#UFC Fight Night 128 #Kevin Lee #Edson Barboza #Frankie Edgar #Cub Swanson #UFC Fight Night 57 #Conor McGregor #Anthony Ferguson #UFC 223

Rob Font Storms into Sao Paulo Aiming to Become UFC Bantamweight Contender | MMAWeekly.com

There’s not much of a better job that bantamweight Rob Font could have done in his first win of 2017 when he submitted Douglas Andrade at UF C 213 this past June.

Ford was able to quickly wear Andrade out and take advantage of an opening presented to him, claiming his second straight win in the process.

“I think we listened to the game plan that my coaches tried to put together perfect,” Font told MMAWeekly.com. “We knew exactly what we had to do to push (Andrade) and wear him out. He got real tired after that first takedown, like we predicted, after that it was just a matter of time.”

The win over Andrade was Font’s fourth in five fights since joining the UFC in 2014. Aside from the one loss, Font couldn’t be happier with how things are turning out.

“I’m having a blast,” said Font. “I’m doing exactly what I want to do. I had that one hiccup with (John) Lineker, but other than that, I’m living the dream. I expect big things in the future for sure.”

Font (14-2) looks to run his winning streak to three when he faces off against Pedro Munhoz (14-2) in a main card bantamweight bout at UFC Fight Night 119 on Saturday in Sao Paulo, Brazil.

“This one we really put a lot of time in on the mat on offense,” Font said. “Usually, it’s on Jiu-Jitsu defense, staying out of bad positions and getting out from the bottom.

“After this fight, we will really focus on my offense off my back, my offense on top, taking the fight to the ground and looking for a finish there – either TKO or submission.”

Having suffered his only UFC loss in Brazil, Font is more prepared this time to acclimate better from the trip and enjoy the time he has in country.

“We’re leaving a couple days easier and I’m taking my nutritionist with us so I don’t have to worry about food,” said Font. “We’re leaving earlier, so we can recover from the flight.

“I’m not saying why I lost last time, but as far as traveling, I should have went out earlier. I’m just going to try to have fun with it and enjoy Brazil.”

Should Font pick up his fifth win in six trips to the Octagon, he hopes to find himself among the top talent in the UFC bantamweight division, and possibly position himself for title contention before 2018 is out.

“I do believe if I go out there and put on a good performance or get a finish, I believe I’ll be in the Top 5 or Top 10 for sure,” Font said. “I’m hoping one or two more and I’ll be looking at that number one contender’s spot.”

Galleries

Pedro Munhoz Fights

• 2 months ago

Comments

Tony Ferguson Out; Max Holloway Faces Khabib Nurmagomedov in New UFC 223 Main Event | MMAWeekly.com

A knee injury has forced interim lightweight champion Tony Ferguson out of UFC 223 but in his place will step featherweight king Max Holloway who will face Khabib Nurmagomedov in the new main event t read news >>

Calvin Kattar Plans to 'Shut Down' Renato Carneiro at UFC 223 | MMAWeekly.com

Calvin Kattar (18-2) faces off against Renato Carneiro (11-1-1) in a 145-pound main card bout at UFC 223 on April 7 in Brooklyn, N.Y. read news >>

UFC Celebrates 25th Anniversary by Offering 25 Fans a Trip to Its Anniversary Event | MMAWeekly.com

UFC on Thursday announced the launch of its 'Faces of UFC' campaign to celebrate the global brand's passionate fan base as it commemorates its 25th anniversary in 2018. "In just 25 years, we've built read news >>

Raphael Assuncao vs. Rob Font on Tap for UFC 226 in Las Vegas | MMAWeekly.com

A bantamweight showdown between Raphael Assuncao and Rob Font is in the works for UFC 226 in Las Vegas on July 7. Sources close to the matchup confirmed the news on Friday following an initial report read news >>

Watch Tony Ferguson and Rafael Dos Anjos Go to War (UFC 223 Free Fight) | MMAWeekly.com

On Nov. 5, 2016, former UFC lightweight champ Rafael dos Anjos faced Tony Ferguson in the main event of The Ultimate Fighter Latin America 3 Finale in Mexico City. read news >>

Tyron Woodley Explains Floyd Mayweather's Route to UFC Success | MMAWeekly.com

Tyron Woodley recently spoke at length about how he could prepare Floyd Mayweather for a successful trip to the UFC Octagon. read news >>

Amanda Nunes and Raquel Pennington Put Friendship Aside for UFC 224 Headliner | MMAWeekly.com

UFC women's bantamweight champion Amanda Nunes and her UFC 224 challenger Raquel Pennington are friends, but that isn't going to get in the way of their goals. read news >>

Michael Chiesa Fires Back at Critics of Ronda Rousey After She Left the UFC | MMAWeekly.com

Michael Chiesa fully supports Ronda Rousey's decision to change career as she leaves the UFC and embarks on a new journey as part of World Wrestling Entertainment. In fact, Chiesa was ringside the ni read news >>

Rose Namajunas: Exclusive UFC 223 Extended Video Interview | MMAWeekly.com

Ahead of her UFC 223 rematch with Joanna Jedrzejczyk, UFC strawweight champion Rose Namajunas sat down for an extended, exclusive interview with MMAWeekly.com. read news >>

Ronda Rousey on Floyd Mayweather Crossing Over to UFC: 'That Will Never Happen' | MMAWeekly.com

For all the talk about Floyd Mayweather crossing over into mixed martial arts, former UFC women's bantamweight champion Ronda Rousey isn't buying it. Rousey, who has a long history engaging in a war read news >>

UFC Returns to Hamburg, Germany on July 22 | MMAWeekly.com

For the second time, the UFC octagon will travel to Hamburg, Germany. UFC officials announced on Tuesday that the fight promotion will return to Hamburg on Sunday, July 22 for a Fight Night event. UF read news >>

Frankie Edgar 'Comfortable' with Quick Turnaround After KO Loss | MMAWeekly.com

On March 3, at UFC 222, former lightweight champion Frankie Edgar was finished for the first time in his 13-year mixed martial arts career by Brian Ortega. Ortega hurt Edgar with an elbow and then fl read news >>

Neil Magny vs. Gunnar Nelson Added to UFC Fight Night in Liverpool | MMAWeekly.com

A welterweight matchup between Neil Magny and Gunnar Nelson is on tap for the UFC's upcoming debut card in Liverpool, England on May 27. UFC officials confirmed the matchup on Tuesday. Nelson will fi read news >>

Michael Bisping 'Definitely Interested' In Retirement Fight at UFC Event in Liverpool | MMAWeekly.com

If the UFC needs to add another marquee fight to the upcoming card in Liverpool, England, Michael Bisping is ready and willing to step up to the challenge. The former UFC middleweight champion has go read news >>

Listen In On The UFC 223 Media Conference Call Live at 5 PM ET | MMAWeekly.com

UFC will host a media conference call with all four athletes competing in title fights on the UFC 223 fight card on Wednesday at 5 p.m. ET. read news >>

UFC Fighter Amanda Lemos Suspended 2 Years by USADA for Doping Infraction | MMAWeekly.com

UFC women's bantamweight competitor Amanda Lemos has been suspended two years after testing positive for steroids from an out of competition drug test administered by USADA last year. USADA officials read news >>

Upcoming Fights