#UFC Fight Night 83 #Luke Rockhold #Saturday Night Fights #Conor McGregor #David Branch #GGG #DWTNCS #Nate Diaz #UFC 215 #Michael Bisping

mark-hunt-10.jpgLAS VEGAS – It’s always a long trip for Mark Hunt when he heads to the States from Australia. But this one must’ve seemed even longer.

Hunt (9-7 MMA, 4-1 UFC) was mired in a bit of a no-man’s land for a while, stuck in Australia when the visa he needed to come to U.S. for his scheduled Saturday fight with Junior dos Santos (15-2 MMA, 9-1 UFC) at UFC 160 wasn’t getting approved.

With that hurdle cleared earlier this week, and Hunt now in Las Vegas for the co-main event at MGM Grand Garden Arena, he said he’s feeling better than he imagined he would be – especially after the helpless feeling he had while waiting to hear if he’d be fighting or still stuck at home.

“Sometimes, I felt a bit down and at a loss,” Hunt told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) on Thursday. “But I just had to keep training because I knew I was going to get here at the end. For me, it was a matter of how much time I’d have to get used to this time (change). What are you going to say? There was nothing I could do about it – I was just in limbo, waiting. So I’d go home and I can’t do anything about it. You’re talking about the U.S. government.”

Hunt is no stranger to a certain feeling of helplessness. But last time, he fought back against it.

When the UFC owed him fights from his former PRIDE contract, the heavyweight was asked if he’d just take the money and not worry about fighting.

But Hunt wanted to fight – he didn’t care who thought he might not be up to the UFC’s level. And on his current four-fight win streak of upsets, he’s proven he was right.

“Look, man – it’s hard to be told you’re not wanted,” Hunt said. “As a kid, a lot happened to me and the same thing – no one wants to be told they’re not good enough. ‘What do you mean, I’m not good enough? Don’t tell me I’m not good enough.’ That just burns more fire in my tank to get to where I want to be. I’m sure a lot of people have been to a job interview and been declined or told, ‘We’ll call you.’ That’s how I felt.”

After a submission loss in his UFC debut against Sean McCorkle that left him at 5-7 in MMA, Hunt knocked out Chris Tuchscerer, outpointed Ben Rothwell, then scored his most impressive wins yet – knockouts of Cheick Kongo and Stefan Struve.

When Alistair Overeem couldn’t fight dos Santos thanks to an injury, Hunt got the call after a little back-and-forth before things finally were settled.

And he knows that without question, it won’t get any bigger than this. A win over JDS very well could lead to a title shot for him against the winner of Saturday’s main event between champ Cain Velasquez and Antonio Silva.

“This is the biggest fight for me, but it’s just another fight at the end of the day,” Hunt said. “Of course, this is the moment for me. And of course, we talk about acclimatizing. But I’m not going to use it as an excuse if I lose. I’m not going to use any excuse. I’m not that kind of fighter or person.”

Hunt knows one thing for sure – if he wins on Saturday, there’s no reason he shouldn’t be next in line for the title.

“I feel if I beat JDS this weekend, I should get the shot,” Hunt said. “But whatever happens, happens. … I’m always the underdog for every fight, and I probably always will be.”

For the latest on UFC 160, stay tuned to the UFC Rumors section of the site.

Galleries

Mark Hunt Fights

• a year ago

Comments

Mark Hunt Calls Jon Jones a 'Cheating Ass Loser' After Failed Drug Test

UFC heavyweight Mark Hunt blasted Jon Jones on Tuesday after UFC president Dana White announced that Jones failed a drug test prior to his UFC 214 fight against Daniel Cormier. According to TMZ Sport read news >>

UFC champ Amanda Nunes thinks she won 4 of 5 rounds, plans to take off rest of 2017

UFC women’s bantamweight champ Amanda Nunes has no doubt she dominated Valentina Shevchenko, winning four of five rounds in their rematch at UFC 215.Filed under: News, UFC, Videos read news >>

UFC Veteran Mark Hunt Discusses Slurred Speech, Memory Loss

Mark Hunt is almost 20 years deep into his combat sports career and, unfortunately, it's starting to catch up with him. The Super Samoan discussed his physical and mental situation in a piece for Pla read news >>

Luke Rockhold: 'It's Time for Me to Belittle David Branch' | MMAWeekly.com

Former UFC middleweight champion Luke Rockhold made it clear, he thinks David Branch thinks too much of himself. So it's up to him him to shut Branch down. read news >>

Why did UFC-Pittsburgh winner Olivier Aubin-Mercier ask for Charles Oliveira? Well, 'why not?'

Olivier Aubin-Mercier thinks getting a “little bit cocky” in the third round may have made his UFC Fight Night 116 encounter with Tony Martin harder than it needed to be.Filed under: News, UFC, Video read news >>

Why UFC-Pittsburgh's Anthony Smith views Hector Lombard fight as 'no-win situation'

Anthony Smith thinks Hector Lombard is the most recognizable name he’s ever faced, but it’s still not the fight he wanted: “His reputation is far greater than he is right now.”Filed under: News, UFC, read news >>

Joe Rogan Thinks Conor McGregor Will Return to Boxing | MMAWeekly.com

UFC broadcaster Joe Rogan thinks that Conor McGregor might not be done with his ventures in boxing. read news >>

The fascinating things I've learned about fishing from following Gregor Gillespie on Instagram

Undefeated UFC lightweight Gregor Gillespie prides himself on being the “best fisherman in MMA.” A study of his Instagram reveals his passion for the angling life.Filed under: Blue Corner, Featured V read news >>

UFC vet John Howard headlines CES MMA 46 vs. Roger Carroll in Rhode Island

Former CES MMA middleweight champion John Howard, a 14-fight UFC veteran, is returning to the promotion to take on Roger Carroll in October.Filed under: AXS TV Fights, News read news >>

Max Holloway Met with UFC, Confident He Will Fight Again in 2017 | MMAWeekly.com

Following his TKO win over Jose Aldo in June, featherweight champion Max Holloway planned on meeting with the UFC to engage in negotiations for a new contract that would treat him as one of the compa read news >>