#Conor McGregor #UFC 216 #GSP #Tony Ferguson #Fight Night Rotterdam #Darren Till #Nate Diaz #Kevin Lee #Michael Bisping #Dominick Cruz #Donald Cerrone #Nick Diaz #Robbie Lawler

Roy Nelson has won three straight in the UFC heavyweight division, and now he’s looking for a shot at the title.

In an interview Monday with the Sherdog Radio Network’s “Beatdown” show, Nelson discussed his recent win over Cheick Kongo, the heavyweight class and much more.

On knocking out Kongo in the first round: “I was actually looking to probably push the fight more in the second. When I pushed him against the fence, I just knew there was a panic. I could just feel that he was starting to breathe heavy, and then when we actually broke, he was actually breathing heavy. I was like, whoa, whoa. Then I was like, OK, now we’re going to put the pressure on him. I just threw two punches and then that wins the fight. I thought it was going to be a little bit more than that.”

On the UFC 160 title fight between champion Cain Velasquez and challenger Antonio Silva: “The way I look at it is just give me one shot at either one of them. Definitely it only takes one shot to be the next heavyweight champion. Junior dos Santos did it.”

On whether the heavyweight division has a shallow talent pool: “No, I don’t think we’re shallow. The difference is, we’re so competitive at the heavyweight division that any given night, one of us can lose. If it was really that talented in the other divisions, they should be turning over left and right because that means it’s very competitive. But in those divisions, I’d say it’s not competitive if you can hold the belt that long.”

On whether he’d fight Daniel Cormier, a matchup Nelson’s manager, Mike Kogan, said didn’t make sense: “I understand where Mike was coming from because if D.C. wants to fight for the title in the heavyweight division, but Cain Velasquez has it, he doesn’t want to actually fight for the belt. Why even bother doing that? I just want to fight Cain then. If Cain has the belt, it’s like, I don’t even need to fight [Cormier]. I just need to beat your boy and then call it a day. … But if he’s going to hang around in the heavyweight division and actually really fight for the belt, then it makes sense to fight him.”

On getting a title shot: “I just want to fight the guy that has the belt. If I lose, then I lose, but just give me that one chance and I bet you I can knock their block off.”

On whether he worries that his sometimes contentious relationship with UFC President Dana White could cost him a title shot: “No, because it’s not really him that actually does it. It’s the other guys that actually own it.”

On how fans can help him get a shot: “My pull’s actually the fans. As long as the fans want to see it and fans want to see certain fights, they’ll make it happen.”

Listen to the full interview (beginning at 2:24:54).

Galleries

Roy Nelson Fights

• a year ago

Comments

Bellator 183 pre-event facts: Roy Nelson moves to Bellator with several UFC records in hand

For more on the numbers behind the fights, check below for 30 pre-event facts about Bellator 183.Filed under: Bellator, Featured, News, UFC read news >>

Roy Nelson: Bellator 'Actually Loves MMA…Reminds Me of the UFC 10 Years Ago' | MMAWeekly.com

It's been eight years since Roy Nelson last competed in a promotion other than the UFC but on Saturday night he will officially make his debut with Bellator MMA. Nelson, 41, didn't exactly have the b read news >>

UFC Fight Night 117 staff picks: Is anyone picking Okami to upset Saint Preux in UFC return?

Check out our staff picks for UFC Fight Night 117 in Japan, which features the UFC return of Yushin Okami vs. Ovince Saint Preux.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>

Watch Former UFC Fighter Cathal Pendred in Trailer for New Amazon Horror Series 'Lore' | MMAWeekly.com

Retired UFC welterweight competitor Cathal Pendred moved into acting after he left fighting behind and it didn't take long for him to land a leading role in a new series. Pendred stars in the upcomin read news >>

UFC Fight Night Japan Weigh-in Video: Mizuto Hirota Looked Uneasy on the Scale | MMAWeekly.com

(Courtesy of UFC) UFC Fight Night 117: Saint Preux vs. Okami is official after the fighters took to the scale on Thursday to weigh-in. While nearly everyone made weight, there was one notable excepti read news >>

Decorated Kickboxer Gohkan Saki Has the Feel of a Future UFC Champ

You have to admire the pure audacity of Gohkan Saki. As the former K-1 and Glory kickboxing champion prepares to make his UFC debut against Henrique da Silva on Saturday at UFC Fight Night 117, Saki read news >>

Carlos Felipe denies wrongdoing, but is replaced by Marcelo Golm vs. Christian Colombo at UFC Fight Night 119

After USADA issues kept heavyweight Carlos Felipe out of his UFC debut, another Brazilian was chosen to step in against Christian Colombo.Filed under: PFL, UFC read news >>

UFC Fight Night Japan Weigh-in Face-Offs Get a Little Chippy (Video) | MMAWeekly.com

Check out the UFC Fight Night 117 fighter staredowns, as a few of the fighters got a little chippy as they went face-to-face. read news >>

UFC Fight Night 117 Preview: 3 Fights You Can't Miss from Japan Card

I come before you today not to sell snake oil. UFC Fight Night 117 is not a good card. The card, which happens from the venerated Saitama Super Arena in Japan and airs Friday night in the United Stat read news >>

Thunder Seven - Defining Yushin Okami

At UFC RIO on August 27th, history could be made as Yushin Okami faces longtime middleweight king Anderson Silva in an opportunity to become the first Japanese champion in UFC history. read news >>