MENU
#UFC 217 #UFC Fight Night 55 #GSP #Michael Bisping #Conor McGregor


carlos-condit-nick-diaz.jpgCarlos Condit has heard fans call for a rematch with Nick Diaz, and if Diaz comes out of retirement, he’s game.

The former UFC interim welterweight champion told MMAjunkie.com Radio (www.mmajunkie.com/radio) that he first plans to shore up weaknesses in his wrestling game over the summer. After that, he’d like a fight in Las Vegas.

“I want to be in good fights with a lot of hype and a lot of buzz, and a rematch with Diaz and myself would interest a lot of folks,” Condit said.

Condit (28-7 MMA, 5-3 UFC) and Diaz (26-9 MMA, 7-6 UFC) fought to a highly controversial decision at UFC 143, with Condit emerging with a unanimous decision to claim the interim title put up for grabs when undisputed champ Georges St-Pierre was benched with a torn ACL.

Eight months later, Condit met St-Pierre in a title-unification match at UFC 154 and lost via decision. A return fight saw him lose another judges’ call when Johny Hendricks outpointed him at UFC 158 earlier this year.

Against St-Pierre, he gave up takedown after takedown. Hendricks’ early-fight surge lost steam in later rounds as Condit pressed the pace, but again, wrestling ultimately swayed the scorecards as his back repeatedly hit the canvas.

Given the shape of his past two fights, Condit is targeting some time off to improve.

“I had a couple of fights, back to back,” he said. “So honestly, I’m probably just taking the summer doing some traveling and some training – obviously, a big aspect of my game I need to work on. My last two fights were basically lost due to the wrestling. So I’m really focusing on that before I get out there again.”

With that said, he welcomes the opportunity to again fight Diaz, who briefly retired after his loss to Condit. Fans criticized his gameplan, saying he spent more time running than engaging with Diaz. Plus, Diaz is a major star despite coming up short in two UFC title opportunities.

Of course, Diaz’s career plans remain a question mark after he retired (again) following a loss to St-Pierre in the headliner of UFC 158.

Could Condit convince him to get back in the cage?

“The fight was a close fight,” Condit said. “It was a decision. So I think we could put on a good show. It goes without saying that there was a lot of controversy after the fight. Just putting that to rest would be another reason I would like to fight.”

Condit clarified that he doesn’t have a scheduled opponent despite his desire to return in late summer or early fall. His goal, however, remains to capture St-Pierre’s title.

“I guess we’re just going to have to see how the welterweight picture shakes up here in the next couple of events, and maybe then we’ll have a better idea,” he said. “I definitely think I have another title run in me. I’m looking at making the next year or two some of my best fights. I’m trying to cement my legacy, and we’ll see where I am after that.”

For more on the UFC’s upcoming schedule, stay tuned to the UFC Rumors section of the site.

MMAjunkie.com Radio broadcasts Monday-Friday at noon ET (9 a.m. PT) live from Mandalay Bay Resort & Casino’s Race & Sports Book. The show is hosted by “Gorgeous” George Garcia, MMAjunkie.com lead staff reporter John Morgan and producer Brian “Goze” Garcia. For more information or to download past episodes, go to www.mmajunkie.com/radio.

view original article >>
Report here if this news is invalid.

Galleries

Carlos Condit Fights

  • a year ago
  • 1728 views

Comments

Show Comments

Related News

What 'other' Jon Jones has learned about MMA and its fans after years of misdirected angry tweets

  • 28 days ago
  • 7 views

In a Q&A with MMAjunkie, self-proclaimed “tech geek” Jon Jones opens up on having a sense of humor about years of nasty tweets meant for the troubled ex-UFC champion of the same name.Filed under: Fea read news >>

Three added to next month's Sydney event

  • 29 days ago
  • 1 views

On Nov. 19 (Nov. 18 U.S. Time), fight fans at Qudos Bank Arena in Sydney, Australia will see even more top-notch UFC action, as the promotion announced the addition of three more bouts to the Fight N read news >>

New Bellator app allows main-card streaming, live prelims overseas

  • 26 days ago
  • 4 views

Bellator fans around the world, say goodbye to preliminary-card tape delay.Filed under: Bellator, Blue Corner, Featured Videos, News read news >>

Derek Brunson Doesn't Buy Anybody's Excuse for Using Banned Substances Including Lyoto Machida | MMAWeekly.com

  • 25 days ago
  • 7 views

Derek Brunson has heard all the excuses. As a staunch advocate against the use of performance enhancing drugs in mixed martial arts, Brunson has spoken out numerous times against the athletes who hav read news >>

Firas Zahabi defends GSP from Bisping's steroid allegations – then compliments champ

  • 25 days ago
  • 22 views

Firas Zahabi has heard plenty of steroid allegations directed at Georges St-Pierre over the years, so Michael Bisping’s didn’t bother him.Filed under: News, UFC, Videos read news >>

UFC Fight Night 119 draws announced 10,265 fans in Sao Paulo

  • 24 days ago
  • 4 views

SAO PAULO – Saturday’s UFC Fight Night 119 event drew an announced attendance of 10,265 fans. UFC officials announced the tally following the event, which MMAjunkie attended. No live gate total was a read news >>

Fans invited to this week's Bellator 186 weigh-ins at Penn State University

  • 22 days ago
  • 8 views

For the first time, Bellator brings a show to “Happy Valley” this week and the campus of Penn State University.Filed under: Bellator, News read news >>

Heading to UFC 217? Fans invited to open workouts, press conference, weigh-ins in NYC

  • 22 days ago
  • 6 views

If you’re heading to New York City for this week’s UFC 217 pay-per-view, you’ve got a number of fight-week events you can attend for free.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

So, what's Jon Jones been up to lately?

  • 20 days ago
  • 66 views

We haven’t heard much lately from Jon Jones, the former UFC champion who’s facing a potentially long suspension. However, Jones apparently isn’t giving up on the possibility of someday returning to t read news >>

Ex-UFC fighter Erik Perez signs with Combate Americas

  • 20 days ago
  • 4 views

Erik “Goyito” Perez is expected to make his debut with the first Hispanic-based promotion in January.Filed under: News read news >>