Rashad Evans

Rashad Evans

If Rashad Evans had his choice, he’d opt to fight Jon Jones to get the UFC light heavyweight belt back. Of course, Jones has to get past Quinton “Rampage” Jackson at UFC 135 in September, but that’s who Evans wants to take the title from.

“I would prefer to get it from Jones because I would love to be the first one to beat him,” said Evans during the UFC 133 post-fight press conference. “And he’s so cocky. He’s so cocky. You think I’m cocky. He’s real cocky. He’s for real cocky. Like, I’m on camera, joking around cocky. He’s like, goes to sleep, praising himself cocky. That’s how cocky he is.

“I would love to teach him a lesson,” continued Evans. “If he makes it past Rampage then I get a chance to do that, but like I said, he has a tough fight ahead of him. If Rampage does his work, then he could actually do something. I think Rampage should come and train at my camp for this fight.”

It’s personal between Evans and Jones. The former teammates’ falling out played out in the media when Jones replaced Evans at UFC 128, winning the title from Mauricio “Shogun” Rua setting them on a collision course.

Following Evans’ UFC 133 win over Tito Ortiz, Jones tweeted, “Same stuff,” about Evans’ performance.

“That’s fine,” Evans said in reply to Jones’ tweet. “If it’s the same old stuff, that’s probably exactly why he didn’t want to fight me the first time. Jon knows how it went when we trained and he knows if I’m focused and I‘m strong and I’m healthy then he knows he has a fight on his hands.

“Jon’s a tough guy. Jon’s the champion, but I know what Jon’s weak at. He knows where I’m weak at, but we‘ll see who covers those weak areas up first,” said Evans. “He has a tough fight with Rampage. Rampage does move like Frankenstein. He’s not what he used to be in some areas, but I think if he does catch him he could put (Jones) to sleep.”

Evans has waited for title shots before, sitting on the sidelines waiting for scenarios to play themselves out. He’s done with that approach.

“I’m not going to wait by anymore. A fight’s a fight. I just want to fight, and I missed fighting so much that when it’s my time to fight, I’m going to fight. Of course, I’m going to make the smart decision, but at the same time I’m not going to be waiting to fight anymore,” he said.

“I’m 31 years old and I want to go out there and do some things. If I’m the best, I’m the best. I should be the best against fighting whoever I should fight,” he said.

“Dana (White) says it all the time to me, I’ve got to beat everybody anyways if I’m going to be the best. So it doesn’t matter how you stack them up. I’ll knock them down the same.”

Got something to say? Weigh in with a thought of your own in the comments section below.

Jeff Cain is a contributing writer for MMAWeekly.com.
@JeffMMAWeekly on Twitter or e-mail Jeff a question or comment.

Follow MMAWeekly.com on Twitter and Facebook.

DJ says he'd consider going after second belt

DEMETRIOUS JOHNSON WOULD CONSIDER CHASING SECOND UFC BELT 'IF THE MONEY'S RIGHT' By NESN Staff read news >>

Conor McGregor Tells GQ He'd Punch Floyd Mayweather's Head into the Bleachers

UFC lightweight champion Conor McGregor has insisted he would knock Floyd Mayweather's head "clean off his shoulder" and "into the bleachers" if the two were ever to go toe-to-toe. Speculation has ra read news >>

Rashad Evans Faces Daniel Kelly at UFC 209 | MMAWeekly.com

Former light heavyweight champion Rashad Evans will make his middleweight debut at UFC 209 against Australia's Daniel Kelly UFC officials announced on Tuesday. read news >>

For Rashad Evans, Future Hinges on Successful UFC Middleweight Debut

• 4 hours ago

Rashad Evans has been around long enough to be considered an MMA elder statement. Long enough that he's gone from hated to loved to practically pitied, what with his recent in-cage troubles and out-o read news >>

Rashad Evans' Ultimate 8 Octagon Moments (UFC 209 Video) | MMAWeekly.com

• 2 hours ago

Watch the top 8 moments from the career of former light heavyweight champion Rashad Evans. "Suga" returns to the Octagon as a middleweight at UFC 209. read news >>

UFC 209 Reasons to Watch

• 12 hours ago

Tyron Woodley and Stephen Thompson run it back after their UFC 205 draw, Khabib Nurmagomedov and Tony Ferguson fight for the interim belt and the chance to take on Conor McGregor, and much more. Here read news >>

The 10: March Madness in the Octagon

• 12 hours ago

March arrives with three events, starting with UFC 209 and followed by a pair of international events delivering tons of familiar names and intriguing fights into the cage. Let’s get right into it. T read news >>

Stream or download MMAjunkie Radio #2394 with Jhenny Andrade and Enson Inoue

• an hour ago

Stream or download Tuesday’s edition of MMAjunkie Radio with guests Jhenny Andrade and Enson Inoue.Filed under: News, Radio, UFC read news >>

Georges St-Pierre return official, will fight champ Michael Bisping for UFC's middleweight title

• an hour ago

We’ve known for a while that Georges St-Pierre is returning to the UFC. Now we know who he’ll fight – and it’ll be for a title.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>

Georges St-Pierre Will Challenge Michael Bisping in UFC Return | MMAWeekly.com

• 55 minutes ago

Little by little, Georges St-Pierre's return to the Octagon is becoming more and more real. read news >>