#UFC Fight Night 117 #Conor McGregor #Gokhan Saki #UFC Fight Night 83 #Jessica Andrade #Claudia Gadelha #Saint Preux #Jon Jones #Luke Rockhold #Nate Diaz

Rich FranklinIn July 2011, just before his scheduled fight at UFC 133, Rich Franklin was of the mindset that his time at middleweight was over.

“The UFC has basically told me that they’re not interested in having me fight at 185 anymore,” Franklin said in an interview with MMAWeekly.com. “Which is the only reason I made the move to 205 in the first place.”

Fast forward to March 2012 after Franklin had shoulder surgery that kept him out of fighting for the remainder of 2011, and it was announced that he would face former Strikeforce champion Cung Le at UFC 148.

The biggest surprise about that fight of course is that it’s taking place at middleweight.

So what changed over these last several months that brought Frankling back down to 185 pounds?

“After this injury, I was talking to Monte Cox and I said what would the UFC think about me moving back down to 185? I think at this point in time, in their minds, if I was able to put a title run together, even if they did do another rematch between Anderson (Silva) and I, there’s been enough time at this point there would be interest in the fight, and I guess that’s what the interest is now,” Franklin told MMAWeekly Radio on Thursday.

Truth be told, Franklin was never a huge fan of fighting at light heavyweight to begin with, so when the door opened back up for him to return to 185 pounds, he jumped at the chance.

There are no certainties in MMA of course, so the door to return to 205 pounds isn’t closed by any means, but Franklin is hopeful that his final days of fighting will all be carried out in the UFC’s middleweight division.

“I try to avoid absolutes, but yeah if I’m going to move down to 185, making a jump to 205 is a difficult thing to do and making a jump back down to 185 is a difficult thing to do, but constantly moving back and forth between the two, and I was doing catchweights at 195, that makes things more difficult,” said Franklin.

“You don’t really have a home. Your body is constantly having to adjust to different weights, so this should help stabilize things for me. Hopefully, this is where I’ll finish my career.”

Of course, just coming back from major shoulder surgery and having his first fight scheduled against Cung Le in July, Franklin knows he’s still a ways off from competing for the UFC middleweight title again, but that’s still his ultimate goal.

The passion to once again claim the 185-pound title that he held and defended two times is something that Franklin still holds near and dear.

“That would be my Cinderella story. It would be great. I had one chance at that and fighting in my hometown and all that kind of stuff to regain my title, swing and a miss, strike one. I moved up to 205 and never really quite put things together at 205, swing and a miss, strike two. So hopefully this would be the way to end it,” Franklin stated.

“We’re starting with a good exciting fight, we’ll move forward from there. But that would be my Cinderella story.”

Check out the full interview with Rich Franklin from MMAWeekly Radio below:

Follow @DamonMartin on Twitter or e-mail Damon Martin.
For more
UFC News and UFC Rumors, follow MMAWeekly.com on Twitter and Facebook.

Comments

Ray Borg says he's going to end Demetrious Johnson's career in UFC 215 title fight

Ray Borg believes he’s not only going to upset UFC flyweight champ Demetrious Johnson, but also retire him at UFC 215.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Jeremy Stephens postponed his wedding to fight Gilbert Melendez at UFC 215

Jeremy Stephens postponed his wedding, which is why he hopes to make Gilbert Melendez’s first night as a featherweight miserable.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC, Videos read news >>

Struve believes he's best he's ever been

Almost nine years and 18 fights into his UFC career, Stefan Struve is finally starting to show just how dangerous he can be inside the Octagon. The 29-year-old returns to action Saturday, headlining read news >>

Just 1 year into pro career, UFC's Cynthia Calvillo looks for perfect 5-0 calendar year

A year into her pro MMA career, Cynthia Calvillo is already making a splash in the UFC. She hopes to conclude 2017 with a perfect 5-0 mark.Filed under: News, Radio Highlight, UFC, Videos read news >>

A look at UFC champ Demetrious Johnson's career stats and records, including the big one

UFC flyweight champion and pound-for-pound great Demetrious Johnson returns to the octagon on Saturday in search of history in UFC 215’s headlining act. Check out his amazing career stats.Filed under read news >>

UFC champ Cris Cyborg issued California boxing license, appears serious about in-ring career

UFC champion Cris Cyborg seems poised to find out if her MMA dominance can translate to the boxing ring.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>

UFC Veteran Mark Hunt Discusses Slurred Speech, Memory Loss

Mark Hunt is almost 20 years deep into his combat sports career and, unfortunately, it's starting to catch up with him. The Super Samoan discussed his physical and mental situation in a piece for Pla read news >>

UFC-Pittsburgh results: Gregor Gillespie taps out Jason Gonzalez in absolute barnburner

Gregor Gillespie kept his career record perfect, but Jason Gonzalez didn’t make it easy.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>

Charles Rosa Looks To Break Familiar Pattern In Japan

Charles Rosa’s UFC career has seen the star continually win at home in Boston, while losing his matches when he fights on the road. Still, each of those road losses resulted in performance bonuses, w read news >>

Champ Joanna Jedrzejczyk hopes to break Ronda Rousey's record – 125 then possible

Although her focus is on UFC 217 opponent Rose Namajunas, champ Joanna Jedrzejczyk is still considering a move up to flyweight.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>