#UFC London #Fabricio Werdum #Alexander Volkov #Jan Blachowicz #Jimi Manuwa #Khabib Nurmagomedov #UFC 223 #Conor McGregor #Rose Namajunas #Tony Ferguson #Joanna Jedrzejczyk

Reinvented Gilbert Melendez seeks 'historic fight' with Jeremy Stephens at UFC 215

EDMONTON – Wins and losses be damned: Gilbert Melendez is going to stick to his roots and try to add another “Fight of the Night” or “Fight of the Year” to his resume when he takes on Jeremy Stephens at UFC 215.

The former Strikeforce champion Melendez (22-6 MMA, 1-4 UFC), who meets Stephens (25-14 MMA, 12-13 UFC) in Saturday’s pay-per-view main card opener at Rogers Place in Edmonton, Alberta, Canada, enters the event on a three-fight losing skid and winless over a nearly four-year period.

Melendez is in the midst of the kind of drought that would force some fighters to adjust their style and step in the octagon with a more win-centric approach. He said that’s not going to be the case when he faces another brawler like Stephens.

“I want a historic fight,” Melendez told MMAjunkie at today’s UFC 215 media day. “I want to go down in this sport as a warrior, as a legend. I want people to look back at my fights. I was looking down my Facebook feed the other day, and there’s this highlight video of (my fight with) Diego (Sanchez at UFC 166), and it has like 48 million views. It doesn’t matter about records, Diego’s record, there’s 48 million views on that frickin’ video, because we’re warriors and we put it out there. I’m looking to do that.

“In my opinion and to my community and all the people I roll with, I think that’s more respectable than any sort of championship, is going down in history as a warrior. It’s an opportunity for me to have another epic fight with another warrior out there.”

Although Melendez enters the contest with a similar mentality as he’s carried into the octagon previously, there will be one major difference when he fights at UFC 215, and that’s the scheduled division. Melendez will drop to featherweight for the first time since August 2005 in hopes of finding renewed success in the cage.

“I’m looking to reinvent myself and start fresh,” Melendez said. “I’m feeling OK. It’s manageable. It’s been tough. I’ve been trying to sustain it. One big heavy meal and boom, I can shoot my weight up. But I can sustain it the last few days. I like what I woke up this morning at, and I think I’m going to get there no problem. I can’t wait to rehydrate up and get a lot of food in me and feel fully charged.”

Despite his current skid, Melendez said he’s not putting a particularly significant amount of pressure on himself to win. The current state of his career would be entirely different if a few narrow decision results went his way, and he hasn’t forgotten about that.

Melendez said he still has the desire to compete in the sport and doesn’t feel that will change any time soon.

“I feel like the 1-4 (UFC record) doesn’t really represent it, what I’ve really done,” Melendez said. “It’s a bummer, and I could go off on how I feel like I beat Benson (Henderson) and how I beat Eddie (Alvarez) and all that, and I could easily be 3-2 in the UFC. It is what it is. … I’m satisfied with what I’ve done, and I’m still doing what I love. I’m challenging myself, I’m cashing in a paycheck making money for my family. And though I’ve lost, I haven’t gotten dominated, I believe. I don’t feel like I’ve been knocked out. I don’t feel like I’ve taken a lot of damage. And I feel like I can still do this, and that’s why I’m here.”

Melendez might still feel present at the top of the sport, but he’s also aware suffering a fourth consecutive loss would enter him into dangerous territory. He reiterated that he’s not going to alter his approach to the fight game, but he hopes fighting to his true self will result in victory against Stephens.

“If I want to keep fighting I can keep fighting just because I did some stuff on paper that allows me to do whatever the hell I want,” Melendez said. “I don’t enjoy losing. It’s been close, and I feel like I’ve had some bad things. I don’t enjoy losing. I’m looking to go out here and win. I’m not really thinking about the future, but definitely if things don’t go my way I’m going to assess things a little bit more.”

For more on UFC 215, check out the UFC Rumors section of the site.

Jeremy Stephens Fights

• 2 months ago

Who ya got?! Fighters predict Josh Emmett vs. Jeremy Stephens at UFC on FOX 28

Who wins the UFC on FOX 28 headliner between Jeremy Stephens and Josh Emmett? Fellow fighters gave us their picks. read news >>

Twitter reacts to Jeremy Stephens' brutal (and controversial) knockout win at UFC on FOX 28

See the top Twitter reactions to Jeremy Stephens’ controversial win over Josh Emmett in the UFC-Orlando headliner. read news >>

Fighters React to Jeremy Stephens' Finish of Josh Emmett at UFC on FOX 28 | MMAWeekly.com

Jeremy Stephens rebounded from being dropped by Josh Emmett to win by KO in the second round of the UFC on FOX 28 main event on Saturday in Orlando, Fla. Following the event fighters reacted to the f read news >>

Jeremy Stephens defends knee at UFC on FOX 28, says nothing dirty about it

Jeremy Stephens said the controversial knee he threw at Josh Emmett in the UFC on FOX 28 main event wasn’t illegal at all. read news >>

Jeremy Stephens Explains Controversial Strikes During Fight with Josh Emmett at UFC on FOX 28 | MMAWeekly.com

Jeremy Stephens didn't get to celebrate his knockout win over Josh Emmett for long before hearing cries about some controversial strikes that were landed just before he earned the highlight reel fini read news >>

UFC on FOX 28 Athlete Outfitting pay: Jeremy Stephens paces pack in 28th UFC bout

Fighters at UFC on FOX 28 took home UFC Athlete Outfitting pay, a program that launched after the UFC’s deal with Reebok, totaling $175,500. read news >>

Daniel Cormier, Dominick Cruz Get Into Heated Debate Over Controversial Strikes at UFC on FOX 28 | MMAWeekly.com

Did Jeremy Stephens strike Josh Emmett with an illegal knee? @dc_mma @dominickcruz and @bisping intensely debate the details of the main event! #UFCOrlando — FOX Sports: UFC (@UFCONFOX) February 25, read news >>

Full fight video: Ronda Rousey vs. Liz Carmouche at UFC 157

Relive the historic first UFC women’s fight between Ronda Rousey and Liz Carmouche at UFC 157. read news >>

Jeremy Stephens Flattens Marcus Davis: UFC Orlando Free Fight | MMAWeekly.com

Jeremy Stephens flattened Marcus Davis at UFC 125. Don't miss Jeremy Stephens face Josh Emmett on Saturday night at Fight Night Orlando live on FOX. read news >>

Josh Emmett and Jeremy Stephens Ready to Go, but One Fighter Misses Weight at UFC on FOX 28 Weigh-ins

The Ultimate Fighting Championship returns to Orlando, Fla., this week for UFC on FOX 28. The fight card is official following Friday morning's weigh-in. read news >>

Andre Soukhamthath: I'm going to make Sean O'Malley my little brother at UFC 222

Andre Soukhamthath is not a trash-talker, but he’s heard what Sean O’Malley is saying ahead of UFC 222, and he’s not exactly happy about it. read news >>

Jeremy Stephens Cashes In With Biggest Payday at UFC on FOX 28 in Orlando | MMAWeekly.com

Jeremy Stephens earned a vicious knockout and the biggest paycheck at UFC on FOX 28 from Orlando, Fla. this past weekend. Stephens finished Josh Emmett — albeit under somewhat controversial circumsta read news >>

Andrei Arlovski, with chance at heavyweight wins record, draws Tai Tuivasa at UFC 225

A heavyweight bout between former UFC champion Andrei Arlovski and unbeaten prospect Tai Tuivasa is the latest addition to UFC 225’s lineup. read news >>

Khabib Nurmagomedov Not Impressed With the Competition at Lightweight in the UFC | MMAWeekly.com

Khabib Nurmagomedov doesn't seem all that impressed by the competition in the lightweight division, at least judging by his comments when asked about the top fighters in the world at 155 pounds. Whil read news >>

Mike Jackson Says He'd Knock Out CM Punk at UFC 225 in TMZ Interview

Make no mistake about it: Mike "The Truth" Jackson wants CM Punk. Jackson sat down with TMZ and discussed a potential UFC 225 bout. Although no fight is officially on the calendar, he's already sendi read news >>

Leon Edwards planning to finish Sobotta on Saturday, meet top-10 opponent at UFC 226

Leon Edwards has found success on familiar European grounds, but he’s hoping an emphatic win over Peter Sobotta takes him to Las Vegas next. read news >>

Search for: