#Conor McGregor #UFC 216 #Nick Diaz #Tony Ferguson #Quinton Jackson #GSP #Nate Diaz #Kevin Lee #Rizin 7 #Michael Bisping

Robbie Lawler - StrikeforceRobbie Lawler hasn’t fought in the UFC in nearly a decade.  He debuted in the organization at UFC 37 in May 2002 at the age of 20.  He had a seven-fight stint inside the Octagon, going 4-3.  His last fight under the UFC banner was at UFC 50 in 2004 where he lost to former champion Evan Tanner by submission.

Lawler returns at UFC 157: Rousey vs. Carmouche on Saturday against Josh Koscheck.

“It’s exciting.  I didn’t realize it was that long.  It makes me feel old.  I’m excited to fight.  I’ve been training hard and this is a great opportunity and I’m happy to be here,” Lawler said during the UFC 157 pre-fight press conference.

Now 30, Lawler feels he’s more prepared than he was when he first arrived in the UFC.

“This is the big show.  I think the first time I was here, I didn’t really want to do everything.  I just wanted to fight, just come in here and fight.  I didn’t want to do the PR.  I didn’t want to talk to the media.  Now I think I’m ready for that.  I’m excited to be here,” he said.

After leaving the UFC, Lawler fought in several promotions: ICON Sport, International Fight League, Pride, EliteXC, and Strikeforce.  Most of that time, he competed as a middleweight.  UFC 157 isn’t only his return to the UFC, it’s also his return to the welterweight division.

“Guys were cutting a lot of weight, and I was kind of walking around at the weight I was fighting at, which I like to do. I like to fight and compete and I think for me to fight at a higher level, I think I need to cut a little bit of weight,” Lawler said about returning to the 170-pound weight class.

“I knew I was going to come back to the UFC and I wanted to cut down to 170 when I did it.”

Lawler expects a war with Koscheck.

“Josh has got a lot of fights in the UFC.  He’s a big, strong wrestler with strong stand-up and it’s going to be a war.  I’m ready to go.”

Galleries

Robbie Lawler Fights

• a year ago

Comments

Stipe Miocic Has Eyes On Next UFC Heavyweight Title Defense | MMAWeekly.com

UFC heavyweight champion Stipe Miocic hasn't fought since May, but he's got his sights set on his next fight. read news >>

Despite mixed results, high hopes for ex-UFC fighters in Bellator

It hasn’t been smooth sailing so far for Benson Henderson or Lorenz Larkin. Roy Nelson tests the waters for the first time at Bellator 183.Filed under: Bellator, Featured, News read news >>

UFC 216: Ferguson vs. Lee Odds, Tickets, Predictions and Pre-Weigh-in Hype

At UFC 216, the lightweight division will finally have an active title picture for the first time in the Conor McGregor era. Either Tony Ferguson or Kevin Lee will become the interim title holder in read news >>

Conor McGregor on Mayweather, state of UFC lightweight division, 'rat' Paulie Malignaggi

Conor Mcgregor opened up on a variety of topics during a fan Q&A event in Glasgow, Scotland.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>

Andrea Lee talks USADA rule that scrapped UFC 216 debut, clears air on previously failed drug test

Former Invicta FC flyweight champ Andrea Lee has entered the USADA testing pool, though she’d rather her addition have been less dramatic.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>

UFC 216 Results: Tony Ferguson Wins Lightweight Title Via Submission

After almost a year of relative inactivity in the lightweight division, the 155-pound weight class has an interim champion in Tony Ferguson. El Cucuy defeated Kevin Lee to claim the interim belt via read news >>

Fabricio Werdum Reacts to Tony Ferguson Altercation; Talks the Black Beast (Video) | MMAWeekly.com

At a UFC 216 media luncheon on Thursday, Fabricio Werdum discussed his altercation with Tony Ferguson, his fight, and the return of Lyoto Machida. read news >>

John Moraga knew job was on the line, fought back tears after huge KO at UFC 216

When he had a three-fight skid, John Moraga was starting to have doubts about whether or not he should keep pursuing the UFC dream.Filed under: News, UFC, Videos read news >>

UFC 216 reactions: Winning and losing fighters (plus a few who fought to a draw) on social media

See how the winning and losing fighters from UFC 216 reacted on social media outlets such as Twitter, Instagram and Facebook.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Dana White: Robbie Lawler-Rafael dos Anjos winner gets next shot at champ Tyron Woodley

The recently UFC on FOX 26 main event between Robbie Lawler and Rafael dos Anjos is a title-eliminator in the welterweight division. Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>