#Conor McGregor #GSP #UFC 216 #Tony Ferguson #Nate Diaz #Fight Night Rotterdam #Kevin Lee #Nick Diaz #Michael Bisping #Darren Till #Anderson Silva #Holly Holm #Donald Cerrone

vinicius-queiroz.jpgJust underneath the surface, it’s obvious that Vinicius Queiroz is still bitter about his most recent defeat. But on the outside, he insists he’s put it behind. After all, there’s new business at hand.

“I’m happy for Alexander Volkov,” Queiroz told MMAjunkie.com in his native Portuguese. “He’s a great champion with a great fight record. But anyone who saw us fight knows that I was nullifying his game. No one else in Bellator fought him as well as I did.”

Queiroz (6-3 MMA, 1-1 BMMA) and Bellator MMA heavyweight champ Volkov (19-3 MMA, 3-0 BMMA) met in the semifinals of the company’s Season 7 heavyweight tournament. While grappling specialist Queiroz stymied knockout artist Volkov in the early going, a controversial second-round referee restart gave the Russian the opening he needed to land heavy leather and end the fight.

“I think I was doing well at first, keeping a good distance,” Queiroz said. “But the referee interfered by standing us up too quickly after I took Volkov down. Many fans and even the Bellator officials saw this. That standup was a determining factor in our fight, but it’s water under the bridge now. Now my goal is to win this tourney and face him again. I’ll be even more prepared for his standup, and he’ll be more prepared for my ground game, so it will be a different fight altogether.”

Volkov would go on to defeat Richard Hale and claim Bellator’s vacant heavyweight belt. Queiroz now looks to earn his way to the rematch with a win in the company’s Season 9 heavyweight bracket. Up first is another hard-hitter, Lavar Johnson (17-7 MMA, 0-0 BMMA), at Friday’s Bellator 102 event at California’s Visalia Convention Center. The fight is part of the evening’s Spike TV-televised main card and follows prelims that stream on Spike.com.

“I think Lavar is a very experienced athlete, coming to Bellator from the UFC,” Queiroz said. “It’s a pleasure to welcome him to Bellator. He does have heavy hands and fights aggressively. I’ve fought muay Thai my entire life, so I’m more than ready to trade on the feet with him. I also feel my jiu-jitsu is an advantage over him. It may be a good path to win this fight. But I’m ready on the feet or on the ground, and undeniably he is very tough standing.”

The fight will certainly have an old-school feel. Both fighters’ path to victory seems clear. Johnson’s heavy hands have felled 15 former foes, but his undoing has often proved to be on the ground, where Queiroz will hold a significant edge. The winner moves on to face the victor in the night’s other semifinal bout with Mark Godbeer vs. Cheick Kongo.

A tournament win brings with it a shot at the promotion’s heavyweight belt, which is Queiroz’s ultimate goal. Should that mean a rematch with Volkov, as well, then all the sweeter.

“It’s just one fight at a time for me,” Queiroz said. “Of course I want a rematch with Volkov, but first I need to win this grand prix. Then I’ll face whoever happens to be holding the belt. That’s my focus.”

For more on Bellator 102, stay tuned to the MMA Rumors section of the site.

Comments

Bellator 183 winner Goiti Yamauchi on his speak-the-truth vision to become lightweight champ

Goiti Yamauchi doesn’t mind that he was dismissive of his opponent’s skills before Bellator 183. He spoke his truth, then proved it.Filed under: Bellator, News read news >>

'King Mo' Lawal out of Bellator 185 co-headliner against Liam McGeary

Injuries continue to plague Muhammed Lawal, this time forcing him out of his Bellator 185 co-main event bout with Liam McGeary.Filed under: Bellator, News read news >>

'King' Mo Lawal Out of Bellator 185, Replacement Sought for Liam McGeary | MMAWeekly.com

A change has been made to the upcoming Bellator 185 card on Oct. 20 as 'King' Mo Lawal has been forced out of his co-main event fight against Liam McGeary with an undisclosed injury. Bellator officia read news >>

Bellator 184 pre-event facts: Eduardo Dantas can take lead in championship-fight wins

For more on the numbers behind Friday’s Bellator 184 fight card, check out 20 pre-event facts.Filed under: Bellator, News read news >>

Bellator 184's Westin Wilson, the guy who gets fight advice from his former DEA agent dad

Featherweight Weston Wilson was 17 when his dad moved the family to Brazil. It wasn’t your average relocation – his dad worked for the DEA.Filed under: Bellator, News read news >>

Bubba McDaniel replaces 'King Mo' against Liam McGeary at Bellator 185

It didn’t take long for Bellator to find a replacement opponent to step in against former champion Liam McGeary at Bellator 185.Filed under: Bellator, News read news >>

Injury-Free Pat Curran Aching to Overcome a Broken Couple of Years at Bellator 184 | MMAWeekly.com

On October 6 in Thackerville, Oklahoma, Pat Curran (22-7) takes on John Teixeira (21-2-2) in a main card 145-pound bout at Bellator 184. read news >>

Emmanuel Sanchez Intends to Make a Statement Against Former Champ at Bellator 184 | MMAWeekly.com

Emmanuel Sanchez looks to pick up his third straight win when he takes on former champ Daniel Straus in the Bellator 184 co-main event on Friday. read news >>

Bellator 184's Daniel Straus 'so (expletive) happy' to not fight 'Pitbull,' says 5th fight coming

At Bellator 184, Daniel Straus will stand across the cage from someone other than Patricio Freire for the first time in more than two years.Filed under: Bellator, News read news >>

Fans at Bellator 185 can get a Royce Gracie bobblehead to go next to their Fedor one

Bellator is staying in the bobblehead business this month with another MMA legend.Filed under: Bellator, Blue Corner, Featured Videos, News read news >>