#UFC Fight Night 117 #UFC Fight Night 52 #Bellator 183 #Claudia Gadelha #Jessica Andrade #Conor McGregor #Fight Night Pittsburgh #Bellator MMA #Ovince St. Preux #Gokhan Saki

Newly crowned UFC interim bantamweight champion Renan Barao sat down with Sherdog.com this week to discuss his win over Urijah Faber at UFC 149, the emotion he showed after his victory, and what he plans to do now that he’s a UFC champ.

Sherdog.com: Did you hurt your foot? How is it?
Renan Barao: It’s OK. It was only a dislocation. Thank God, it’s all in one piece.

Sherdog.com: What’s your take on the fight? Did it go as planned?
Barao: Well, the strategy was to stay in the middle distance, kicking, and Dede Pederneiras asked me to shoot more. I stopped kicking because of my foot, but thank God, I was able to keep using my boxing strategy and everything worked out.

Sherdog.com: The takedown defense was also perfect.
Barao: We did a good job training takedown defense with my colleagues here at Nova Uniao.

Sherdog.com: What was going through your head when you were jumping around the Octagon, even before the decision was announced?
Barao: Happiness. I remember when I finished the first round, Dede said that I won. I finished the second round and he said I won. The third and fourth rounds, too. He was saying that everything was right. That last round, I knew I had to just keep fighting. Thank God, I was able to do that, and I knew that I had won, so it was that happiness. It wasn’t to disparage Faber, it was a thing of my own, because we’ve been working on this for years. It was a dream come true and that was happiness.

Sherdog.com: Did you manage to sleep that night after the fight?
Barao: Wow, man, I almost didn’t sleep well. I was up the next day to travel, but that’s it. It was a dream come true.

Sherdog.com: Did you sleep next to the belt?
Barao: I slept on the side. I didn’t drop it at all. I want him to stay here a few more years.

Sherdog.com: Were you surprised to hear that Faber had a fractured rib?
Barao: Yeah, I didn’t know that he was hurt, I found out later. Creepy, huh? In fact, we want to win the fight, but we don’t want to hurt the opponent or anything. But, it happened, unfortunately.

Sherdog.com: When are you returning to your city?
Barao: I’m going back Monday to Natal to see my family and friends. I’ve really missed them because I was here in Rio de Janeiro for three months, training for this fight. I’m dying to see my son and spend a few days relaxing.

Sherdog.com: Your next opponent: Dominick Cruz or Michael McDonald?
Barao: I’ll rest, but then I’ll come back to train, help my comrades and wait for the next fight. They’re two tough guys. I’ll be trained and go out to show my best.

Sherdog.com: Do you have a final message?
Barao: First, I want to thank God and all the guys who accompanied me, not only in Brazil, but also worldwide. I’d like to send a kiss to Bairro das Quintas, to Natal, for everyone who supports me. Thanks to everyone who sent me positive energy. I’ll always look for the knockout or submission to thank you. Thank you very much.

Galleries

Renan Barao Fights

• a year ago

Comments

Tickets on sale this week for UFC 216 in Las Vegas, and here's the latest card

Tickets go on sale this week for UFC 216 in Las Vegas with an interim lightweight title on the line between Tony Ferguson and Kevin Lee.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

'Smiling Tony' is enjoying training for Lee

“The theme for this camp is ‘Smile Tony,’” laughs the man challenging for the interim UFC lightweight title at T-Mobile Arena on Oct. 7. “Because when I smile in my fights, you have the fights like E read news >>

'UFC 215 Embedded,' No. 2: Demetrious Johnson breaks down how to 'f*ck sh*t up'

Go behind the scenes of fight week with all four title fight competitors of UFC 215.Filed under: News, UFC, Videos read news >>

Will Yana Kunitskaya Chase Tonya Evinger to the UFC? | MMAWeekly.com

Newly crowned Invicta FC bantamweight champion Yana Kunitskaya won the previously vacant title on Aug. 31 by defeating Raquel Pa'aluhi. read news >>

Did Tony Ferguson vs. Kevin Lee's UFC Interim Title Fight Just Lose 10 Pounds? | MMAWeekly.com

A fight between Tony Ferguson and Kevin Lee has been booked for UFC 216. The bout is supposed to crown an interim UFC lightweight champion. According to a Las Vegas billboard, however, it appears the read news >>

UFC 216 lineup set with interim lightweight title headliner in Las Vegas

The lineup is set for the UFC’s return to its Las Vegas home base next month with an interim title at the top of the bill.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Refusing to pile on Jon Jones, Daniel Cormier urges fans to lay off criticism for failed drug test

Newly minted UFC light heavyweight champion Daniel Cormier thanked fans for their support and urged them not to beat up on Jon Jones for his failed drug test.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>

Daniel Cormier Pleads with Fans to Lay Off of Jon Jones | MMAWeekly.com

Newly reinstated UFC light heavyweight champion Daniel Cormier couldn't be more grateful to his supporters, but he'd appreciate it if fans would lay off of Jon Jones. Cormier has been riding a roller read news >>

Here's the official poster for UFC 216, featuring Tony Ferguson looming over Kevin Lee

Check out the official poster for UFC 216, featuring an interim lightweight title affair and a heavyweight co-headliner.Filed under: Blue Corner, Featured Videos, News, UFC read news >>

Carlos Condit Ready to Book His Return Fight to the UFC | MMAWeekly.com

Carlos Condit is looking for a fight. The former UFC interim welterweight champion, who has been out of action since August 2016, dropped a message on Twitter to matchmaker Sean Shelby letting him kn read news >>