#UFC 216 #Conor McGregor #Rizin 7 #Nick Diaz #Tony Ferguson #GSP #Nate Diaz #Kevin Lee #Quinton Jackson #Michael Bisping

In mixed martial arts, there is no feeling quite like that of the emphatic knockout. Just ask Rick Hawn, who authored the eighth such finish of his career by dropping Ricardo Tirloni with a right hand in the first round of his lightweight debut at Bellator 62.

“Knocking somebody out is just an instant surge; it’s an adrenaline rush,” Hawn recently told Sherdog.com. “It’s an overwhelming feeling of excitement. Once I get inside that cage, the adrenaline takes over. Adrenaline will do some really crazy things to guys. I always try to be calm in life and when I fight, but when you get a finish like that it’s just a complete release. All of the adrenaline is running through your body and it’s just a really awesome feeling. Everything comes together right at that moment.”

Hawn, who faces Lloyd Woodard in a 155-pound semifinal at Bellator 66 on Friday, believes he is just barely beginning to tap into his potential on the feet.

“I feel like my power has always been there, but my technique is a lot better now. The last time I fought against Jay Hieron was like 10 months ago, so I have improved a lot since that last fight,” he said. “It’s all about how you hit someone. A lot of it has to do with having that perfect timing, and that comes from training.”

That split-decision loss to Hieron came in Bellator’s Season 4 welterweight finals and ultimately proved to be the judo Olympian’s last bout at 170 pounds. While he says that dropping weight was the right career move, he also gained valuable experience from the defeat.

“I came up short in the finals, but that just made me an even better fighter today,” Hawn said. “Now I know what it’s going to take to win the whole tournament. Now that I have been there and I have been close, I know that I have to do even more this time.”

Woodard turned heads by upsetting prohibitive tournament favorite Patricky Freire in the lightweight quarterfinals at Bellator 62, submitting “Pitbull” with a gruesome kimura in round two. It was the first time the Brazilian had been finished and marked Woodard’s 12th victory in 13 fights.

The man known as “Cupcake” has been vocal about getting a chance to avenge his only career loss, a unanimous decision setback at the hands of lightweight champion Michael Chandler more than a year ago. Hawn thinks Woodard is taking a risk by looking too far ahead.

“This fight with Lloyd Woodard is going to be a war,” Hawn said. “I feel like he’s looking past me to get at Michael Chandler, and that’s a huge mistake. He can look past me all he wants. He is going to have a rude awakening once he gets inside that cage.”

Comments

ONE Championship 61 highlights: 2 guys yelling about emotional victories and quick KOs

Did you miss out on this past weekend’s ONE Championship 61 event? Well then let Michael Schiavello and Mitch Chilson bring you all the highlights at a volume level that would make Dana White and Joe read news >>

UFC Fight Night 116 medical suspensions: Newcomer Zu Anyanwu out indefinitely

One of the 20 fighters on this past Saturday’s UFC Fight Night 116 event is facing an indefinite suspension following his promotional debut. Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Joe Rogan Thinks Conor McGregor Will Return to Boxing | MMAWeekly.com

UFC broadcaster Joe Rogan thinks that Conor McGregor might not be done with his ventures in boxing. read news >>

Controversial Judge from Canelo vs. Golovkin Pulled from UFC 216 Duties | MMAWeekly.com

A scoring controversy surrounding the boxing match this past weekend between Saul "Canelo" Alvarez and Gennady "GGG" Golovkin has resulted in a judging change for the upcoming UFC 216 card in Las Veg read news >>

Why did UFC-Pittsburgh winner Olivier Aubin-Mercier ask for Charles Oliveira? Well, 'why not?'

Olivier Aubin-Mercier thinks getting a “little bit cocky” in the third round may have made his UFC Fight Night 116 encounter with Tony Martin harder than it needed to be.Filed under: News, UFC, Video read news >>

Reminder: MMAjunkie Radio on vacation today, but catch up on past episodes now

MMAjunkie Radio is off a few more days this week following an MMA-themed trip to visit U.S. troops but will return Thursday. Now is the perfect time to download and catch up on past episodes.Filed un read news >>

Champion Andrea Lee Thinks He's A Better Fighter Than Her LFA 23 Opponent | MMAWeekly.com

Andrea Lee will finally get the opportunity to defend her 125-pound title when she takes on Jamie Thorton in the LFA 23 co-main event on Friday. read news >>

UFC champ Michael Bisping's ideal scenario could delay retirement past GSP fight

Michael Bisping (sort of) walks back his comments on his last fight potentially being at UFC 217 against Georges St-Pierre.Filed under: Featured, Featured Videos, News, UFC read news >>

Reminder: MMAjunkie Radio on vacation today, but catch up on past episodes now

MMAjunkie Radio is off today following an MMA-themed trip to visit U.S. troops but returns Thursday. Now is the perfect time to download and catch up on past episodes.Filed under: News read news >>

UFC Middleweight Luke Rockhold Is the Heel Nobody Asked for

Luke Rockhold won a fight this past weekend. It was the first time he'd done that since late 2015, when he won the UFC middleweight title, and his first appearance since mid-2016, when he lost that s read news >>