#UFC Fight Night 118 #Darren Till #Donald Cerrone #Artem Lobov #Andre Fili #Bellator 185 #Karolina Kowalkiewicz #Gegard Mousasi #Alexander Shlemenko #Jan Blachowicz #Devin Clark #Kristina Williams #Ramazan Emeev #Sam Alvey #Oskar Piechota

Randy Couture

Randy Couture’s deal is with Spike TV, not Bellator MMA.

Many people share the misconception that Randy Couture has cut a deal with Bellator MMA. He has not.

The UFC Hall of Famer’s contract is with Spike TV, and just happens to include being a coach on the “Fight Master: Bellator MMA” reality show.  In fact, all of the coaches’ deals are with Spike TV.

“I have to clarify that because my deal is with Spike.  It’s for TV shows, both scripted and unscripted potential shows.  I’ve never been to Bellator.  That was the first time I’ve ever met Bjorn (Rebney), was at the press conference, so I’m not involved in any way, shape, or form with Bellator, just to clarify that,” Couture told Knockout Radio, an MMAWeekly.com official content partner.

“My deal is to train athletes for this reality show that will get the opportunity to fight in the tournament for Bellator, and that’s about the extent of my commitment, at least at this stage of things, with the organization and the promotion of Bellator,” Couture added.

“I think that is a distinction that is largely misunderstood and maybe lost on Dana (White).  He’s not one for details.  But at the end of the day, that’s the reality of it.”

For Couture, the Spike TV deal is an opportunity to pursue his acting career and expand the reach of his brand, as well as mentoring young fighters.

“I think there are some opportunities for some scripted series.  Spike wants to develop some new stuff that’s their own, their own cable-type shows.  You’ve seen FX and a lot of other places that are developing those types of things: The Walking Dead, Justified.  There’s a ton of shows like that out there that are scripted television that are fun.  I enjoy a lot of those shows, so if I get the opportunity to continue to refine and hone my acting skills in that type of setting, it would be crazy for me not to get on board and be part of it,” he said.

UFC president Dana White was not happy with the way Couture handled his transition from the UFC to Spike TV, but Couture and Spike TV knew it would be this way going into the deal.

“I think they understood when they came to me and asked me to get involved in this what it meant to me and what kind of trouble we were in for and what I was in for with regards to Zuffa and Dana.  They had a longstanding, six-and-a-half year relationship with Dana.  They know Dana as well as anybody.

“I think they’ve respected that.  They’ve stepped up with the offer they made me and the commitment they made to me is genuine and very solid,” said Couture. “So I’m happy to be involved.”

Be sure to Like MMAWeekly.com on Facebook and Follow @MMAWeeklycom on Twitter.

Comments

He missed weight and lost a title shot, but is there still hope for Bellator's Leandro Higo?

After a split-decision loss to champ Eduardo Dantas to kick off his Bellator run, Leandro Higo believes a win over Joe Taimanglo at Bellator 184 could help get him to another title shot.Filed under: read news >>

Bellator 183 salaries: Patricky Freire earns event-best $110,000

Patricky Freire earned the largest disclosed payday at this past weekend’s Bellator 183 event.Filed under: Bellator, News read news >>

Stream or download MMAjunkie Radio #2532 with Michael Chandler and Walt Harris

Stream or download Tuesday’s episode of MMAjunkie Radio with guests Michael Chandler and Walt HarrisFiled under: Bellator, News, Radio, UFC read news >>

Douglas Lima on Rory MacDonald face-off: 'I thought he was going to sell me an iPad'

Bellator champ Douglas Lima’s thoughts when he was face to face with a Steve Jobs-looking Rory MacDonald? “I thought he was going to sell me an iPad.”Filed under: Bellator, News, Videos read news >>

A Fight with Conor? Bellator 3-Division Champ? Rory MacDonald Wants It All

Rory MacDonald seems to have found some extra swagger since arriving in Bellator MMA. Perhaps there's good reason for that. Long regarded as one of the top welterweights in the world, the 28-year-old read news >>

Undefeated A.J. McKee set to fight Jeremy Petley at Bellator 187 in Ireland

A.J. McKee won’t face rival James Gallagher like he’d hoped, but they’ll be on the same card.Filed under: Bellator, News read news >>

Michael McDonald to make Bellator debut this December in England

Once the youngest competitor in the UFC at 20, Michael McDonald’s quest to rebuild his career in Bellator begins this winter.Filed under: Bellator, News read news >>

Scott Coker open to Bellator heavyweight tournament but wants to crown champion first

Bellator President Scott Coker said he’d like to crown a new heavyweight champion in the first part of 2018.Filed under: Bellator, Featured, News read news >>

Bellator champ Eduardo Dantas says he's close to being best-ever bantamweight

Bellator bantamweight champ Eduardo Dantas said he’s close to proving he’s the world’s best as he nears a fight with Darrion Caldwell at Bellator 184.Filed under: Bellator, News read news >>

Scott Coker: Chuck Liddell would need 'battery of tests' before fighting in Bellator

UFC Hall of Famer Chuck Liddell is talking like he’s about to make a comeback in the Bellator cage, but it won’t be as simple as signing a fight deal.Filed under: Bellator, Featured, News, UFC read news >>