Nelson had stated in early March that after making a bet with a friend that if he reached 100,000 likes on the Mark Zuckerberg driven social site, that he would make the attempt to cut down to 205 pounds.
The bet was that he would try to cut down to 205 pounds if the numbers reached 100,000-plus in less than two weeks.
Well, it took well less than two weeks for Nelson to reach the plateau, but then just days later it was announced that he would be fighting at UFC 146 in May against Antonio “Bigfoot” Silva in a heavyweight bout.
Despite the matchmaking, is Nelson still ready to follow through with his bet after this fight is over?
“Actually, the ‘likes’, I got like 80,000 in a day, so I like to think I’m well liked, but a lot of people as soon as they found out I was fighting at heavyweight, they didn’t want me to drop down, they wanted me to stay at heavyweight,” Nelson said on Tuesday at the UFC 146 pre-fight press conference.
“I think they just like to see me fight.”
While he didn’t rule out a potential move down to 205lbs in the future, it appears for now the ’round mound of knockout’ will keep banging heads at heavyweight, starting at UFC 146.
“I’ll do like the Chuck Liddell/Randy Couture, I’ll fight at 205 for retirement,” Nelson said.
Nelson faces Silva as part of the main card of an all heavyweight five fight show at UFC 146, headlined by champion Junior Dos Santos making the first defense of his title against top contender Alistair Overeem.
Check out Roy Nelson’s comments at Tuesday’s UFC 146 press conference in Las Vegas…
Neil Seery will enter the cage for the final time as part of July’s UFC Fight Night 113 event.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>
Vitor Belfort has unveiled his UFC retirement plan, putting the wraps on a career that has spanned more than two decades. read news >>
UFC women’s featherweight champ Germaine de Randamie isn’t retiring, according to her manager, but she is dealing with some issues behind the scenes.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>
Ryan Bader said he was far less caught off guard than most by the surprise retirement of Anthony Johnson following his UFC 210 title-fight loss to Daniel Cormier last month.Filed under: Bellator, New read news >>
With Anderson Silva recently threatening retirement, UFC president Dana White said that the former champ probably should just go ahead and do it. read news >>
Attempts to have MMA fighters collectively form together into a union or association have gone almost entirely unsuccessful in recent years. Several different groups have put a foot forward with hope read news >>
If he doesn't get to challenge UFC middleweight champion Michael Bisping, it appears that Georges St-Pierre will return in a battle for a different belt. read news >>
Pedro Munhoz’s first four fights in the UFC after a perfect 10-0 start to his career brought him back to reality a bit. Filed under: News, UFC read news >>
LAS VEGAS – The UFC’s newest division took a big step forward on Tuesday, with 46 athletes gathering at Palace Station Hotel & Casino in Las Vegas in hopes of landing a role on “The Ultimate Fighter read news >>
UFC president Dana White on Tuesday addressed the Cris Cyborg battery incident, making the company's first comment on the situation since it occurred. read news >>