#UFC Fight Night 117 #UFC Fight Night 52 #Bellator 183 #Jessica Andrade #Claudia Gadelha #Ovince St. Preux #Gokhan Saki #Paul Daley #Fight Night Pittsburgh #Lorenz Larkin #Yushin Okami #Roy Nelson

pat-schilling-2.jpgRecent UFC competitor “Thrilling” Pat Schilling today announced his MMA retirement at the rather youthful age of 24.

Schilling (5-2 MMA, 0-2 UFC) today made the announcement via social media.

Schilling said his ultimate goal in the sport was to get the UFC. He accomplished the feat just two years after his January 2010 pro debut, though he ultimately suffered a submission defeat to Daniel Pineda (in a late-notice fight) and a decision loss to Max Holloway upon his arrival in the world’s biggest fight promotion.

“Before I’d ever get to that point, I would put in several hours of training every day while balancing a full time job,” he wrote. “I’d fight through a demanding local mixed martial arts scene, gaining a few dollars at a time, and a few fans per fight to support ‘Team Thrilling.’ The work was tough. I gave up a lot of other things in life to pursue this dream, and I reached its pinnacle. But now life has taken me another direction, and I just can’t meet the same rigorous expectations I placed upon myself when coming up through the ranks to be able to compete on the local scene and work my way back up.

“There are amazing people out there who push and motivate me, and there are unfortunately people who do the opposite: suck the energy and fun out of the game. Pulling the full time job and a full time fighting career is just something I don’t desire anymore. I want more time to spend with friends and family, and do things that continue to give me energy in life.”

The Minnesota-based fighter, whose UFC.com profile lists him as an operations supervisor at Best Buy, announced the organization had released him this past June.

Prior to joining the UFC, he posted a 5-0 record with five first-round stoppages.

“It was an amazing, tough journey that I will never forget,” he wrote. “And to my fans and supporters, you made the journey worthwhile. I love you all, and years from now, thinking about you cheering for me will bring me joy. You’ve helped me make incredible memories. “

Comments

UFC Announces National Charitable Partnership with Miracle Flights

UFC®, the world’s leading mixed martial arts organization, today announced a new national charitable partnership with Miracle Flights, the nation’s leading nonprofit health and welfare flight organiz read news >>

UFC and 7-Eleven, Inc. Sign Sponsorship Agreement

UFC®, the world’s premier mixed martial arts organization, today announced a new agreement with 7-Eleven®, the world’s largest convenience store chain, in which the industry-leader will serve as the read news >>

UFC and Kitman Labs Launch Innovative Sports Science Program

UFC® and Kitman Labs® today announced a multi-year partnership to deliver an innovative sports science and medicine program to all athletes competing under the UFC banner as they visit the UFC Perfor read news >>

UFC announces FITE TV as PPV streaming partner after Mayweather-McGregor debacle

The leading MMA promotion has announced a new partner for pay-per-view events.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

UFC and FITE TV Announce New Television Distribution Partnership

UFC®, the world’s premier mixed martial arts organization, today announced a new digital partnership with combat sports network FITE TV, to broadcast the global brand’s Pay-Per-View events on its read news >>

UFC and FITE TV Announce Television Distribution Partnership | MMAWeekly.com

UFC, the world’s premier mixed martial arts organization, today announced a new digital partnership with combat sports network FITE TV. read news >>

Mitch Clarke Announces Retirement from MMA Following Loss at UFC 215 | MMAWeekly.com

Following a tough second round TKO loss on Saturday night at UFC 215, Mitch Clarke announced his retirement from mixed martial arts. It was an emotional moment for the veteran fighter as he was compe read news >>

Mitch Clarke gave a very Canadian retirement speech after UFC 215 loss

Mitch Clarke managed a retirement speech that was as about as gracious and polite – and, let’s just say it, Canadian – as any we’ve ever heard.Filed under: Blue Corner, Featured Videos, News, UFC read news >>

UFC Flashback – The Greatest Upsets

Today we will look back at the 25 greatest upsets to take place in the Octagon. These were the ones that shocked the world, and a strong reminder that despite what the oddsmakers may say, this is why read news >>

UFC exec David Shaw bullish on Canada, says 'business as usual' despite recent death

Whether UFC 215 remains a sellout after its main event was canceled is anyone’s guess. But UFC exec David Shaw is still bullish on the promotion’s prospects for its first trip to Edmonton.Filed under read news >>