#UFC 218 #Conor McGregor #Francis Ngannou #Alistair Overeem #UFC 217 #Lomachenko vs Rigondeaux #Stipe Miocic #GSP #Max Holloway

EDMONTON – Rafael dos Anjos wants the next title shot against UFC welterweight champion Tyron Woodley, and he believes his UFC 215 victory over Neil Magny may have solidified it for him.

Former UFC lightweight champ dos Anjos (27-9 MMA, 16-7 UFC) improved to 2-0 since he moved up to 170 pounds earlier this year, when he earned a first-round submission win over Neil Magny (19-6 MMA, 12-5 UFC) in Saturday’s UFC 215 co-main event, which took place at Rogers Center in Edmonton, Alberta, Canada, and aired on pay-per-view following prelims on FS1 and UFC Fight Pass.

Dos Anjos was already on the cusp of a fight with Woodley (18-3-1 MMA, 8-2-1 UFC) at UFC 214 in July when he was pegged as an alternate if top contender Demian Maia would’ve been unable to fight at the event. Maia ended up taking the fight and lost an underwhelming unanimous decision to the champion. With no clear-cut No. 1 contender in the division, dos Anjos thinks he has a good chance of sliding into position as the next challenger.

“This division’s wide open; all the top-five, top-six guys in this division have lost to the champion or to the last challenger, which was Demian Maia,” dos Anjos said after UFC 215. “(Stephen) Thompson lost twice to Woodley already. I’m the new blood in this division. I was getting ready to fight Woodley if Maia didn’t take the fight, but he ended up taking the fight. But I was getting ready for it, so here I am.”

Dos Anjos, 32, plans to take some time off after competing twice in a three-month stretch, but he said that works perfectly since Woodley is nursing a shoulder injury coming out of the fight with Maia. UFC President Dana White said after UFC 214 that ex-champ Robbie Lawler could be next in line, but it was far from a definite.

Given his one-sided performance over Magny at UFC 215 and the fact Woodley already holds a first-round knockout of Lawler, dos Anjos thinks he’s the most probable candidate.

“I’m the former lightweight champion looking forward to being a two-division champion,” dos Anjos said. “I know Woodley has an injury, but I need some time off now. I fought three months ago in Singapore. I just fought now. I was preparing for Woodley, but Maia took the fight. I don’t want to lose what I was training already, so I called (UFC matchmaker Sean) Shelby and said, ‘Hey, I want to fight, if you have somebody.’ Then the opportunity with Neil Magny came up.

“We’ll see. My goal is to fight for the title.”

One thing dos Anjos said he has going for him is the challenge he brings Woodley. “The Chosen One” has received criticism for his past two title defenses, against Maia and Thompson, and dos Anjos promised there would be no complaints about a lack of action.

“One thing I can be sure, is we’re going to fight,” dos Anjos said. “I’m not going to let him walk around, and I’m going to make sure I push the pace. I’m not saying I will not use my strategy. Of course I will. But I will walk forward. I have confidence in me, in my cardio, and I’m going to make him work.”

For complete coverage of UFC 215, check out the UFC Events section of the site.

Galleries

Rafael dos Anjos Fights

• a year ago

Tyron Woodley Fights

• a year ago

Comments

Not to toot his own horn, but Fabricio Werdum knows his UFC title-shot credentials are best

Fabricio Werdum believes he deserves a UFC title shot after picking up his second victory in a 42-day stretch.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC, Videos read news >>

UFC champ Tyron Woodley: Nate Diaz's $15 million price tag just a way of ducking

Tyron Woodley believes he had a fight with Nate Diaz at UFC 219, whether or not a UFC employee went “off the reservation” in offering it.Filed under: Featured, News, Radio Highlight, UFC, Videos read news >>

Tyron Woodley Doesn't Think Conor McGregor Will Ever Fight Again | MMAWeekly.com

Tyron Woodley believes that UFC lightweight champ Conor McGregor will never defend a UFC title... or even fight again. read news >>

Sergio Pettis would give up title shot if UFC wants Demetrious Johnson vs. T.J. Dillashaw

Sergio Pettis is all about this potential champion vs. champion fight between Demetrious Johnson and T.J. Dillashaw, even if it cost him.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC, Videos read news >>

Joe Rogan: Francis Ngannou can recreate 'Mike Tyson days' as UFC's next big star

Longtime commentator Joe Rogan believes UFC heavyweight contender Francis Ngannou has big, crossover star potential.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>

Marlon Moraes and Aljamain Sterling Taking Aim at Title Shot (UFC Fresno Video) | MMAWeekly.com

(Courtesy of UFC) Marlon Moraes meets Aljamain Sterling at UFC Fight Night Fresno on Saturday in a pivotal bantamweight fight. The winner of their bout quickly escalates into the thick of the bantamw read news >>

Stipe Miocic vs. Francis Ngannou Heavyweight Title Fight Announced for UFC 220

UFC has confirmed that heavyweight champion Stipe Miocic will defend his title against Francis Ngannou in January. Per a tweet from UFC, Miocic vs. Ngannou will take place at UFC 220 on Jan. 20 at th read news >>

Tecia Torres believes she can skip past Joanna Jedrzejczyk in title queue with UFC 218 win

Tecia Torres believes an impressive win over Michelle Waterson at UFC 218 could get her a strawweight title shot.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC, Videos read news >>

Relive the Night Sean O'Malley Earned His UFC Contract (TUF Finale Video) | MMAWeekly.com

Charismatic bantamweight Sean O’Malley earned a UFC contract with a crisp knockout on Dana White’s Tuesday Night Contender Series. read news >>

Check Out Robbie Lawler's Brutal Finish of Josh Koscheck in His UFC Return (Fight Video) | MMAWeekly.com

In his first fight back in Octagon at UFC 157, Robbie Lawler scored a knockout of the night victory over Josh Koscheck back in 2013. read news >>