#Conor McGregor #UFC 216 #Tony Ferguson #GSP #Fight Night Rotterdam #Nate Diaz #Kevin Lee #Darren Till #Dominick Cruz #Donald Cerrone #Cody Garbrandt #Felice Herrig #Nunes vs. Rousey #UFC 207 - Nunes vs. Rousey

Rich Franklin vs Chuck Liddell UFC 115Having once ruled the UFC middleweight division, Rich Franklin now says that he is on the cusp of retirement.

In fact, Franklin told Inside MMA recently that he expects to fight one more time and that it will be his swan song.

Franklin won the UFC 185-pound strap in June of 2005, defeating the late Evan Tanner for the honor. He made two title defenses before a wrecking machine named Anderson Silva entered the Octagon.

Silva took the belt from Franklin. Even though he earned a rematch, Franklin couldn’t win his belt back. The rematch was in late 2007.

Franklin has remained competitive at the upper end of the middleweight division ever since, alternating between wins and losses.

“I lost my last fight (to Cung Le), and that really kind of solidified my decision to make this my last fight coming up,” Franklin told Inside MMA. “I know that took me out of title contention, and so for me to actually get back in the title hunt again would be a couple years worth of work.”

But at 39 years of age, time is running short on his mixed martial arts career, and Franklin is prepared to move on to the next chapter in his life.

“I’ll be 40 next year, and it’s getting to the point where it’s late in my life, and it’s really too late to make that title run. So I started questioning, what am I really fighting for if I can’t make it to the title anymore? I know I’m not in title contention anymore, and I realize that. That’s how it is.”

Franklin has already begun his post-fight career, launching into the juice business.

“(The juice business) will be my next phase,” he told MMAWeekly.com earlier this year. “In some capacity I’ll be involved in MMA. I’m not sure if I’ll end up commentating or analyzing or whatever way the UFC will end up using me in the future, but I don’t know how financially rewarding that will be. I don’t want to put all my eggs in one basket, so I need to make sure I diversify with my income.”

While selling organic fruit juice might not seem like an obvious choice of direction for a former fighter, Franklin feels that the expertise that has helped him continue to hold his own in the UFC will serve him well in the next phase of his professional life.

“I’m very passionate about nutrition,” said Franklin. “I’m a fighter who’s very specific about nutrition and the way that I train and my work ethic. I could stand here and talk nutrition all day with you, so it’s a business that makes sense.”

It remains to be seen who Franklin will face in his final fight; “somebody who makes sense” is that matters to him. The next stage of his life has already begun, and he sounds content with what he was able to achieve in the fight game.

Comments

Claudia Gadelha has 'no excuses' for UFC-Japan loss, plans for time off

Claudia Gadelha plans to take a hiatus from competition following a “Fight of the Night” loss to Jessica Andrade at UFC Fight Night 117. Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Matt Brown: 'It's Time for Diego Sanchez to Retire and I Think I'm Going to Retire Him' | MMAWeekly.com

Matt Brown plans on two UFC careers coming to an end in November read news >>

UFC 216 Title Fight in Jeopardy, One More Fight Cancelled At Early Weigh-Ins | MMAWeekly.com

LAS VEGAS — The main event title fight at UFC 216 is in jeopardy following the early-weigh-ins from Las Vegas. Main event fighter Kevin Lee waited until the deadline at 11 a.m. local time to step on read news >>

Manager: Henry Cejudo will fight Sergio Pettis at UFC 218 despite injuries, lost Olympic medal in fire

Henry Cejudo still plans to fight at UFC 218 despite burning his foot and losing key personal items while escaping the California wildfires.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

UFC Plans to Donation to Aid Victims of Las Vegas Shooting | MMAWeekly.com

The Ultimate Fighting Championship is planning to make a sizable donation to aid the victims of Sunday's tragic shooting in Las Vegas. read news >>

UFC 216's Kevin Lee intends to prove he's not 'all talk' against 'weird dude' Tony Ferguson

Kevin Lee plans to be the one to back up all his trash talk when he steps in the octagon vs. Tony Ferguson at UFC 216.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC, Videos read news >>

Jordon Larson Heads into LFA 25 Shaping His Plans for UFC or Bellator

Jordon Larson (8-3) will look to get a more productive win when he returns to the LFA on Friday to take on Kassius Holdorf (10-4) in a170-pound bout in Omaha. read news >>

Henry Cejudo Confirms He's Fighting Sergio Pettis at UFC 218 | MMAWeekly.com

Let's try this one more time. Henry Cejudo confirmed late Thursday that he is planning to face Sergio Pettis at UFC 218 on Dec. 2 in Detroit. Cejudo's confirmation follows an initial report by MMA Fi read news >>

Matchmaker Says Khabib Nurmagomedov Was Offered Tony Ferguson at UFC 217 | MMAWeekly.com

UFC matchmaker Sean Shelby reveals plans were in motion for Ferguson vs. Nurmagomedov in November read news >>

UFC confirms Khabib Nurmagomedov was offered fight with Tony Ferguson at UFC 217

Behind all the Twitter sparring between Tony Ferguson and Khabib Nurmagomedov, the UFC tried to book the pair a fourth time.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>