#UFC Fight Night 117 #UFC Fight Night 52 #Bellator 183 #Jessica Andrade #Claudia Gadelha #Ovince St. Preux #Paul Daley #Fight Night Pittsburgh #Lorenz Larkin #Bellator MMA #Roy Nelson #Gokhan Saki

Rashad Evans’ victory over Dan Henderson in the UFC 161 headliner did not come easily, but the former champion will take it nonetheless.

Evans snatched a split decision from Henderson on Saturday night at MTS Centre in Winnipeg, Manitoba, overcoming a first-round knockdown to halt a two-fight skid and earn his first win since January 2012.

“I felt like I needed to get that win desperately,” Evans told Fox Sports. “When you’re fighting somebody like Dan Henderson with your back against the wall, there are a lot of things going around in your head and a lot of things that people say. No matter how strong you are, it still seems to seep in, and you start thinking that you really need to get that win.”

Prior to his win over Henderson, Evans dropped a unanimous verdict to Antonio Rogerio Nogueira this past February in a lackluster three-rounder at UFC 161. The memory of that uncharacteristically poor performance may have been dampened by tonight’s victory, however, especially due to the strength of Evans’ third round against “Hendo.”

“I felt a bit more nervous [tonight]. I just wanted to perform well. Tonight was all about execution. I felt like, as long as I execute, the performance will take care of itself,” said Evans. “I was somewhat [happy with my performance]. I’ve learned in this game to be happy with a win, because they don’t always come. But the critic -- the analyst in me feels like I could have done better and that there were a lot of things that I didn’t do well that I should have. But that’s part of the game. I’m still growing in this sport, and as long as I have the opportunity to fight again, I’ll fix those things I didn’t do right.”

His victory over Henderson now behind him, Evans said he is open to fighting whomever the UFC places in front of him next, including fellow top-10 talent Glover Teixeira.

“Glover said he’d like to fight [tonight’s] winner,” said Evans. “I’m not calling anybody out... but I’m not turning anybody down. I like to fight.”

Galleries

Dan Henderson Fights

• a year ago

Glover Teixeira Fights

• a year ago

Comments

UFC Fight Night 115 headliner Alexander Volkov ready for more contenders with win over Struve

It’s hard to find someone in the heavyweight ranks who can tower over Alexander Volkov. But fair play to the UFC matchmakers: They did it.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC, Videos read news >>

Demetrious Johnson vs. Ray Borg scratched from UFC 215 headliner

No, seriously. The planned headliner for Saturday’s event between UFC flyweight champion and Ray Borg has been called off less than 12 hours before the fighters were set to hit the scales.Filed under read news >>

Donald Cerrone vs. Darren Till expected for UFC Fight Night 118 headliner in Poland

A welterweight headliner between two striking specialists is expected to serve as the headliner for UFC Fight Night 118.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Referee and judges set for UFC 216's Tony Ferguson vs. Kevin Lee title headliner

Veteran MMA referee Herb Dean will be the third man in the cage for UFC 216’s main event between Tony Ferguson and Kevin Lee.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Before UFC-Pittsburgh headliner, watch Luke Rockhold's 2015 bout with Lyoto Machida

Back in 2015, former Strikeforce champion Luke Rockhold picked up his third “Performance of the Night” bonus in four fights when he took on Lyoto Machida. Check out the full fight.Filed under: News, read news >>

Ex-champ Luke Rockhold calls UFC 217 headliner between Michael Bisping, Georges St-Pierre 'a joke'

Luke Rockhold is fighting ex-WSOF champ David Branch at UFC Fight Night 116, but he’ll be ready if there’s a shuffle at the top of UFC 217.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>

Glover Teixeira vs. Misha Cirkunov moved from Brazil to UFC on FOX 26 in Canada

Brazil’s loss is Canada’s gain as Glover Teixeira vs. Misha Cirkunov has been moved to Winnipeg.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

UFC Fight Night 116 pre-event facts: Which headliner is least-hit fighter in UFC history?

The facts, figures and potential milestones on the line at UFC Fight Night 116, featuring a Luke Rockhold vs. David Branch main event.Filed under: News, UFC, Videos read news >>

UFC 216 lineup set with interim lightweight title headliner in Las Vegas

The lineup is set for the UFC’s return to its Las Vegas home base next month with an interim title at the top of the bill.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Dustin Poirier vs. Anthony Pettis Announced as UFC Virginia Headliner | MMAWeekly.com

Though it has been expected for quite some time, Dustin Poirier vs. Anthony Pettis on Wednesday was officially named the UFC Fight Night 120 main event. read news >>