#UFC Fight Night 83 #Luke Rockhold #Conor McGregor #David Branch #Saturday Night Fights #Nate Diaz #GGG #Michael Bisping #UFC 215 #Time To Shine

When Rich Franklin made the decision to move back to middleweight, just about everyone wondered if he’d be able to earn another shot at the title.

Franklin exited the 185-pound division after two losses to Anderson Silva, but now returns in hopes of one day securing another shot at the Brazilian. The fact is, outside of the two losses to Silva, Franklin has never been defeated at middleweight, but he’s still got a long ladder to climb before fathoming a third fight against the most dominant champion in UFC history.

Following a short-notice catchweight fight and victory over Wanderlei Silva in June, Franklin returns this weekend to face Cung Le in China in the headline fight of UFC on Fuel TV 6. Of course, Franklin would love to secure another middleweight title shot, but he knows it won’t happen with a win in this fight. More importantly, he knows there’s no chance of even getting into title shot conversations with a loss.

“I have a fight against Cung and I don’t really think beyond that fight. I don’t think about title shots, this and that, and I don’t think, well, if I win or if I lose. I never put the possibility of ‘if I lose’ in my head because if you do that you’re automatically opening yourself up to a loss, and once you do that, you’ve lost the fight,” said Franklin when speaking to MMAWeekly Radio.

“I have to be motivated to beat Cung and that’s it. I have Cung on November 10th, and it doesn’t matter what comes after that, and it’s not important. What’s important right now is winning that fight because if I didn’t win that fight those opportunities aren’t going to come anyways. It doesn’t matter whether I’d be motivated by them or not.”

There is no doubt that Franklin would love to earn another crack at the UFC middleweight title before his career comes to a close, but it’s not within his grasp at this time, so there’s no real reason to talk about it.

“I don’t believe the UFC, I don’t believe they’re going to give me a title fight after this. I believe there’s going to be another step in that process, and I don’t know who that would be, if it would be somebody like a (Michael) Bisping, or something like that, but winning a fight always puts you in the right direction,” said Franklin.

“I still don’t think the UFC is interested in doing a Franklin/Silva 3.”

A win is what’s most important to Franklin because without that there’s no need to even talk about title fights, contender spots, or top ten status.

Franklin will surely have to address a few of those questions with a victory over Cung Le in China, however.

Make sure to follow MMAWeekly.com on Twitter for all your UFC on Fuel 6 updates this Saturday.

Comments

What Does Dana White Anticipate is Next for Conor McGregor? | MMAWeekly.com

UFC president Dana White addresses what's next for Conor McGregor and if he expects there to be issues with his top draw at the negotiating table. read news >>

Amanda Nunes Addresses Dana White's Criticism Over UFC 213 Withdrawal | MMAWeekly.com

Leading up to UFC 215, Amanda Nunes addressed her withdrawal from UFC 213 and the criticism that she received from the likes of Dana White. read news >>

Siyar Bahadurzada: ‘I’m Back and I’m Motivated!’ (Interview & Highlights)

(Courtesy of UFC) Fighting on his adopted home turf in the Netherlands, Siyar Bahadurzada finished Rob Wilkinson midway through the second round of their UFC Fight Night 115 co-main event. The bout m read news >>

Controversial Canelo-GGG judge Adalaide Byrd's status in question for UFC 216 in Las Vegas

She came under fire for her lopsided 118-110 score for Canelo Alverez over Gennady Golovkin. The boxing super fight ended in a draw.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>

UFC-Japan's Jessica Andrade motivated by failed title bid, aiming for KO of Claudia Gadelha

• a day ago

Rather than letting it deter her, Jessica Andrade says losing her stab at the strawweight title against champ Joanna Jedrzejczyk at UFC 211 has given her added confidence moving forward.Filed under: read news >>

Watch Yushin Okami Take Out Evan Tanner with a Devastating Knee (UFC KO of the Week) | MMAWeekly.com

• a day ago

Check out Yushin Okami's impressive knockout of former UFC middleweight champion Evan Tanner. read news >>

Joanna Jedrzejczyk Has New Weapons for Rose Namajunas | MMAWeekly.com

• a day ago

UFC strawweight champ Joanna Jedrzejczyk promises some new weaponry when she faces Rose Namajunas. read news >>

Luke Rockhold Trashes Michael Bisping's Title Reign as 'the Worst in UFC History' | MMAWeekly.com

• 23 hours ago

Luke Rockhold has never been a fan of Michael Bisping but it seems he likes him even less a year and a half into his middleweight title reign in the UFC. Of course, Rockhold has a reason to hold a gr read news >>

Episode No. 4 recap: 'The Ultimate Fighter 26: A New World Champion'

• 22 hours ago

MMAjunkie recaps episode No. 4 of “The Ultimate Fighter 26,” which crowns the inaugural UFC women’s flyweight champion.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Watch the First-Round Finish That Earned Geoff Neal A UFC Contract | MMAWeekly.com

• 21 hours ago

Watch Geoff Neal and his powerful left hand in the fight that earned him a UFC contract. read news >>