#UFC 217 #GSP #UFC Fight Night 120 #Michael Bisping #Conor McGregor #TJ Dillashaw #Nate Diaz #Cody Garbrandt #Dustin Poirier #Fight One #Anthony Pettis

Rashad Evans

Rashad Evans

If Rashad Evans had his choice, he’d opt to fight Jon Jones to get the UFC light heavyweight belt back. Of course, Jones has to get past Quinton “Rampage” Jackson at UFC 135 in September, but that’s who Evans wants to take the title from.

“I would prefer to get it from Jones because I would love to be the first one to beat him,” said Evans during the UFC 133 post-fight press conference. “And he’s so cocky. He’s so cocky. You think I’m cocky. He’s real cocky. He’s for real cocky. Like, I’m on camera, joking around cocky. He’s like, goes to sleep, praising himself cocky. That’s how cocky he is.

“I would love to teach him a lesson,” continued Evans. “If he makes it past Rampage then I get a chance to do that, but like I said, he has a tough fight ahead of him. If Rampage does his work, then he could actually do something. I think Rampage should come and train at my camp for this fight.”

It’s personal between Evans and Jones. The former teammates’ falling out played out in the media when Jones replaced Evans at UFC 128, winning the title from Mauricio “Shogun” Rua setting them on a collision course.

Following Evans’ UFC 133 win over Tito Ortiz, Jones tweeted, “Same stuff,” about Evans’ performance.

“That’s fine,” Evans said in reply to Jones’ tweet. “If it’s the same old stuff, that’s probably exactly why he didn’t want to fight me the first time. Jon knows how it went when we trained and he knows if I’m focused and I‘m strong and I’m healthy then he knows he has a fight on his hands.

“Jon’s a tough guy. Jon’s the champion, but I know what Jon’s weak at. He knows where I’m weak at, but we‘ll see who covers those weak areas up first,” said Evans. “He has a tough fight with Rampage. Rampage does move like Frankenstein. He’s not what he used to be in some areas, but I think if he does catch him he could put (Jones) to sleep.”

Evans has waited for title shots before, sitting on the sidelines waiting for scenarios to play themselves out. He’s done with that approach.

“I’m not going to wait by anymore. A fight’s a fight. I just want to fight, and I missed fighting so much that when it’s my time to fight, I’m going to fight. Of course, I’m going to make the smart decision, but at the same time I’m not going to be waiting to fight anymore,” he said.

“I’m 31 years old and I want to go out there and do some things. If I’m the best, I’m the best. I should be the best against fighting whoever I should fight,” he said.

“Dana (White) says it all the time to me, I’ve got to beat everybody anyways if I’m going to be the best. So it doesn’t matter how you stack them up. I’ll knock them down the same.”

Got something to say? Weigh in with a thought of your own in the comments section below.

Jeff Cain is a contributing writer for MMAWeekly.com.
@JeffMMAWeekly on Twitter or e-mail Jeff a question or comment.

Follow MMAWeekly.com on Twitter and Facebook.

Galleries

Jon Jones Fights

• a year ago

Comments

Freddie Roach Says He'd Like to See Potential GSP, Conor McGregor Fight Happen

Freddie Roach will make his debut as UFC cornerman for Georges St-Pierre in his fight against Michael Bisping at UFC 217 on Nov. 4, and the boxing trainer says he would like to see a matchup of St-Pi read news >>

So, what's Jon Jones been up to lately?

We haven’t heard much lately from Jon Jones, the former UFC champion who’s facing a potentially long suspension. However, Jones apparently isn’t giving up on the possibility of someday returning to t read news >>

Urijah Faber Says He'd Consider Ending Retirement for TJ Dillashaw Fight

UFC Hall of Famer Urijah Faber may be on the comeback trail. On Tuesday, TMZ Sports noted Faber would "consider coming out of retirement to fight TJ Dillashaw." However, Faber clarified he isn't look read news >>

Cody Garbrandt Reveals How Beating Up TJ Dillashaw Made Him Realize He'd Become UFC Champion | MMAWeekly.com

Cody Garbrandt knows exactly what to expect from TJ Dillashaw when they meet at UFC 217. read news >>

Jared Gordon believes he'd have gotten a finish had UFC Fight Night 119 not been in Brazil

Jared Gordon was close to stopping Hacran Dias in the second round at UFC-Sao Paulo. He thinks had it not been in Brazil, he would have.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC, Videos read news >>

Trading Shots: Did title turnover at UFC 217 teach us a lesson about the price of arrogance?

Three champions lost their titles at UFC 217 in an unprecedented changing of the guard. Is there anything to learn from how those champions approached their bouts, and how their challengers handled v read news >>

UFC 217: Bisping vs St-Pierre Fantasy Rewind

UFC 217 might go down as one of the greatest cards in history after three title fights all resulted in new champions being crowned. read news >>

Countdown to UFC Norfolk: Dustin Poirier vs. Anthony Pettis (Full Video) | MMAWeekly.com

Dustin Poirier and Anthony Pettis ready themselves for a pivotal main event that could position one of them to compete for the title in 2018. read news >>

'Countdown to UFC Fight Night 120' full episode with Anthony Pettis vs. Dustin Poirier

Did you miss the debut of “Countdown to UFC Fight Night 120,” or just want to watch it again? Check out the full episode now.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC, Videos read news >>

Rose Namajunas' Rough Week Leads to Unbelievable Upset | MMAWeekly.com

Rose Namajunas toppled the previously unbeaten queen of the UFC on Saturday, doing what no one thought she could. read news >>