Cory Vom BaurWhile he hasn’t fought a lot in 2013, Northwest bantamweight prospect Cory Vom Baur is making the best of his limited opportunities.

After having made his successful CageSport debut last December, Vom Baur returned to the promotion in April and defeated current WSOF fighter Josh Rettinghouse for the CageSport 135-pound championship.

“Josh was a good opponent and I thought I performed pretty well,” said Vom Baur. “I finished it in the fifth round, which is always good to get a finish.

“I think I’ve improved a lot since then in all areas of my game training out of Sports Lab now.”

Vom Baur credits his training at Sports Lab for taking him to the next level.

“They do a really good job of producing well-rounded fighters,” said Vom Baur. “I have a kickboxing coach, a boxing coach, and a BJJ coach, and train on a consistent basis, five times a week.

“Really in this sport you have to be evolving in all aspects of your game, you have to be diversified and a complete fighter. At Sports Lab I can train on all aspects of my game.”

Vom Baur (6-2) may very well need every tool in his arsenal when he makes his debut for Tachi Palace Fights this Thursday in Lemoore, Calif., against former Bellator champion Joe Soto (11-2).

“I don’t know exactly what I have to do in order to get the win, but I do know that I have to punch him more times than he does to me and do more damage than he does to me,” said Vom Baur. “However that goes down, it’s going to go down.

“If you look at our skills, they probably cancel each other out, so I think it’s a pretty even match-up.”

Vom Baur acknowledges that his fight against Soto is the most important of his career thus far. But as he told MMAWeekly.com, when you get to this stage in the game, every fight is the most important fight of your career.

“That’s kind of the way this sport is, when you’re winning, you tend to rise up in competition and your next fight is always the most important fight in your career,” he said. “I’ve won my last fight (before Rettinghouse) and it’s not like you put on the breaks at that point, you’re always continuing up the ladder.

“If I beat (Soto), I’m definitely more on the map than I am now. I’m looking to make a lot of noise in this sport and it will put me up in the rankings and in that category of top-notch fighters, so that makes it the most important fight of my career so far as well.”

Pena vs. Shevchenko Results: Winner and Reaction from UFC on Fox 23

With Ronda Rousey's career possibly over, the UFC women's bantamweight division is officially trying to move on. The first step in doing so? Determining the next challenger for reigning champion Aman read news >>

UFC on FOX 23 video highlights: Jason Knight vs. Alex Caceres

In the biggest fight of his career, Jason Knight came through with flying colors, and “The Kid” may have graduated to manhood at UFC on FOX 23.Filed under: News, UFC, Videos read news >>

Josh Thomson Faces Patricky 'Pitbull' in Bellator 172 Co-Main Event | MMAWeekly.com

A lightweight feature bout pitting Josh Thomson (22-8, 1 NC) against Patricky "Pitbull" (16-8) will serve as the co-main event of Bellator 172. read news >>

Holm, de Randamie look for career-defining wins; Silva, Brunson want more at UFC 208

Everyone that steps into the Octagon does so for their own reasons, but next Saturday night at Barclays Center, Holly Holm and Germaine de Randamie will enter the UFC’s eight-sided proving ground wit read news >>

Scratched from UFC 208 due to eye issue, Luis Henrique says his career options now limited

Luis Henrique said his career options have dwindled after he was pulled from Saturday’s UFC 208 lineup. Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Derek Brunson Says Anderson Silva's Losses are Due to 'Unfortunate Events' | MMAWeekly.com

Middleweight contender Derek Brunson faces former champion Anderson Silva in the UFC 208 co-main event with hopes that a win will put him back into title talk. read news >>

Willis replaces Henrique, faces Tybura at UFC 208

Saturday's UFC 208 card at Barclays Center in Brooklyn is now complete, with the addition of a heavyweight fight between Poland's Marcin Tybura and Octagon newcomer Justin Willis. read news >>

Inside the impressive career facts and figures for UFC 208 co-headliner Anderson Silva

Former longtime pound-for-pound king Anderson Silva once again returns to the octagon on Saturday when he takes on Derek Brunson in the UFC 208 co-main event. Get a look at his impressive career numb read news >>

Holm vs. De Randamie: Career Stats, Highlights for Both Before UFC 208

The UFC will add a new champion to the fold when Holly Holm and Germaine de Randamie close out UFC 208 on Saturday, February 11, at the Barclays Center in Brooklyn, New York. The main event features read news >>

Germaine de Randamie Looking to Solidify Fighting Career with UFC Title | MMAWeekly.com

The UFC will crown its first female 145-pound champion at UFC 208 on Saturday. Either Germaine de Randamie or Holly Holm will make history. read news >>