#UFC Fight Night 118 #Darren Till #Donald Cerrone #Bellator 185 #Gegard Mousasi #Alexander Shlemenko #Artem Lobov #Andre Fili #Karolina Kowalkiewicz #Kristina Williams #Jan Blachowicz #Devin Clark #Bellator MMA #Heather Hardy #Sam Alvey

EDMONTON – Rafael dos Anjos wants the next title shot against UFC welterweight champion Tyron Woodley, and he believes his UFC 215 victory over Neil Magny may have solidified it for him.

Former UFC lightweight champ dos Anjos (27-9 MMA, 16-7 UFC) improved to 2-0 since he moved up to 170 pounds earlier this year, when he earned a first-round submission win over Neil Magny (19-6 MMA, 12-5 UFC) in Saturday’s UFC 215 co-main event, which took place at Rogers Center in Edmonton, Alberta, Canada, and aired on pay-per-view following prelims on FS1 and UFC Fight Pass.

Dos Anjos was already on the cusp of a fight with Woodley (18-3-1 MMA, 8-2-1 UFC) at UFC 214 in July when he was pegged as an alternate if top contender Demian Maia would’ve been unable to fight at the event. Maia ended up taking the fight and lost an underwhelming unanimous decision to the champion. With no clear-cut No. 1 contender in the division, dos Anjos thinks he has a good chance of sliding into position as the next challenger.

“This division’s wide open; all the top-five, top-six guys in this division have lost to the champion or to the last challenger, which was Demian Maia,” dos Anjos said after UFC 215. “(Stephen) Thompson lost twice to Woodley already. I’m the new blood in this division. I was getting ready to fight Woodley if Maia didn’t take the fight, but he ended up taking the fight. But I was getting ready for it, so here I am.”

Dos Anjos, 32, plans to take some time off after competing twice in a three-month stretch, but he said that works perfectly since Woodley is nursing a shoulder injury coming out of the fight with Maia. UFC President Dana White said after UFC 214 that ex-champ Robbie Lawler could be next in line, but it was far from a definite.

Given his one-sided performance over Magny at UFC 215 and the fact Woodley already holds a first-round knockout of Lawler, dos Anjos thinks he’s the most probable candidate.

“I’m the former lightweight champion looking forward to being a two-division champion,” dos Anjos said. “I know Woodley has an injury, but I need some time off now. I fought three months ago in Singapore. I just fought now. I was preparing for Woodley, but Maia took the fight. I don’t want to lose what I was training already, so I called (UFC matchmaker Sean) Shelby and said, ‘Hey, I want to fight, if you have somebody.’ Then the opportunity with Neil Magny came up.

“We’ll see. My goal is to fight for the title.”

One thing dos Anjos said he has going for him is the challenge he brings Woodley. “The Chosen One” has received criticism for his past two title defenses, against Maia and Thompson, and dos Anjos promised there would be no complaints about a lack of action.

“One thing I can be sure, is we’re going to fight,” dos Anjos said. “I’m not going to let him walk around, and I’m going to make sure I push the pace. I’m not saying I will not use my strategy. Of course I will. But I will walk forward. I have confidence in me, in my cardio, and I’m going to make him work.”

For complete coverage of UFC 215, check out the UFC Events section of the site.

Galleries

Rafael dos Anjos Fights

• a year ago

Tyron Woodley Fights

• a year ago

Comments

UFC 216's Fabricio Werdum: I deserve title shot with impressive win over Derrick Lewis

Fabricio Werdum believes an impressive win vs. Derrick Lewis at UFC 216 should get him the next shot at heavyweight champ Stipe Miocic.Filed under: News, UFC, Videos read news >>

Champ Tyron Woodley responds to Rafael dos Anjos' interim title plea for Robbie Lawler fight

An interim title for Rafael dos Anjos vs. Robbie Lawler? UFC champ Tyron Woodley isn’t having it.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Dana White: Robbie Lawler-Rafael dos Anjos winner gets next shot at champ Tyron Woodley

The recently UFC on FOX 26 main event between Robbie Lawler and Rafael dos Anjos is a title-eliminator in the welterweight division. Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>

Robbie Lawler vs. Rafael dos Anjos Winner Gets Next Title Shot Against Tyron Woodley | MMAWeekly.com

Rafael dos Anjos isn't competing for an interim title fight against Robbie Lawler on Dec. 16 but he will be getting the next best thing. On Friday, UFC president Dana White confirmed that the winner read news >>

UFC Champ Tyron Woodley Endorses a Ronda Rousey Move to WWE | MMAWeekly.com

(Video courtesy of TMZSports | Viewing may be limited by broadcast rights restrictions) Ronda Rousey has been teasing a move away from her career in the UFC to a professional wrestling stint in the W read news >>

Jan Blachowicz hopes to end ‘bad luck’ streak vs. Devin Clark at UFC-Gdansk

Jan Blachowicz has lost four of his last five fights heading into his UFC-Gdansk main-card bout vs. Devin Clark.Filed under: News, UFC, Videos read news >>

Borrachinha sees Hendricks as the first big step towards a title shot

Paulo Borrachinha is preparing for only his third UFC fight, but the responsibility is the same as that of a more established fighter in the organization, as he faces former champion Johny Hendricks read news >>

Colby Covington undeterred, insists UFC title shot close once he beats Demian Maia

Ever confident about his future in the UFC welterweight division, Colby Covington believes his title shot is around the corner.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Tyron Woodley Insists Demi Lovato Has Legit Skills and He Has UFC Match-Ups in Mind | MMAWeekly.com

• a day ago

Not only does Tyron Woodley think Demi Lovato has legitimate fighting skills, he's also got some potential UFC match-ups in mind. read news >>

Tyron Woodley Fires Back at Rafael dos Anjos Suggesting an Interim Title Fight | MMAWeekly.com

With three title defenses over the past 12 months, welterweight king Tyron Woodley knows his championship status has been earned. Still that didn't stop former lightweight champion Rafael dos Anjos f read news >>