mark-hunt-10.jpgLAS VEGAS – It’s always a long trip for Mark Hunt when he heads to the States from Australia. But this one must’ve seemed even longer.

Hunt (9-7 MMA, 4-1 UFC) was mired in a bit of a no-man’s land for a while, stuck in Australia when the visa he needed to come to U.S. for his scheduled Saturday fight with Junior dos Santos (15-2 MMA, 9-1 UFC) at UFC 160 wasn’t getting approved.

With that hurdle cleared earlier this week, and Hunt now in Las Vegas for the co-main event at MGM Grand Garden Arena, he said he’s feeling better than he imagined he would be – especially after the helpless feeling he had while waiting to hear if he’d be fighting or still stuck at home.

“Sometimes, I felt a bit down and at a loss,” Hunt told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) on Thursday. “But I just had to keep training because I knew I was going to get here at the end. For me, it was a matter of how much time I’d have to get used to this time (change). What are you going to say? There was nothing I could do about it – I was just in limbo, waiting. So I’d go home and I can’t do anything about it. You’re talking about the U.S. government.”

Hunt is no stranger to a certain feeling of helplessness. But last time, he fought back against it.

When the UFC owed him fights from his former PRIDE contract, the heavyweight was asked if he’d just take the money and not worry about fighting.

But Hunt wanted to fight – he didn’t care who thought he might not be up to the UFC’s level. And on his current four-fight win streak of upsets, he’s proven he was right.

“Look, man – it’s hard to be told you’re not wanted,” Hunt said. “As a kid, a lot happened to me and the same thing – no one wants to be told they’re not good enough. ‘What do you mean, I’m not good enough? Don’t tell me I’m not good enough.’ That just burns more fire in my tank to get to where I want to be. I’m sure a lot of people have been to a job interview and been declined or told, ‘We’ll call you.’ That’s how I felt.”

After a submission loss in his UFC debut against Sean McCorkle that left him at 5-7 in MMA, Hunt knocked out Chris Tuchscerer, outpointed Ben Rothwell, then scored his most impressive wins yet – knockouts of Cheick Kongo and Stefan Struve.

When Alistair Overeem couldn’t fight dos Santos thanks to an injury, Hunt got the call after a little back-and-forth before things finally were settled.

And he knows that without question, it won’t get any bigger than this. A win over JDS very well could lead to a title shot for him against the winner of Saturday’s main event between champ Cain Velasquez and Antonio Silva.

“This is the biggest fight for me, but it’s just another fight at the end of the day,” Hunt said. “Of course, this is the moment for me. And of course, we talk about acclimatizing. But I’m not going to use it as an excuse if I lose. I’m not going to use any excuse. I’m not that kind of fighter or person.”

Hunt knows one thing for sure – if he wins on Saturday, there’s no reason he shouldn’t be next in line for the title.

“I feel if I beat JDS this weekend, I should get the shot,” Hunt said. “But whatever happens, happens. … I’m always the underdog for every fight, and I probably always will be.”

For the latest on UFC 160, stay tuned to the UFC Rumors section of the site.

Khabib Nurmagomedov says the UFC needs to plan for Conor McGregor

BROOKLYN, N.Y. – Khabib Nurmagomedov thinks the UFC should “humble” Conor McGregor for wanting to box Floyd Mayweather.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>

Sara McMann would fight again before UFC title shot but thinks she's already earned it

HALIFAX – After making quick work of Gina Mazany at Sunday's UFC Fight Night 105, onetime title challenger Sara McMann explained why she believes she's earned a second stab at the women's 135-pound b read news >>

Surging UFC heavyweight Derrick Lewis explains why he wants hard-hitting Mark Hunt next

For the next three months, Derrick Lewis is treating the UFC like his “side chick.” But when he starts taking phone calls from the promotion, he hopes to hear Mark Hunt will be his next opponent. Fil read news >>

Kevin Lee thinks he's doing UFC a favor against Trinaldo: 'I don't think they want him in that top 5'

• 9 hours ago

Lightweight prospect Kevin Lee takes on Francisco Trinaldo at UFC Fight Night 106 next month and looks to end his opponent’s seven-fight winning streak – while adding a fourth win to his own.Filed un read news >>

Watch Tyron Woodley Demolish Josh Koscheck (UFC 209 Free Fight) | MMAWeekly.com

• 8 hours ago

Tyron Woodley earned his second UFC victory by knockout when he defeated Josh Koscheck at UFC 167. Woodley defends his belt at UFC 209. read news >>

Video: Before UFC 209 title fight, watch Khabib Nurmagomedov pick up 24th straight win

• 8 hours ago

Next weekend Khabib Nurmagomedov goes for his 25th straight win and a UFC interim title. Check out the performance that earned him win No. 24.Filed under: News, UFC, Videos read news >>

Watch Khabib Nurmagomedov Dominate Michael Johnson (UFC 209 Free Fight) | MMAWeekly.com

• 8 hours ago

Watch Khabib Nurmagomedov's dominant win over Michael Johnson at UFC 205. The win earned him a shot at the interim lightweight title against Tony Ferguson. read news >>

Dana White Comments on Mayweather-McGregor Talks, UFC Star's Next Fight

• 7 hours ago

In an interview with TMZ Sports on Friday, UFC President Dana White revealed that little progress has been made regarding a potential fight between Conor McGregor and Floyd Mayweather Jr. As seen in read news >>

Tyron Woodley vs. Stephen Thompson 2: Unfinished Business (UFC 209 Video) | MMAWeekly.com

• 6 hours ago

Champion Tyron Woodley and challenger Stephen Thompson have unfinished business after the two welterweights fought to a draw at UFC 205. read news >>

'The Ultimate Fighter: Latin America' vets Enrique Barzola and Gabriel Benitez meet at UFC 211 in Dallas

A pair of former contestants on “The Ultimate Fighter: Latin America,” including one season winner, will meet at UFC 211 in Dallas.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>