St. Pierre will return from a lengthy injury-induced layoff to defend his welterweight crown against interim titleholder Carlos Condit in the UFC 154 main event on Saturday at the Bell Centre in Montreal. The 31-year-old Canadian last fought in April 2011, when he defeated Jake Shields by unanimous decision. Soon after, a serious knee injury and resulting surgery stalled his career.
While many consider the St. Pierre-Condit unification bout a blockbuster in its own right, White has designs on a far more ambitious pairing, one featuring St. Pierre and Silva in a pound-for-pound super fight between UFC champions. The UFC boss expects the Brazilian to be in attendance to watch St. Pierre in Montreal.
“There’s no doubt Anderson Silva is there to cheer Georges St. Pierre on,” White said during a pre-fight media call. “He wants him to win this fight, and he wants to fight him after. The fight has to happen, people.”
White already has mapped out three potential locales for the Silva-St. Pierre super fight: Cowboys Stadium in Arlington, Texas, the Rogers Centre in Toronto or a soccer stadium in Brazil. Cowboys Stadium may be the most intriguing of the three. Home to the NFL’s Dallas Cowboys, it seats 80,000 fans for football games but can be reconfigured to hold more than 100,000. It drew 50,994 to a boxing match between Manny Pacquiao and Joshua Clottey in March 2010 and could conceivably draw far more to a UFC event featuring St. Pierre and Silva.
“We’ve been talking to the Cowboys guys for a while,” White said. “Whenever we want to do an event there, they’re ready for it.”
St. Pierre, who has remained non-committal on the idea of facing Silva, has kept his focus on the man in front of him.
Though the St. Pierre-Silva discussion leaves him as something of a forgotten man, Condit understands the interest behind a potential showdown between two of the sport’s most accomplished fighters.
“Yeah, a GSP-Anderson fight intrigues me,” he said. “They’re the two best fighters to step into the Octagon. You want to see who’s the best, but first thing’s first. I have to do my thing. It’s definitely motivating. I like playing the role of spoiler.
“There’s a lot of people in the sport and media that are overlooking me and are looking forward to a super fight between Georges and Anderson,” Condit added. “I’m looking to get in there and do my thing and hopefully change [their] plans.”view original article >>
Some folks complained about the stoppage in Gokhan Saki’s first-round KO at UFC Fight Night 117. UFC President Dana White was not one of them.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC, Videos read news >>
For a man nicknamed “The Professional,” things aren’t looking quite that way at the moment.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>
Check out the UFC 216 Ultimate Media Day face-offs where UFC president Dana White was on guard, even though Tony Ferguson snuck it a little surprise. read news >>
UFC 218 in Detroit just landed a potential 'Fight of the Year' candidate. Following a season coaching opposite of each other on "The Ultimate Fighter", former UFC lightweight champion Eddie Alvarez i read news >>
Las Vegas, Nevada is home to the UFC and many of the company's fighters. It's no surprise, then, that the promotion was rocked by the mass shooting on Sunday night that left at least 59 dead and over read news >>
The UFC is offering free tickets to Saturday's UFC 216 event in Las Vegas to first responders from last week's mass shooting in the city. UFC President Dana White told ESPN's Brett Okamoto about the read news >>
For UFC Dana White, not canceling UFC 216 was a very important move, not for his company, but for his city. read news >>
Conor McGregor may very well be plotting his return to the Octagon but reports that he's agreed to meet Nate Diaz at UFC 219 on Dec. 30 are premature. Several outlets began reporting over the weekend read news >>
Excited about the Conor McGregor vs. Nate Diaz rubber match trilogy fight at UFC 219 in December? Dana White says you should pump the brakesFiled under: Blue Corner, Featured Videos, News, UFC read news >>
UFC President Dana White says more than 1,500 first responders from the Las Vegas shooting will be at Saturday’s UFC 216.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>