#LFA 36 #Conor McGregor #Daniel Cormier #Christian Aguilera #Ricardo Seixas #Alain Ngalani #AXS TV Fights #Iron Will #Garry Tonon #Khabib Nurmagomedov #Tony Ferguson #Fight Night London #Invicta FC 28 #Jaymes Schulte #UFC 223

Rafael dos Anjos wants title shot, promises not to let champ Tyron Woodley 'walk around'

EDMONTON – Rafael dos Anjos wants the next title shot against UFC welterweight champion Tyron Woodley, and he believes his UFC 215 victory over Neil Magny may have solidified it for him.

Former UFC lightweight champ dos Anjos (27-9 MMA, 16-7 UFC) improved to 2-0 since he moved up to 170 pounds earlier this year, when he earned a first-round submission win over Neil Magny (19-6 MMA, 12-5 UFC) in Saturday’s UFC 215 co-main event, which took place at Rogers Center in Edmonton, Alberta, Canada, and aired on pay-per-view following prelims on FS1 and UFC Fight Pass.

Dos Anjos was already on the cusp of a fight with Woodley (18-3-1 MMA, 8-2-1 UFC) at UFC 214 in July when he was pegged as an alternate if top contender Demian Maia would’ve been unable to fight at the event. Maia ended up taking the fight and lost an underwhelming unanimous decision to the champion. With no clear-cut No. 1 contender in the division, dos Anjos thinks he has a good chance of sliding into position as the next challenger.

“This division’s wide open; all the top-five, top-six guys in this division have lost to the champion or to the last challenger, which was Demian Maia,” dos Anjos said after UFC 215. “(Stephen) Thompson lost twice to Woodley already. I’m the new blood in this division. I was getting ready to fight Woodley if Maia didn’t take the fight, but he ended up taking the fight. But I was getting ready for it, so here I am.”

Dos Anjos, 32, plans to take some time off after competing twice in a three-month stretch, but he said that works perfectly since Woodley is nursing a shoulder injury coming out of the fight with Maia. UFC President Dana White said after UFC 214 that ex-champ Robbie Lawler could be next in line, but it was far from a definite.

Given his one-sided performance over Magny at UFC 215 and the fact Woodley already holds a first-round knockout of Lawler, dos Anjos thinks he’s the most probable candidate.

“I’m the former lightweight champion looking forward to being a two-division champion,” dos Anjos said. “I know Woodley has an injury, but I need some time off now. I fought three months ago in Singapore. I just fought now. I was preparing for Woodley, but Maia took the fight. I don’t want to lose what I was training already, so I called (UFC matchmaker Sean) Shelby and said, ‘Hey, I want to fight, if you have somebody.’ Then the opportunity with Neil Magny came up.

“We’ll see. My goal is to fight for the title.”

One thing dos Anjos said he has going for him is the challenge he brings Woodley. “The Chosen One” has received criticism for his past two title defenses, against Maia and Thompson, and dos Anjos promised there would be no complaints about a lack of action.

“One thing I can be sure, is we’re going to fight,” dos Anjos said. “I’m not going to let him walk around, and I’m going to make sure I push the pace. I’m not saying I will not use my strategy. Of course I will. But I will walk forward. I have confidence in me, in my cardio, and I’m going to make him work.”

For complete coverage of UFC 215, check out the UFC Events section of the site.

Rafael dos Anjos Fights

• a year ago

Tyron Woodley Fights

• a year ago

UFC on FOX 28's Max Griffin: Mike Perry is 'a clown to me,' has confidence issues

Max Griffin believes in scientific measures of his ability to hang with Mike Perry and some less scientific ones. read news >>

Jay Hieron: UFC's Yoel Romero has paid price for weight miss, title shot is fair

Should Yoel Romero’s weight miss before his KO of Luke Rockhold get in the way of a title shot? UFC vet Jay Hieron doesn’t think so. read news >>

Marion Reneau has an idea for UFC matchmakers after beating Sara McMann at UFC on FOX 28

Marion Reneau believes beating Sara McMann at UFC on FOX 28 was essential in order to prove something to herself and everyone else. read news >>

Tired of waiting for title shot, Edgar game for Ortega challenge at UFC 222

Frankie Edgar could have held out for a title shot when champion Max Holloway went down with an injury to prolong their scheduled title bout. But "The Answer" wants to stay busy and he's ready to tak read news >>

Newcomer Hernandez replaces Green in UFC 222 bout

With Bobby Green withdrawing from his UFC 222 bout against Beneil Dariush, the door was opened for Texas prospect Alexander "The Great" Hernandez to make his Octagon debut against the No. 11-ranked l read news >>

Cody Stamann believes UFC wants Bryan Caraway out, and 'I'm the only guy that can do it'

Cody Stamann says he’s part of the new guard at bantamweight, and the UFC wants him to push Bryan Caraway out of relevance at UFC 222. read news >>

Brian Kelleher ready to go toe-to-toe with John Lineker en route to UFC title shot

After downing former champ Renan Barao, Brian Kelleher said the world should now see what he’s always known: The title will one day be his. read news >>

Brian Ortega gets call from Dana White: UFC title shot vs. Max Holloway is next

It probably is no surprise, and we’ll be awaiting a date, but it looks like Brian Ortega has his title shot. read news >>

Undefeated Ketlen Vieira Wants Title Shot After UFC 222 Win | MMAWeekly.com

Unbeaten Ketlen Vieira extended her unbeaten streak to 10 consecutive fights when she defeated former title challenger Cat Zingano at UFC 222. read news >>

Jimmie Rivera: Win over Marlon Moraes makes me No. 1 contender 'no questions asked'

Jimmie Rivera says the winner of his UFC Fight Night 131 bout with Marlon Moraes should be next for UFC bantamweight champ T.J. Dillashaw. read news >>

Amanda Nunes vs. Cris Cyborg on hold; Raquel Pennington's 135-pound title shot official

The showdown between UFC champions Amanda Nunes and Cris Cyborg will have to wait – if it happens at all. read news >>

Tyron Woodley Says He is Training Floyd Mayweather for Possible UFC Debut | MMAWeekly.com

Despite most writing off Floyd Mayweather's MMA interest as a tease, UFC champ Tyron Woodley said that he is preparing to train Mayweather in mixed martial arts. read news >>

UFC Champ Tyron Woodley Could Have Floyd Mayweather Ready for MMA in 2.5 Months

Floyd "Money" Mayweather jumping into MMA would, naturally, be huge money for everyone involved. Even with a transition still in a hypothetical stage, people across the sport are looking to get a sli read news >>

Narimani steps up to face Haqparast in London

With Alex Reyes forced out of his UFC London bout against Nasrat Haqparast due to injury, Bristol's Nad Narimani has agreed to step in to make his UFC debut against Haqparast this Saturday at the O2 read news >>

Nick Newell deserves his UFC shot, but what will it take?

At some point, the UFC denying congenital amputee Nick Newell an opportunity just starts to look like plain old discrimination. read news >>

Stevie Ray Found Out the Hard Way that Free Agency Doesn't Work For Everybody | MMAWeekly.com

Stevie Ray speaks about fighting out his UFC contract in hopes of flourishing in free agency but the plan backfired and left him sidelines for most of 2017 read news >>

Search for: