#UFC 217 #UFC Fight Night 120 #GSP #Michael Bisping #Conor McGregor #TJ Dillashaw #Dustin Poirier #Anthony Pettis #Fight One #Cody Garbrandt #Colby Covington

jessica-aguilar-2.jpgAfter 10 months off, Jessica Aguilar really didn’t care what the name was at the other end of the call. She was just glad she had a fight.

Aguilar (14-4 MMA, 4-1 BFC) on Thursday meets Patricia Vidonic (7-4 MMA, 0-1 BFC) at Bellator 94, which takes place at USF Sun Dome in Tampa. The evening’s main card airs on Spike TV at 10 p.m. ET following prelims, including Aguilar-Vidonic, on Spike.com (8 p.m. ET).

That the fight is a rematch of a fight won by Aguilar a little more than a year ago, also in Florida, didn’t matter much, either.

“We’re scrapping again, and I love that she took the fight,” Aguilar told MMAjunkie.com Radio (www.mmajunkie.com/radio). “I’m excited to get back in there. I needed a fight, and we made the fight happen. She probably wanted the rematch, and she got it.”

Aguilar’s most recent outing was in May 2012, when she planted herself firmly on the mainstream MMA map with an upset Megumi Fujii, who was better than a 2-to-1 favorite at Bellator 69.

That main event win for the 115-pounder came just a month after her unanimous decision win over Vidonic under the Fight Time Promotions banner, not far from her home training ground at American Top Team in South Florida.

But even though she doesn’t have anything to prove with another fight against Vidonic, given that the first fight wasn’t exactly controversial or particularly close, the time off was starting to weigh on her.

“After 10 months, when they say a fight is secured, I’m not complaining,” she said. “It helps you focus and train. So I’m excited about the fight. I wish I was busier.”

With the recent surge of women’s MMA, thanks largely to the push from Ronda Rousey in the UFC, Aguilar may find herself in the right place at the right time if it’s keeping busy she’s looking for. The increase in interest may wind up leading to more fights for the Bellator vet, who is seeking her fifth straight victory.

She hasn’t lost since Bellator’s Season 3 women’s 115-pound tournament semifinal, a split-decision loss to eventual champ Zoila Frausto Gurgel. And maybe one day getting her hands around a major belt of her own is in the cards.

But the Mexico-born Aguilar, who turns 31 in May, said even a rise to prominence and popularity and fame and fortune of Rousey-an proportions won’t change her much.

“I’m never going to change,” she said. “I don’t care if they pay me a million dollars. I’ll always be who I am. I’m not a superstar. I’m just a regular person like anyone else. I’m just fortunate enough to have this platform and get this message out there whenever possible. I’m going to be helping a lot of people (if I get famous). My lifestyle would change, but everything else would be the same.

“I just want to stay busy and work and do what I love to do.”

And right now, that’s fight – hopefully, she believes, with more frequency from here on out.

For the latest on Bellator 94, stay tuned to the MMA Events section of the site.

MMAjunkie.com Radio broadcasts Monday-Friday at noon ET (9 a.m. PT) live from Mandalay Bay Resort & Casino’s Race & Sports Book. The show is hosted by “Gorgeous” George Garcia, MMAjunkie.com lead staff reporter John Morgan and producer Brian “Goze” Garcia. For more information or to download past episodes, go to www.mmajunkie.com/radio.

Comments

Bellator heavyweight title tourney: Fedor, Mir, 'Rampage,' Sonnen among big names booked

The Bellator MMA World Grand Prix 2018 is a blockbuster tournament featuring a bevy of MMA stars, including Fedor Emelianenko, Chael Sonnen and “Rampage” Jackson.Filed under: Bellator, Featured, News read news >>

Bellator to Crown Heavyweight Champion with Grand Prix Tournament in 2018 | MMAWeekly.com

Bellator will finally crown a new heavyweight champion next year read news >>

Watch MMAjunkie Radio here (1 p.m. ET) with UFC-Norfolk breakdown, Bellator tourney discussion

MMAjunkie Radio kicks off today at 1 p.m. ET (10 a.m. PT) as we preview Saturday’s UFC Fight Night 120 event and discuss the newly announced Bellator MMA World Grand Prix 2018.Filed under: Bellator, read news >>

Twitter reacts to announcement of star-studded Bellator MMA World Grand Prix 2018

Check out the top Twitter reactions to today’s announcement of the Bellator MMA Heavyweight Grand Prix 2018.Filed under: Bellator, Blue Corner, Featured Videos, News read news >>

Conor McGregor jumps cage at Bellator 187, confronts referee Marc Goddard

UFC lightweight champion Conor McGregor made quite the scene at today’s Bellator 187 event in his native Dublin.Filed under: Bellator, Blue Corner, Featured Videos, News, UFC read news >>

Conor McGregor Goes After Referee Marc Goddard in Melee Following Fight in Bellator | MMAWeekly.com

Conor McGregor was engaged in an altercation with referee Marc Goddard on Friday read news >>

Conor McGregor Slaps Official Trying to Push Him off the Cage at Bellator 187 (VIDEO) | MMAWeekly.com

Conor McGregor has become the central focus of the events unfolding at Bellator 187 on Friday and he obviously wasn't even fighting on the card. Following a fight where McGregor's teammate Charlie Wa read news >>

Bellator Uses Conor McGregor Storming the Cage to Promote Tape-Delayed Dublin Card | MMAWeekly.com

Not letting the moment slide by, Bellator jumped on the opportunity to use Conor McGregor's mind boggling lapse in judgement to promote its event. read news >>

Twitter reacts to UFC champ Conor McGregor's chaotic cage-jumping incident at Bellator 187

The MMA world was quick to cast judgement on Conor McGregor after he jumped the cage and shoved a referee at Bellator 187 in Dublin.Filed under: Bellator, Blue Corner, Featured Videos, News, UFC read news >>

Fighters React to Conor McGregor Pushing Referee, Slapping Official | MMAWeekly.com

Conor McGregor climbed over the cage at Bellator 187, shoved a referee, and slapped a commission official... and lit up Twitter. read news >>