Stout said after the bout. “My right shin is a little sore, and obviously my face is a little swollen, but it wouldn’t be a fight with me and Spencer Fisher without some bumps and bruises. I’m still a lot better off than I was [after our last fight]. The injuries will heal up, but the glory lasts forever, right?”

Stout and Fisher are best known by most fans for their bouts against one another. Stout took a split decision in the pair’s initial meeting, a 2006 bout regarded by many as a classic slugfest. Fisher evened the score the following year at UFC Fight Night 10 in another exciting contest. After winning “Fight of the Night” honors for another 15-minute effort against his rival on Friday night, Stout says that competing against Fisher for the third time cause him to experience some in-cage déjà vu.

“It was a very familiar feeling. There were times before that last round when I was like, ‘Well, here we go, round nine,’” said Stout. “It was a big win for me, especially against Spencer, who was my first opponent in the UFC. To finish that trilogy in [what might have been] his last fight, it’s kind of poetic. At the same time, I got my first win without Shawn Tompkins in my corner, so that’s a big weight off my shoulders.”

Tompkins, Stout’s late coach and brother-in-law, passed away last August at the age of 37. Stout’s victory tonight marks the first win for “Hands of Stone” since the passing of his longtime friend.

“Everyone has been telling me that Shawn is always going to be in my corner, but without him there physically, it’s very difficult for me to get in the gym every day. It’s been a big transition for me to come up with my own game plans,” said Stout. “Mark Dellagrotte was a big help in breaking down what I needed to do in this fight. I had a great team behind me on this one, and they did a great job of helping to fill Shawn’s shoes.”

Stop us if you've heard this one: UFC 208's Ian McCall loses an opponent – again

Ian McCall’s UFC comeback seems to get more and more depressing with each attempt.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

UFC on FOX 23 reactions: Winning and losing fighters on social media

Following Saturday’s UFC on FOX 23 event in Denver, several of the winning and losing fighters took to social media to react to the event or share a message with supporters.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

UFC 208: Holly Holm vs. Germaine de Randamie Extended Video Preview | MMAWeekly.com

UFC 208 sees the inaugural women's featherweight title fight between former bantamweight champ Holly Holm and dangerous striker Germaine de Randamie. read news >>

Jimi Manuwa vs. Corey Anderson headlines UFC Fight Night 107 in London

With less than two months until the event, UFC Fight Night 107 finally has a headliner. Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>

Dana White Recaps UFC on FOX 23: Not a Fan of Cerrone Going Back-to-Back | MMAWeekly.com

UFC president Dana White recapped an exciting UFC on FOX 23, where several title contenders emerged. read news >>

The MMA Road Show with John Morgan No. 96.5 – UFC on FOX 23 wrap-up featuring Dana White, Valentina Shevchenko, Jorge Ma

Episode No. 96.5 of “The MMA Road Show with John Morgan” podcast, which includes a UFC on FOX 23 wrap-up featuring Dana White, Valentina Shevchenko, Jorge Masvidal and Francis Ngannou, is now availab read news >>

Joanna Jedrzejczyk Weighs In on Ronda Rousey's UFC Struggles (video) | MMAWeekly.com

UFC strawweight champion Joanna Jedrzejczyk weighs in on the struggles of former bantamweight champion Ronda Rousey. read news >>

No ceremonial weigh-ins, but fans invited to Thursday's UFC Fight Night 104 open workouts

Fight fans can get an up-close look at this week’s UFC Fight Night 104 competitors on Thursday at open workouts.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

MMAjunkie reader predictions: Make your picks for UFC Fight Night 104 in Houston

We want your predictions for Saturday’s UFC Fight Night 104 event in Houston.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

After UFC-debut win, 'TUF 24' semifinalist Alexandre Pantoja ready for top-10 opponent like Benavidez

DENVER – After getting the split-call nod over “TUF 24” castmate Eric Shelton at UFC on FOX 23, Alexandre Pantoja said his experience has earned him a “good and experienced” opponent like, say, forme read news >>