#UFC Fight Night 118 #Darren Till #Donald Cerrone #Artem Lobov #Andre Fili #Bellator 185 #Karolina Kowalkiewicz #Gegard Mousasi #Alexander Shlemenko #Jan Blachowicz #Devin Clark #Kristina Williams #Bellator MMA #Heather Hardy #Sam Alvey

Cory Vom BaurWhile he hasn’t fought a lot in 2013, Northwest bantamweight prospect Cory Vom Baur is making the best of his limited opportunities.

After having made his successful CageSport debut last December, Vom Baur returned to the promotion in April and defeated current WSOF fighter Josh Rettinghouse for the CageSport 135-pound championship.

“Josh was a good opponent and I thought I performed pretty well,” said Vom Baur. “I finished it in the fifth round, which is always good to get a finish.

“I think I’ve improved a lot since then in all areas of my game training out of Sports Lab now.”

Vom Baur credits his training at Sports Lab for taking him to the next level.

“They do a really good job of producing well-rounded fighters,” said Vom Baur. “I have a kickboxing coach, a boxing coach, and a BJJ coach, and train on a consistent basis, five times a week.

“Really in this sport you have to be evolving in all aspects of your game, you have to be diversified and a complete fighter. At Sports Lab I can train on all aspects of my game.”

Vom Baur (6-2) may very well need every tool in his arsenal when he makes his debut for Tachi Palace Fights this Thursday in Lemoore, Calif., against former Bellator champion Joe Soto (11-2).

“I don’t know exactly what I have to do in order to get the win, but I do know that I have to punch him more times than he does to me and do more damage than he does to me,” said Vom Baur. “However that goes down, it’s going to go down.

“If you look at our skills, they probably cancel each other out, so I think it’s a pretty even match-up.”

Vom Baur acknowledges that his fight against Soto is the most important of his career thus far. But as he told MMAWeekly.com, when you get to this stage in the game, every fight is the most important fight of your career.

“That’s kind of the way this sport is, when you’re winning, you tend to rise up in competition and your next fight is always the most important fight in your career,” he said. “I’ve won my last fight (before Rettinghouse) and it’s not like you put on the breaks at that point, you’re always continuing up the ladder.

“If I beat (Soto), I’m definitely more on the map than I am now. I’m looking to make a lot of noise in this sport and it will put me up in the rankings and in that category of top-notch fighters, so that makes it the most important fight of my career so far as well.”

Comments

What debut? Aaron Pico just hit the reset button on an again-promising career

Want to make people forget about your embarrassing debut? Send your next opponent crashing to the canvas.Filed under: Blue Corner, Featured Videos, News read news >>

What Is Benson Henderson's Legacy After Bellator 183?

The Bellator career of Benson Henderson has been turbulent. He's enjoyed two title fights in two separate weight classes since jumping ship from the UFC in early 2016, but he lost them both. After hi read news >>

Max Holloway's Blessed UFC Career

"It’s cool having this belt and being a champion, but I want to make sure my son is set. I want him to go to college. I don’t want him to fight. Fighting is insane." read news >>

On Matt Brown vs. Diego Sanchez, and 2 opposite approaches to the close of a career

Matt Brown performed an honest career calculation that led him to his decision to retire after his next fight. His opponent, Diego Sanchez, seems to have chosen the opposite path. For many aging figh read news >>

What hits like a heavyweight, but moves like a welterweight? A driven Derrick Lewis, apparently

After an entire career hearing that he’ll be in trouble should his fights go to the ground, UFC 216’s Derrick Lewis is not worried about Fabricio Werdum’s grappling: “I believe it’s just going to rea read news >>

Abdul Razak Alhassan faces Sabah Homasi at UFC 218 in Detroit

A pair of welterweight prospects will throw down at UFC 218 looking to rebound.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Conor McGregor Teases His UFC Return, Names Several Possible Opponents | MMAWeekly.com

Conor McGregor is nearly ready to resume his UFC career but he's still undecided on who he will face when he steps back inside the Octagon. The reigning UFC lightweight champion took part in a Q&A in read news >>

Fabricio Werdum faces 'zero, zero pressure,' will try to finish Derrick Lewis on mat at UFC 216

Former UFC heavyweight champ Fabricio Werdum knows Derrick Lewis can’t match him on the mat, so he plans to take the fight there.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>

UFC 216 preview: A closer look at Demetrious Johnson's career statistics

UFC champ Demetrious Johnson returns next Saturday in search of history in UFC 216’s co-headlining act. Check out his amazing career stats.Filed under: News, UFC, Videos read news >>

Aung La Nsang Faces Alain Ngalani in Open Weight Superfight at ONE: Hero's Dream | MMAWeekly.com

ONE Championship goes old school with an open weight superfight between Aung La Nsang and Alain Ngalani at "Hero's Dream." read news >>