#UFC Fight Night 118 #Darren Till #Donald Cerrone #Bellator 185 #Artem Lobov #Andre Fili #Gegard Mousasi #Alexander Shlemenko #Karolina Kowalkiewicz #Jan Blachowicz #Devin Clark #Kristina Williams #Sam Alvey #Ramazan Emeev #Marcin Held

After upsetting Patricky “Pitbull” Freire in the opening round of Bellator’s Season 6 lightweight tournament, Lloyd Woodard didn’t hesitate to call out Michael Chandler.

The Bellator lightweight champion is the only fighter with a win over Woodard, having earned a unanimous decision against him in April 2011. However, before Woodard can get a rematch, he has to go through two more opponents and win the tournament.

Semifinal foe Rick Hawn didn’t take offense when he heard Woodard set his sights on Chandler. He is focused on spoiling Woodard’s plans, though, when they meet Friday at Bellator 66.

“I was talking with [Woodard] when we were doing our photo shoot back in January for Bellator, and he was all about getting back at Chandler,” Hawn told the Sherdog Radio Network’s “Savage Dog Show.” “He wanted to fight ‘Pitbull’ first round, and his ultimate goal was to get back at Chandler. I understand his motivation for that, but I didn’t call out Chandler when they asked me because I know I’m not there yet. I’ve got two more fights to go before I can call anyone out. But he’s a crazy guy. He’s energetic. He’s a nice kid. I like him, but I’m going to go out there and take it to him. He’s not getting a chance to fight Chandler.”

Hawn advanced into the semifinals by knocking out Ricardo Tirioni. It was an impressive win, coming in just 2:36, but he also took note of Woodard’s performance against Freire.

“Lloyd took it to him,” Hawn said. “He just overwhelmed him, and I think that was surprising for ‘Pitbull.’ It was good for me to see that. Now I know what to expect.”

The tournament is Woodard’s second in Bellator. His loss to Chandler came in the semifinals of the Season 4 lightweight field. That same season, Hawn made it to the finals of the welterweight tournament, where he lost a split decision to Jay Hieron. It was Georges St. Pierre’s trainer, Firas Zahabi, who encouraged Hawn to move down to 155.

“When I moved up to Montreal to train at Tri-Star, Firas Zahabi, one of the first things he said to me was he could see me at lightweight,” Hawn explained. “I didn’t really think I could drop that 30 pounds, but it’s worked out. Ultimately I wanted to have the most success and use my body and to have the most effect with it, and lightweight is where I am now because of that.”

Hawn’s off to a good start in the division, but he knows he’s in for a challenge Friday against Woodard.

“His best asset, I think, is his tenacity,” Hawn said. “Technically, he seems kind of wild, but that makes him dangerous. It’s something you’ve got to watch out for. He’s aggressive. He’s just going to come at you. … He’s a tough kid. He’s strong. He’s athletic, and those types of guys are dangerous. I really have to be on my toes.”

Listen to the full interview (beginning at 1:27:16).

Comments

Patricky Freire says he should get title shot before Michael Chandler

Bellator lightweight Patricky “Pitbull” Freire believes he’s earned the right to cut the line of contenders at 155 pounds.Filed under: Bellator, News, Videos read news >>

Bizarre Bellator title triangle: Michael Chandler, Patricky Freire, Brent Primus battle on social media

Patricky Freire thinks he should fight for Brent Primus’ title. Michael Chandler is in the conversation. And they’re all on social media.Filed under: Bellator, Blue Corner, Featured Videos, News read news >>

Sorry 'Pitbull': Scott Coker says Michael Chandler first for champ Brent Primus

Patricky Freire and Brent Primus might have signed off on a fight, Bellator chief Scott Coker hasn’t forgotten about Michael Chandler.Filed under: Bellator, News, Videos read news >>

Watch MMAjunkie Radio here (1 p.m. ET) with Michael Chandler and Walt Harris

MMAjunkie Radio kicks off today at 1 p.m. ET (10 a.m. PT) with guests Michael Chandler and Walt Harris.Filed under: Bellator, News, UFC read news >>

Stream or download MMAjunkie Radio #2532 with Michael Chandler and Walt Harris

Stream or download Tuesday’s episode of MMAjunkie Radio with guests Michael Chandler and Walt HarrisFiled under: Bellator, News, Radio, UFC read news >>

Undefeated A.J. McKee set to fight Jeremy Petley at Bellator 187 in Ireland

A.J. McKee won’t face rival James Gallagher like he’d hoped, but they’ll be on the same card.Filed under: Bellator, News read news >>

Francis Ngannou vs. Alistair Overeem booked as UFC 218 co-headliner in Detroit

UFC heavyweight prospect Francis Ngannou won’t get a title shot as he wished, but he will get an ex-champion in Alistair Overeem.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>

Primus rematch? Sure, but Michael Chandler also eyes 170 with MacDonald and Daley

It’s not that Michael Chandler doesn’t want a chance to reclaim Bellator’s 155-pound title. But eyeing a quick turnaround and big fights in the welterweight division, it’s not his only option.Filed u read news >>

UFC contender Julianna Pena announces pregnancy, putting career on hold

Julianna Pena won’t be returning to the octagon any time soon; the UFC women’s bantamweight contender is pregnant.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

New weight class, new timezone, no problem for UFC-Gdansk's Jonathan Wilson

• a day ago

Jonathan Wilson won’t just be battling an undefeated opponent at UFC Fight Night 118.Filed under: News, UFC, Videos read news >>