#UFC 216 #Conor McGregor #Nick Diaz #Rizin 7 #Tony Ferguson #Nate Diaz #GSP #Quinton Jackson #Kevin Lee #Michael Bisping

Joseph Benavidez could move to 125 when the UFC adopts the division. | Photo: Dave Mandel

At 5-foot-4, Joseph Benavidez is used to questions about how he’s going to handle his opponent’s reach.

It’s not an issue in his eyes. In fact, he believes the advantage is his.

That’s why Benavidez thinks his bout against Eddie Wineland on Sunday at UFC Live 5 is a “perfect matchup.”

“He does fight really tall,” Benavidez said on the Sherdog Radio Network’s “Beatdown” show. “I like to use my low center of gravity, crouch down, get a lot of level changes, and he fights really high. I think I do great against tall people that kind of stand up straight like that.”

Benavidez has honed a style based on him being the shorter fighter with the lesser reach. At 14-2, with his only losses coming against UFC bantamweight champion Dominick Cruz, it’s hard to argue with his approach. He doesn’t think Wineland will have an answer for it either.

“It’s going to be a great fight,” Benavidez said. “Wineland always goes in there and tries to finish and puts on a high pace. I always try to finish and I think I put on an even higher pace. I definitely see it finishing, by me. It’s just going to be a good fight. He’s a threat in boxing, but I don’t think he’s a complete MMA fighter, and that’s where he’s going to lose the fight.”

A win would be Benavidez’s third straight and his fifth in six fights. Because he’s lost twice to Cruz, though, he doesn’t expect to get another title shot unless the belt changes hands.

“It’s no secret I’m kind of in a difficult position having lost to the champion twice,” Benavidez said. “It’s kind of hard to get a rematch, I think. We’ve had two great fights. They’ve both been close. Even the last one was a split decision, but the fact is there’s two losses there and a lot of people don’t want to see a third one even though it’d be a great fight.”

At this point, Benavidez plans to just keep improving. If another title shot at 135 pounds doesn’t materialize, he could still get one at 125 when the UFC adopts the division. That doesn’t mean he’s eager to drop down, though.

“Actually 125, to tell you the truth, doesn’t ever sound good,” Benavidez said. “It makes me cringe. It’s kind of bittersweet. … That would be a great option for me, but the fact is it’s tough to make it. I’m one of those guys that really just enjoys just kind of laying back and fighting being fun for me. I honestly don’t have to cut weight. I don’t worry about it until I get to the venue like five days before.”

He’s willing to make the move, but for now his division is bantamweight and his only option is to keep winning.

“I don’t know when the 125 class is coming,” Benavidez said, “but I feel if I can be the best fighter I can be, that’s all I can do. They can’t deny me if I wipe out the whole division.”

Listen to the full interview (beginning at 1:18:40).

Galleries

Joseph Benavidez Fights

• 10 months ago

Comments

Mackenzie Dern Makes Her Flyweight Debut in October at LFA 24 | MMAWeekly.com

Highly touted prospect and multi-time grappling champion Mackenzie Dern will make her return to mixed martial arts in October except this time she will do so as a flyweight. Dern has been one of the read news >>

Ovince Saint Preux Takes Cerebral Approach To Opponent Change

Ovince Saint Preux has been in this position before – hit with a late change in opponents after the heavy lifting of training camp has already been completed. He'll face returning veteran Yushin Okam read news >>

Fight Week with Gokhan Saki in Japan

Kickboxing legend Gokhan Saki makes his debut in Japan Friday night on FXX. Take a special look at his fight week through the power of social media. read news >>

Does the UFC have a real future in China?

After testing the waters with a trio of events in Macau, the UFC soon makes its debut in Mainland China. Is there a future there, though?Filed under: News, UFC, Videos read news >>

Conor McGregor vs. Nate Diaz 3 on St. Patrick's Day makes sense to John Kavanagh. Sure, why not?

If it was up to Conor McGregor’s coach, the UFC lightweight champion and Nate Diaz would complete their trilogy early next year.Filed under: Blue Corner, Featured, Featured Videos, News, UFC read news >>

Conor McGregor Teases His UFC Return, Names Several Possible Opponents | MMAWeekly.com

Conor McGregor is nearly ready to resume his UFC career but he's still undecided on who he will face when he steps back inside the Octagon. The reigning UFC lightweight champion took part in a Q&A in read news >>

Kevin Lee Makes Weight After Dramatic Scare at UFC 216 Weigh-Ins | MMAWeekly.com

Kevin Lee needed an extra hour, but eventually made weight for UFC 216. read news >>

UFC 216 results: Mara Romero Borella makes easy work of Kalindra Faria for first-round tap

Kalindra Faria was more than a 2-1 favorite against fellow newcomer Mara Romero Borella, but the underdog wiped that out almost immediately.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Fabricio Werdum Makes Quick Work of Walt Harris, Wants His Belt Back (UFC 216 Results) | MMAWeekly.com

Fabricio Werdum made quick work of last-minute replacement Walt Harris at UFC 216 and then took aim at Stipe Miocic. read news >>

Demetrious Johnson Makes History with Incredible Finish (UFC 216 Results) | MMAWeekly.com

Flyweight Demetrious Johnson made history on Saturday at T-Mobile Arena in Las Vegas defending his UFC title more than any other fighter in the promotion's history. In one-sided fashion, Johnson domi read news >>