#UFC Fight Night 117 #UFC Fight Night 52 #Jessica Andrade #Bellator 183 #Claudia Gadelha #Ovince St. Preux #Gokhan Saki #Paul Daley #Fight Night Pittsburgh #Yushin Okami #Lorenz Larkin #Roy Nelson

renzo-gracie-3.jpgWorking out with Frankie Edgar and Roger Gracie has Renzo Gracie thinking about a return to the cage.

Whether it’s in the UFC or somewhere else remains to be seen, but the MMA forefather said he could be fighting in the next five months.

“I’ve been training with these guys, and they’re as tough as you can get,” Gracie (13-7 MMA, 0-1 UFC) told MMAjunkie.com Radio (www.mmajunkie.com/radio). “I’ve been hanging around with them and having fun, so for sure I’ll be ready [by] the end of the year to have some fun too.”

Of course, the jiu-jitsu master, who’s been a threat to any mere hoodlum looking for trouble on the streets, would rather have his fun in the octagon. That’s where he last strapped on gloves and fought, and while his UFC 112 bout with UFC Hall of Famer Matt Hughes didn’t go his way – and wasn’t exactly must-see TV – he remains under contract with the promotion.

It’s now just a matter of convincing Zuffa executives to let him fight, or let him go.

“The UFC, they became a machine,” Gracie said. “So if you’re name is not out there and you’re not fighting, it’s difficult to keep yourself (busy).

“So it’s like if I don’t fight there, I don’t mind. I’ll be fighting for ONE; I’ll be fighting a Japanese organization. This for me is fun, and thank god I don’t need the money to do it.”

Gracie, who trains several UFC vets at his popular academy in New York City, said he’s sharpened his skills working alongside peers as they prepare for octagon bouts. Now he wants to put them into practice.

“I’ve begun getting in shape, and I don’t believe I’ll have a problem to find a place to fight,” he said. “I do it because I like it, and I do believe it improves you and makes you better. It keeps you sharp and brings you a knowledge that you can pass ahead to the people you train.”

Prior to UFC 112, Gracie hadn’t fought in three years. His appearance in the 2007 debut of EliteXC ended in controversy, as opponent Frank Shamrock was disqualified for throwing an illegal knee. He faired better in a pair of appearances with the now-defunct IFL, winning bouts against fellow MMA legends Pat Miletich and Carlos Newton.

Asked whom he’d like to fight in a return, Gracie said, “I would rather fight someone tough. Don’t bring me no wimp. Don’t insult me – bring me someone there that can beat me up.”

MMAjunkie.com Radio broadcasts Monday-Friday at noon ET (9 a.m. PT) live from Mandalay Bay Resort & Casino’s Race & Sports Book. The show is hosted by “Gorgeous” George Garcia, MMAjunkie.com lead staff reporter John Morgan and producer Brian “Goze” Garcia. For more information or to download past episodes, go to www.mmajunkie.com/radio.

Galleries

Frankie Edgar Fights

• a year ago

Comments

'UFC on the Fly': behind the scenes with hard-working Leon Edwards before UFC Rotterdam

Go behind the scenes with England’s Leon Edwards ahead of his UFC Fight Night 115 fight in Rotterdam against Bryan Barberena.Filed under: Blue Corner, Featured Videos, News, UFC, Videos read news >>

UFC Unfiltered Episode: Rickson Gracie, Renzo Gracie, and Amanda Nunes

Two members of the legendary Gracie family join the show as Renzo Gracie sits in with Jim and Matt. Plus, Amanda Nunes calls in to talk about her UFC 215 fight against Valentina Shevchenko and why sh read news >>

UFC 'incredibly disappointed' by technical difficulties, Dana White reassures fans

The UFC is now working to find out why so many of its fans couldn't watch "The Money Fight" and has issued a statement. read news >>

UFC, NeuLion mum on potential refunds for fans unable to stream Mayweather-McGregor fight

The UFC and its streaming partner haven’t addressed if they’ll compensate those who couldn’t stream Mayweather-McGregor due to tech issues.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

UFC featherweight Yair Rodriguez explains potential move to Team Alpha Male

After dealing with a tough loss to former lightweight champion Frankie Edgar, Yair Rodriguez is making some big changes in his training and life.Filed under: News, UFC, Videos read news >>

Jesse Taylor out of UFC Fight Night 121 due to potential USADA violation

A potential U.S. Anti-Doping Agency (USADA) violation has forced Jesse Taylor out of this fall’s UFC Fight Night 121 event.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Jesse Taylor Popped for Potential UFC Anti-Doping Violation | MMAWeekly.com

Jesse Taylor made a miraculous turnaround in his career only to have it shrouded in doubt after he was flagged for a potential UFC anti-doping violation. read news >>

Urijah Faber defends 'gentleman' and fellow DWCS commentator Snoop Dogg

After working with Snoop Dogg on Dana White’s Contender Series, retired UFC vet Urijah Faber has nothing but nice things to say about the rapper: “The way he treated me and other people was pretty gr read news >>

Carlos Felipe flagged for potential USADA violation, pulled from UFC debut in Sao Paulo

Carlos Felipe was slated to make his UFC debut next month, but that’s not happening anymore.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

UFC Fight Night 116 pre-event facts: Which headliner is least-hit fighter in UFC history?

The facts, figures and potential milestones on the line at UFC Fight Night 116, featuring a Luke Rockhold vs. David Branch main event.Filed under: News, UFC, Videos read news >>