#Conor McGregor #Hayder Hassan #Nate Diaz #Wanderlei Silva #Chael Sonnen #UFC 202 #Bellator 180 #UFC Fight Night 111 #Jon Jones #Daniel Cormier #Holly Holm #Jose Aldo #Urijah Faber #UFC New York

Rashad Evans

Rashad Evans

If Rashad Evans had his choice, he’d opt to fight Jon Jones to get the UFC light heavyweight belt back. Of course, Jones has to get past Quinton “Rampage” Jackson at UFC 135 in September, but that’s who Evans wants to take the title from.

“I would prefer to get it from Jones because I would love to be the first one to beat him,” said Evans during the UFC 133 post-fight press conference. “And he’s so cocky. He’s so cocky. You think I’m cocky. He’s real cocky. He’s for real cocky. Like, I’m on camera, joking around cocky. He’s like, goes to sleep, praising himself cocky. That’s how cocky he is.

“I would love to teach him a lesson,” continued Evans. “If he makes it past Rampage then I get a chance to do that, but like I said, he has a tough fight ahead of him. If Rampage does his work, then he could actually do something. I think Rampage should come and train at my camp for this fight.”

It’s personal between Evans and Jones. The former teammates’ falling out played out in the media when Jones replaced Evans at UFC 128, winning the title from Mauricio “Shogun” Rua setting them on a collision course.

Following Evans’ UFC 133 win over Tito Ortiz, Jones tweeted, “Same stuff,” about Evans’ performance.

“That’s fine,” Evans said in reply to Jones’ tweet. “If it’s the same old stuff, that’s probably exactly why he didn’t want to fight me the first time. Jon knows how it went when we trained and he knows if I’m focused and I‘m strong and I’m healthy then he knows he has a fight on his hands.

“Jon’s a tough guy. Jon’s the champion, but I know what Jon’s weak at. He knows where I’m weak at, but we‘ll see who covers those weak areas up first,” said Evans. “He has a tough fight with Rampage. Rampage does move like Frankenstein. He’s not what he used to be in some areas, but I think if he does catch him he could put (Jones) to sleep.”

Evans has waited for title shots before, sitting on the sidelines waiting for scenarios to play themselves out. He’s done with that approach.

“I’m not going to wait by anymore. A fight’s a fight. I just want to fight, and I missed fighting so much that when it’s my time to fight, I’m going to fight. Of course, I’m going to make the smart decision, but at the same time I’m not going to be waiting to fight anymore,” he said.

“I’m 31 years old and I want to go out there and do some things. If I’m the best, I’m the best. I should be the best against fighting whoever I should fight,” he said.

“Dana (White) says it all the time to me, I’ve got to beat everybody anyways if I’m going to be the best. So it doesn’t matter how you stack them up. I’ll knock them down the same.”

Got something to say? Weigh in with a thought of your own in the comments section below.

Jeff Cain is a contributing writer for MMAWeekly.com.
@JeffMMAWeekly on Twitter or e-mail Jeff a question or comment.

Follow MMAWeekly.com on Twitter and Facebook.

Evans battles Alvey in second MW bout this August

Former UFC light heavyweight champion Rashad Evans will take his second shot at winning his first fight at middleweight on August 5, when he travels to Arena Ciudad Del Mexico in Mexico City to face read news >>

Coach Winkeljohn: Jon Jones will finish Daniel Cormier, Alexander Gustafsson in rematches

Jon Jones’ longtime coach, Mike Winkeljohn, guarantees the former UFC light heavyweight champion will not only show up for his UFC 214 title rematch with Daniel Cormier, but he’s going to win more im read news >>

Hector Lombard vs. Anthony Smith targeted for August UFC event

After ex-UFC champ Rashad Evans turned him down, Hector Lombard has a fight.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Daniel Cormier: USADA's presence means Jon Jones can't cheat at UFC 214 like before

UFC light heavyweight champion Daniel Cormier is very happy the U.S. Anti-Doping Agency is now handling drug testing ahead of his UFC 214 rematch with Jon Jones.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>

Rashad Evans Heads to Mexico for Second UFC Middleweight Bout | MMAWeekly.com

Rashad Evans will continue his attempted run at middleweight when the UFC returns to Mexico City. read news >>

Rashad Evans vs. Sam Alvey tabbed for UFC Fight Night 114 in Mexico City

Former UFC light heavyweight champion Rashad Evans’ road to redemption continues.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

UFC on FOX 25: Weidman vs. Gastelum Fight Card and Start Times | MMAWeekly.com

UFC on FOX 25: Weidman vs. Gastelum fight card and start times for the Nassau Veterans Memorial Coliseum in Long Island, New York on July 22, 2017. read news >>

Oluwale Bamgbose plans to embarrass unbeaten Paulo Borrachinha at UFC 212

Despite a rocky start to his UFC career, Oluwale Bamgbose doesn’t lack confidence heading into Saturday’s pay-per-view fight vs. undefeated Paulo Borrachinha.Filed under: Featured Videos, News, UFC, read news >>

UFC 212's Matthew Lopez looks forward to Johnny Eduardo, still looks back at Rani Yahya

Bantamweight Matthew Lopez was 8-0 when he met Rani Yahya at UFC Fight Night 91. And when he left the octagon, he was no longer undefeated.Filed under: News, UFC, Videos read news >>

Claudia Gadelha: 'I Needed to Do Different Things to Get Different Results' (UFC 212 Video) | MMAWeekly.com

Top ranked strawweight Claudia Gadelha talks about changing training camps and being smarter heading into her UFC 212 bout against Karolina Kowalkiewicz. read news >>