#Conor McGregor #UFC Fight Night 83 #Nate Diaz #Jon Jones #Luke Rockhold #David Branch #Michael Bisping #UFC 215 #Saturday Night Fights

Mirsad BekticFollowing a successful 4-0 start in the amateur ranks, featherweight prospect Mirsad Bektic changed teams and has taken his game to a whole other level, winning his first five pro fights in convincing fashion.

“I moved down (to Coconut Creek) to American Top Team full time and it’s just been like a humbling experience being with the quality of coaches and teammates I have around me,” he said.

“It’s literally like living my dream and I’m just becoming a whole different fighter and more complete every day.”

When asked if he feels like he’s performing up to his standards, Bektic responded, “Some fights yes, some fights no. In all my fights I’ve learned and taken something from each of them.”

Perhaps no fight has been more productive for him than when he went the distance in his last fight this past November at RFA 5 against Doug Jenkins.

“When the full 15 minutes were done, I wasn’t feeling any different than I had in other fights,” said Bektic. “I always know I’m in great shape, so going three rounds gave me a lot more experience in how to handle myself and control myself. I definitely matured.”

Bektic’s performance against Jenkins was enough for the RFA to invite him to fight at RFA 7 on Friday in Denver against local up-and-comer Nick Macias in a feature bout on AXS TV.

“He’s fought tough guys like Tyler Toner and stuff, and he’s gone to decisions more than I have. So he has more ring time than I have, but I feel if I go out there and perform the way I do in the gym, I’m going to get my hand raised,” said Bektic.

“I think I have a skillset to fight this fight wherever it goes. Whether it’s stand-up or grappling – I believe my grappling is pretty underrated – I believe I can take advantage in this fight wherever it goes.”

Having previously lived in neighboring state Nebraska prior to moving to Florida to train with the ATT, Bektic feels he’ll be prepared to fight at the mile high altitude of Denver.

“When I was living in Nebraska and was an amateur I had a fight in Colorado and I wasn’t in as near as good of shape as I am now, and I think I handled it really well, so I believe if I show up in shape and show up ready. It shouldn’t be a problem,” Bektic told MMAWeekly.com

Already a fighter on the radar of many people, Bektic feels that the pressure to live up to the expectations is always there, but is not as prominent as that which he puts on himself to achieve his own lofty expectations.

“Moving (to Florida) and doing this full time, I’m not doing it to see how far I can go or see what I can do or unsure of what’s going on, I’m in it because I know where I’ve come from and where I am going,” he said. “I see the end result at the end of the road and I believe I’m going to be a UFC champion, so I guess the pressure is always there.

“Every fight is as important as important as my first fight. I push myself because that’s what I expect out of myself, so I just go out there and perform.”

(Photo courtesy of Mirsad Bektic)

Comments

Jon Jones' Manager Confounded, Refuses to Believe Jones Cheated | MMAWeekly.com

UFC champion Jon Jones is in the midst facing what could be yet another setback in his life, but his manager refuses to believe he cheated. read news >>

Video: UFC 215, UFC 216 media day face-offs, where Tony Ferguson and Kevin Lee get heated

The UFC today hosted a media event to promote September’s UFC 216 and October’s UFC 217 fight cards, which feature three championship bouts in total. Filed under: Featured, News, UFC, Videos read news >>

Johnson vs. Borg, Nunes vs. Shevchenko Face Off Ahead of Double Title Fight at UFC 215 | MMAWeekly.com

Two titles will go up for grabs at UFC 215 as Demetrious Johnson takes on Ray Borg and Amanda Nunes faces Valentina Shevchenko after they were originally scheduled to meet in July. On Thursday, all f read news >>

Tony Ferguson and Kevin Lee Engage in Heated Face Off Ahead of UFC 216 | MMAWeekly.com

Tony Ferguson and Kevin Lee had to be separated by UFC president Dana White on Thursday after a heated face off during a media day in Las Vegas. Ferguson will face Lee to crown a new interim lightwei read news >>

Is Dana White's Relationship with Jon Jones Over? | MMAWeekly.com

UFC president Dana White briefly talked about his relationship with Jon Jones with the press at the UFC 215 216 media day on Thursday. TRENDING > Jon Jones' Manager Confounded, Refuses to Believe Jon read news >>

Ray Borg says he's going to end Demetrious Johnson's career in UFC 215 title fight

Ray Borg believes he’s not only going to upset UFC flyweight champ Demetrious Johnson, but also retire him at UFC 215.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Dana White More Nervous About Conor McGregor vs Floyd Mayweather Than Any Other Fight Ever | MMAWeekly.com

UFC president Dana White is more nervous about Conor McGregor's boxing bout against Floyd Mayweather Jr. than any other fight... ever. read news >>

Mayweather vs. McGregor Odds: Latest Fight Lines for Money vs. Notorious

Floyd Mayweather Jr. will come out of retirement to face UFC superstar Conor McGregor in a boxing megafight in Las Vegas on Saturday. Notorious is switching fight codes and will make his professional read news >>

Conor McGregor Nutritionist Says He'll Have No Trouble Making Weight

Conor McGregor's nutritionist said Thursday that the UFC Lightweight champion will have no problem making weight Friday for his 154-pound boxing clash with Floyd Mayweather Jr. on Saturday. According read news >>

Conor McGregor: 'Essentially, I Am Representing the UFC' | MMAWeekly.com

UFC lightweight champ Conor McGregor talks about his training at the UFC Performance Institute days before his boxing debut against Floyd Mayweather Jr. read news >>