#UFC London #Fabricio Werdum #Alexander Volkov #Jan Blachowicz #Jimi Manuwa #Tony Ferguson #Khabib Nurmagomedov #UFC 223 #Conor McGregor #Rafael dos Anjos

Ronda Rousey basically announces she's forever done with MMA

It seems former UFC women’s bantamweight champion Ronda Rousey will never say never when it comes to announcing her MMA retirement.

But she basically did the same thing by putting stratospheric odds on her return to the cage.

During an interview today on “Ellen,” Rousey (12-2 MMA, 6-2 UFC) was asked if she’s done with MMA. Her answer left pretty much no doubt that professional fighting is not in her future – with some wiggle room to walk it back.

“I don’t know,” she said. “I think it’s just as likely as me going back to another Olympics for judo. No one demanded a written resignation from me for judo, and I don’t think the same thing is necessary for fighting, and I’m just doing what I enjoy. WWE is what I enjoy right now.”

Rousey signed on with the industry-leading professional wrestling promotion in January, ending months of speculation about her future. She’ll make her official debut on April 8 at WrestleMania 34 in New Orleans.

An avid fan of pro wrestling, Rousey is no stranger to the action in the ring. During her MMA career, she paid tribute to it by forming the “Four Horsewomen” alongside her MMA teammate Shayna Baszler, who is now signed to the WWE.

Rousey said transitioning from real to fake fighting doesn’t worry her too much.

“I’m nervous, but it’s not like, Olympics nervous,” she said. “The worst thing that can happen is I’ll look stupid, which is not the worst thing that could really happen. So I can’t think of the last time I was so excited for anything.”

UFC President Dana White has said he’s “very happy” to see Rousey transition away from MMA.

This past November, the UFC executive said that while the ex-champ won’t announce her retirement and continues to get drug tested by promotion anti-doping partner USADA, he doesn’t want to see her fight again.

“I wouldn’t want to see it,” White told MMAjunkie. “I don’t want it to have to happen. I care about her, and she’s got enough money. She’s got enough money and all of that stuff. I don’t want to see it happen.”

Rousey’s last trip to the cage ended in a shocking defeat when she was knocked out in under one round by current women’s bantamweight champion Amanda Nunes at UFC 207. She had taken 13 months off following a knockout loss to Holly Holm at UFC 193 that cost her the UFC title.

Despite her precipitious fall in the sport, Rousey is widely credited with helping bring women into the UFC. On the fifth anniversary of her first UFC title defense, the first-ever women’s fight in the octagon, several vets spoke about the former Olympic judoka’s contribution to MMA.

Now, Rousey is changing directions to blaze another trail in a decorated career.

“I’ve never been on a team my whole life,” she said. “When I was swimmer, I was alone. When I did judo, I was alone. When I was a fighter, I was alone. With wrestling, it’s like a big team. Everyone’s trying to work together to make it as great as possible.”

For more on the UFC’s upcoming schedule, check out the UFC Rumors section of the site.

Ronda Rousey Fights

• a year ago

UFC GYM® Announces Exclusive Partnership with TD Lifestyle

UFC GYM® today announced an exclusive 10-year partnership with TD Lifestyle plc., to open more than 100 locations throughout the United Kingdom and the Republic of Ireland. read news >>

Ronda Rousey Essentially Closes the Door on Ever Returning to the UFC Again | MMAWeekly.com

Ronda Rousey really doesn't like the word retirement but by all accounts she's put her fighting career behind her once and for all. Just after signing her new multi-year contract to join World Wrestl read news >>

Video: Watch ex-UFC star Ronda Rousey slam her way through WWE contract signing

It’s safe to say any time Ronda Rousey signed fight contracts in the UFC, it didn’t come with this level of theatrics. read news >>

Stephanie McMahon: Ronda Rousey 'Wants to Earn' Her Way in WWE | MMAWeekly.com

On the day Ronda Rousey signed with World Wrestling Entertainment (WWE) she was already one of the most recognized superstars on the roster. At one time during her UFC career, Rousey was ahead of eve read news >>

Mackenzie Dern Looking to Surpass Ronda Rousey in the Octagon (UFC 222 Embedded) | MMAWeekly.com

On Episode 2 of UFC 222 Embedded, women's featherweight title challenger Yana Kunitskaya packs for her road trip to Las Vegas, as does reigning champion Cris Cyborg. read news >>

Jon Fitch Signs Multi-Fight Contract with Bellator MMA | MMAWeekly.com

Bellator MMA announced on Thursday the signing of perennial top contender Jon Fitch (30-7-1, 1 NC) to an exclusive multi-fight contract. read news >>

After five straight losses, ex-UFC champ Andrei Arlovski finally started listening

Andrei Arlovski’s career has stretched decades, but during his most recent fight, he heard something he hadn’t in a long time: his cornerman. read news >>

Tito Ortiz comfortable in retirement after Dana White put 'kibosh' on Chuck Liddell trilogy

Tito Ortiz was pushing for a trilogy fight against Chuck Liddell, but after comments from Dana White, he doesn’t think it’s going to happen. read news >>

UFC newcomer Mackenzie Dern: After debut, fans will see more than next Ronda Rousey

UFC newcomer Mackenzie Dern is flattered she’s labeled the next Ronda Rousey. But she wants to be her own brand. read news >>

What type of character should Ronda Rousey portray in WWE?

It might make more sense for Ronda Rousey to play a heel, but that’s not what WWE wants for her. read news >>

MMA's week out of the cage: Fighters at Ronda Rousey's WWE signing, Jon Jones hangs with Steve-O

Check out the best social media posts from fighters and their lives outside of the cage in the past week. 1 2 read news >>

UFC 222 results: Zak Ottow spoils Mike Pyle's retirement fight with first-round TKO

Zak Ottow spoiled Mike Pyle’s retirement party and did what he promised with a first-round finish. read news >>

UFC 222 draws announced 12,041 attendance for $1,367,672 live gate in Las Vegas

Saturday’s UFC 222 event drew an announced attendance of 12,041 and a live gate of $1,367,672. read news >>

UFC 222 winner Zak Ottow wishes Mike Pyle well in retirement, but 'this had to be my fight to win'

Zak Ottow had always been a big fan of Mike Pyle’s, but he wasn’t too broken up about ruining the vet’s going-away party: “I felt like I was fighting for my job in there.… read news >>

Ronda Rousey Teams with Kurt Angle for First WWE Match at WrestleMania 34 | MMAWeekly.com

Ronda Rousey has finally booked her first in ring appearance as part of the WWE roster. The former UFC women's champion appeared on 'Monday Night Raw' this week where she engaged in another altercati read news >>

Ronda Rousey Addresses Women's Equality While Receiving 6th Degree Black Belt in Judo | MMAWeekly.com

Ronda Rousey receives her belt promotion at the International Sports Hall of Fame in Columbus, OH and addresses women's equality in martial arts. read news >>

Search for: