#Conor McGregor #UFC 216 #GSP #Tony Ferguson #Nate Diaz #Kevin Lee #Fight Night Rotterdam #Nick Diaz #Darren Till #Michael Bisping #Anderson Silva #Holly Holm #Donald Cerrone

According to Ronda Rousey, she was never in any danger.

The UFC women’s bantamweight champion successfully defended her crown on Saturday night in the main event of UFC 157, using her signature armbar to submit Liz Carmouche in the first round. Though Rousey would go on to submit her challenger in typical fashion, the judoka looked to be in trouble early against Carmouche at the Honda Center in Anaheim.

After scoring with a trip, Rousey make a positional error while sitting on a scarf hold and allowed Carmouche take her back. In response, the Olympic bronze medalist stood and tried to pry the challenger’s hooks off as Carmouche cranked on her mouth and jaw, working for a rear-naked choke. Rousey’s face appeared contorted and crushed, but the champion said she was more concerned with a potential wardrobe malfunction than the technique.

“The good thing is that, on the ground, I feel so comfortable in every position that I don’t feel like I’m ever in any danger, so I feel comfortable taking a lot of risks. I felt fine with her on my back. I felt very calm and in control, even though it didn’t look like that,” Rousey told Fox Sports after her victory. “I was thinking more about keeping my sports bra up while she was trying to choke me. If you actually look, at one point, I was adjusting myself when she was on my back. [I was] multitasking.”

The champion managed to twist her hips and shake Carmouche off, after which she recovered the scarf hold and transitioned to the armbar.

“I was worried I was running out of time. I take my time a lot more in MMA than I did in judo, so I was just trying to take my time and do it right,” said Rousey. “But I was also worried because I didn’t know how much time I had, so it was a hard balance to find, I guess.”

Rousey eventually found her favorite technique, though Carmouche resisted till the bitter end, submitting with just 11 seconds remaining in the opening round.

“I knew she would be very, very tough. I was expecting to go five rounds,” said Rousey. “With 10 seconds’ difference, it could have gone to the next round and been very different. She’s extremely tough. Much respect to her.”

Despite being just hours removed from her first UFC title defense, Rousey already had her eyes set on her next challenge.

“I’m very interested to see Miesha Tate and Cat Zingano at the ‘TUF’ finale,” said Rousey. “I’m going to watch that fight [in person], and I’d be very interested in taking on the winner.”

Galleries

Ronda Rousey Fights

• a year ago

Comments

Darren Till unloads on Brendan Schaub for criticizing UFC headliner vs. Donald Cerrone

Darren Till has choice words for those who question his UFC Fight Night 118 headliner against Donald Cerrone, especially Brendan Schaub.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>

Ferguson vs. Lee Remains Headliner at UFC 216 Over Johnson vs. Borg | MMAWeekly.com

The addition of a second world title fight will not affect the UFC 216 main event as the final bout order for the card was released this week. Tony Ferguson will battle Kevin Lee with the interim lig read news >>

Champ Joanna Jedrzejczyk hopes to break Ronda Rousey's record – 125 then possible

Although her focus is on UFC 217 opponent Rose Namajunas, champ Joanna Jedrzejczyk is still considering a move up to flyweight.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Alexis Davis, Liz Carmouche Meet at Flyweight in Rematch at UFC Fight Night in Fresno | MMAWeekly.com

A pair of past title challengers will meet in a rematch at 125 pounds when Alexis Davis faces off with Liz Carmouche on Dec. 9 at UFC Fight Night from Fresno, Calif. UFC officials announced the match read news >>

Alexis Davis vs. Liz Carmouche rematch among UFC-Fresno fight-card additions

December’s UFC Fight Night 123 event has a slew of new additions, officials today announced.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Here's a video of UFC 216 headliner Tony Ferguson going all over the map

Tony Ferguson talked superheroes, bears, batting cages and even Kazushi Sakuraba during his final media scrum in advance of his fight with Kevin Lee at UFC 216. Filed under: News, UFC, Videos read news >>

Keita Nakamura 'felt a little conservative' at UFC-Japan, wasn't sure he'd get the win

Keita Nakamura felt a little uneasy about his chances after a three-round slugfest with Alex Morono at UFC Fight Night 117.Filed under: News, UFC, Videos read news >>

UFC-Japan winner Teruto Ishihara definitely felt that final kick to his groin

After his win over Rolando Dy, Teruto Ishihara said the third low blow at UFC Fight Night 117 was by far the worst. Filed under: News, UFC, Videos read news >>

Francis Ngannou vs. Alistair Overeem booked as UFC 218 co-headliner in Detroit

UFC heavyweight prospect Francis Ngannou won’t get a title shot as he wished, but he will get an ex-champion in Alistair Overeem.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>

Cub Swanson says he's headlining UFC Fight Night 123 against Brian Ortega

UFC Fight Night 123 in California appears to have its headliner: Cub Swanson vs. Brian Ortega.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>