MENU
#Fight Night Stockholm #Alexander Gustafsson #Glover Teixeira #Colosseum #Volkan Oezdemir #Marcin Held #Damir Hadzovic #Conor McGregor #Nordine Taleb #Oliver Enkamp #Jack Hermansson #Alex Nicholson #Reza Madadi #Joaquim Silva #Ben Saunders


vitor-belfort-30-featured.jpg

Once the dust settled from Chris Weidman‘s first defense of the UFC middleweight title – and the shock wore off a little over what happened to Anderson Silva’s leg – the questions started about where his next defense would take place.

The opponent had been known – UFC President Dana White had already said the white-hot Vitor Belfort would be next in line for the Weidman-Silva winner after UFC 168, which took place this past Saturday in Las Vegas.

A Silva win, and a Silva vs. Belfort rematch would make all the sense in the world for their home country of Brazil. But a Weidman win, and maybe there would be some eyebrows being raised over where the fight would take be.

But now it appears that question has been answered, and advantage: champion.

UFC CEO Lorenzo Fertitta on Thursday told ESPN.com that the company’s plan is for Weidman to put his belt on the line against Belfort in the U.S., once again in Las Vegas, either in May or July.

That time frame, Fertitta said, would depend on Weidman. The UFC traditionally does a pay-per-view card on Memorial Day weekend in its Las Vegas homebase, as well as on Independence Day weekend. The Fourth of July-based card also typically has a coinciding UFC Fan Expo as part of “Fight Week.”

Belfort (24-10 MMA, 13-6 UFC) has won three straight fights, all in his home country of Brazil – and all “Knockout of the Night” victories. The three wins came over highly touted opponents, as well, in Michael Bisping, Luke Rockhold and Dan Henderson. And all three were started with kicks to the head. The Bisping and Rockhold wins were at middleweight, while Belfort fought Henderson in a light heayvweight contest – and became the first to knock “Hendo” out in his legendary career.

Central to the controversy surrounding Belfort is his therapeutic-use exemption for testosterone-replacement therapy (TRT). Critics of Belfort’s TRT use have said the UFC only puts him in fights in Brazil because it’s easier for him to pass drug screenings there. (It should be noted that in his most recent fight against Henderson in November, Henderson also was issued a TUE for TRT use prior to the fight.)

Belfort maintains that he is a clean fighter and takes the doctor-prescribed dosages of TRT, and is tested in-camp. He also has said that he would pass tests and would be able to fight under any commission in the United States.

If the fight indeed takes place in Las Vegas, Belfort will have to apply for a TUE from the Nevada State Athletic Commission. The NSAC has approved TUEs for other fighters in the past, including Chael Sonnen for his second title fight against Anderson Silva.

In 2006, for his first fight against Henderson, Belfort dropped a unanimous decision at PRIDE 32, then failed his post-fight drug screening for the bout in Las Vegas when he tested for elevated testosterone levels. That past failed test may be enough for the NSAC to give pause before approving a TUE for Belfort now. The Brazilian will turn 37 in April.

Weidman (11-0 MMA, 7-0 UFC) this past Saturday defended his middleweight title against Silva, the man he took it from in July with a stunning second-round knockout. On Saturday in Las Vegas, Weidman dominated the first round, but in the second, he checked a Silva kick – which led to a gruesome broken leg for the challenger and longtime pound-for-pound king.

Silva now faces a lengthy recovery if he’s to fight again, while Weidman now moves on to his next challenge in Belfort. But now he at least knows he won’t need his passport to put his belt on the line.

For more on the UFC’s upcoming schedule, stay tuned to the UFC Rumors section of the site.

view original article >>
Report here if this news is invalid.

Related News

Report: Once more unto the breach for Vitor Belfort, 'Phenom' gets Nate Marquardt at UFC 212

  • 29 days ago
  • 18 views

At 40, and reportedly on the final fight of his current UFC deal, it appears Vitor Belfort will step into the cage one more time in his native Brazil. Belfort (25-14 MMA, 14-10 UFC) appears to be hea read news >>

Vitor Belfort Reveals UFC Retirement Plan | MMAWeekly.com

  • 28 days ago
  • 17 views

Vitor Belfort has unveiled his UFC retirement plan, putting the wraps on a career that has spanned more than two decades. read news >>

Belfort vs. Marquardt official, 'The Phenom' confirms UFC 212 will be his final octagon appearance

  • 27 days ago
  • 31 views

At 40 years old, Vitor Belfort is preparing to make his 25th and final trip to the UFC’s famed octagon.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Vitor Belfort vs. Nate Marquardt Official for UFC 212 | MMAWeekly.com

  • 27 days ago
  • 4 views

Vitor Belfort's final fight inside the Octagon will be against former Strikeforce champion Nate Marquardt at UFC 212. read news >>

Georges St-Pierre hints UFC comeback fight with Michael Bisping could take place in New York

  • 26 days ago
  • 6 views

Could Georges St-Pierre’s long-awaited UFC comeback take place at Madison Square Garden in New York City? The former longtime UFC champ hinted on Tuesday that may be the case.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Video: Watch today's UFC 211 ceremonial weigh-ins live on MMAjunkie at 7 p.m. ET

  • 17 days ago
  • 9 views

DALLAS – UFC 211 ceremonial fighter weigh-ins take place today, and you can catch a live video stream of the proceedings here on MMAjunkie at 7 p.m. ET (4 p.m. PT).Filed under: News, UFC, Videos read news >>

Opening odds: Ex-champ Chris Weidman favored over Kelvin Gastelum at UFC on FOX 25

  • 12 days ago
  • 9 views

Former middleweight champion Chris Weidman has three straight losses, and two of them are in his home state of New York. Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Kelvin Gastelum Responds After UFC Suspension, Vitor Belfort Win Overturned

  • 21 days ago
  • 60 views

UFC star Kelvin Gastelum has vowed never to fight in Brazil again in response to a 90-day ban handed out by the Brazilian MMA Sports Court after a positive drugs test for marijuana. Gastelum did acce read news >>

Long Island's own Chris Weidman set for UFC on FOX 25 vs. Kelvin Gastelum in July

  • 16 days ago
  • 3 views

Chris Weidman’s admirable commitment to only fighting the best competition available will continue at UFC on FOX 25 in July.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Chris Weidman Faces Kelvin Gastelum on Long Island | MMAWeekly.com

  • 16 days ago
  • 4 views

Former middleweight champ Chris Weidman takes on Kelvin Gastelum in the UFC on FOX 25 main event in New York. read news >>