MENU
#UFC Fight Night 117 #UFC Fight Night 52 #Bellator 183 #Claudia Gadelha #Jessica Andrade #Fight Night Pittsburgh #Bellator MMA #Conor McGregor #Ovince St. Preux #Gokhan Saki


constantinos-philippou-8.jpgThe UFC on FX 8 co-main event has taken a big hit.

Middleweight Constantinos Philippou (12-2 MMA, 5-1 UFC) reportedly has suffered a cut and will be forced out of his fight with Ronaldo “Jacare” Souza (17-3 MMA, 0-0 UFC). Philippou and Souza were set to meet in a little more than two weeks in Brazil.

MMAFighting.com reported the injury, though UFC officials have yet to make an announcement. It is not yet known if Souza will remain on the card against a short-notice opponent or if he will be pulled entirely.

UFC on FX 8 takes place May 18 at Arena Jaragua in Jaragua do Sul, Santa Catarina, Brazil. The event’s main-card airs on FX following prelims on FUEL TV and Facebook.

The New York-based Philippou earlier this week told MMAjunkie.com Radio (www.mmajunkie.com/radio) he believes a win over Souza, a former Strikeforce middleweight champion, could put him right in the mix for title contention.

“I think beating Jacare should get me the top three guys in the world,” Philippou said. “But let me beat Jacare first – and that’s not an easy thing to do – then we’ll take it from there.”

That now gets put on hold.

Philippou was going after his fifth straight win, and the fight with Souza was his highest-profile opponent yet. After a unanimous decision loss on short notice in his UFC debut, the Serra-Longo fighter, a teammate of current top middleweight contender Chris Weidman, picked up wins over Jorge Rivera, Jared Hamman, Court McGee and Riki Fukuda.

But it was his third-round TKO of Tim Boetsch, a fight he took filling in for an injured Weidman at UFC 155, that put him squarely in the middleweight contender conversation.

Souza was coming into the fight with Philippou on a three-fight win streak for his UFC debut. After beating Tim Kennedy for the vacant Strikeforce middleweight title in August 2010, he defended the belt with a submission win over Robbie Lawler. But Luke Rockhold then took it from him with a unanimous decision win in September 2011.

After losing the belt, “Jacare” went on a tear, stopping Bristol Marunde with a third-round submission, knocking out out Derek Brunson in just 41 seconds and tapping Ed Herman in the first round at Strikeforce’s final show in January.

If he remains on the card, it will be the Brazilian’s first fight in his home country since 2007.

It is the second high-profile cut to affect the top end of a UFC main card in the past month. At UFC on FUEL TV 9 this past month in Sweden, main-event light heavyweight Alexander Gustafsson had a cut knock him from his fight with Gegard Mousasi just days before the event. Teammate Ilir Latifi filled in for him and dropped a unanimous decision.

UFC on FX 8 features a main event middleweight bout between Vitor Belfort (22-10 MMA, 11-6 UFC) and Rockhold (10-1 MMA, 0-0 UFC). The four-fight main card on FX also is scheduled to include a middleweight bout between Chris Camozzi (19-5 MMA, 6-2 UFC) and Rafael Natal (15-4-1 MMA, 3-2-1 UFC), plus Rafael dos Anjos (18-6 MMA, 7-4 UFC) vs. Evan Dunham (14-3 MMA, 7-3 UFC) at lightweight.

For the latest on UFC on FX 8, stay tuned to the UFC Rumors section of the site.

(Pictured: Constantinos Philippou)

view original article >>
Report here if this news is invalid.

Comments

Show Comments

Related News

Report: 'TUF 23' winner Tatiana Suarez meets Viviane Pereira at UFC Fight Night 120 in Norfolk

  • 27 days ago
  • 9 views

At long last, the Season 23 winner of “The Ultimate Fighter,” Tatiana Suarez, will return to the octagon this fall. Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Report: Aussies Alex Chambers, Nadia Kassem booked for UFC Fight Night 121 in Sydney

  • 26 days ago
  • 4 views

The UFC’s return to the “Land Down Under” has another fight ticketed for the card between a pair of Aussies who used to train together.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

UFC Fight Night Rotterdam: Bleacher Report Main-Card Staff Predictions

  • 25 days ago
  • 6 views

After nearly a month off surrounding the boxing super-fight between Floyd Mayweather and Conor McGregor, the UFC is back with UFC Fight Night 115 in Rotterdam. The trip to the Netherlands, fittingly, read news >>

Edmonton to Report on UFC Fighter Death—After UFC Leaves Edmonton

  • 24 days ago
  • 3 views

Tim Hague died in Edmonton, Alberta, Canada on June 18. He was 34 years old. The cause of death was brain injury sustained during a boxing match in the city two days before. It was the fourth profess read news >>

Edmonton to Report on UFC Fighter Death—After UFC Leaves Edmonton

  • 24 days ago
  • 4 views

Tim Hague died in Edmonton, Alberta, Canada on June 18. He was 34 years old. The cause of death was brain injury sustained during a boxing match in the city two days before. It was the fourth profess read news >>

Report: Fertitta brothers sell remaining UFC stake, signaling end of an era

  • 18 days ago
  • 62 views

Lorenzo and Frank Fertitta, who bought the UFC for $2 million in 2001 before selling it for $4 billion in 2016, have “fully divested” in the MMA promotion. Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Thiago Alves Out of Co-Main Event Fight Against Mike Perry at UFC in Pittsburgh | MMAWeekly.com

  • 13 days ago
  • 8 views

Thiago Alves is out of his fight this Saturday night against Mike Perry in a bout that was scheduled as the co-main event at UFC Fight Night in Pittsburgh. Sources close to the situation confirmed Al read news >>

Watch Amanda Nunes and Valentina Shevchenko's First Bout (UFC 215 Free Fight) | MMAWeekly.com

  • 26 days ago
  • 8 views

Amanda Nunes and Valentina Shevchenko meet for the second time in the co-main event at UFC 215. Watch their first fight from UFC 196. read news >>

Amanda Nunes knows UFC is punishing her with co-main demotion, isn't worried about it

  • 25 days ago
  • 15 views

The women’s bantamweight champion simply plans on going out and defending her title at UFC 215.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>

Report: Fertitta Brothers No Longer Own Any Part of UFC after Selling Remaining Stake | MMAWeekly.com

  • 18 days ago
  • 21 views

Lorenzo and Frank Fertitta are officially out of the mixed martial arts business. The Fertitta brothers, who last year sold off a majority stake in the UFC for more than $4 billion to a conglomerate read news >>