#UFC Fight Night 55 #UFC 217 #Fabricio Werdum #Marcin Tybura #UFC Fight Night 120 #GSP

Eddie Wineland vs George Roop at WEC 46Eddie Wineland fights to win.

And when he steps into the Octagon at UFC 155 on Saturday night, he sees that same “fight to win” type of fighter in Brad Pickett, his opponent.

“There’s people that come to ‘fight not to lose’ and then there’s people that come ‘to fight to win.’ I think Brad and myself are both people that come to fight to win,” Wineland said recently on MMAWeekly Radio.

That makes for a dangerous fight. Wineland is going to have to be at the top of his game every moment of the fight in order to walk out of the cage with a victory. But that’s how he wants it.

He doesn’t want to rack up 10 easy victories to try and get to a title shot. Wineland wants to fight the top fighters on deck now, put on the best fights that he knows how, and let the chips fall where they may.

“I think (Pickett’s) been fighting just as long as I have. He’s experienced, he’s smart, he’s a dangerous fighter,” said Wineland. “I’m not looking for easy fights; I’m looking to test myself. I want the best of the best. I think that’s both where we’re at. I think we’re both gonna go in and put a good show on.”

That’s why, despite back to back losses to Urijah Faber and Joseph Benavidez to start off his UFC career, Wineland believes he and Pickett are both just a step or two away from a possible bantamweight title shot.

“I think the winner of this is very deserving of a No. 1 contendership spot or No. 1 contendership fight,” Wineland told MMAWeekly.com.

Whether the winner is deemed next up for a title shot or not, however, Wineland is happy just to keep plowing forward. He has goals, to be sure, but the key goal is to keep on fighting.

“At the end of the day, as long as I’m fighting, I’m happy,” stated Wineland. “I do want the belt. I’m chasing the belt. So as long as I keep fight and I keep winning, they can’t really deny me that.

“I’m happy with the fight. I’m not here for easy fights. I want to test myself. I want to see what I’m capable of. At the end of the day, I’m gonna be there to have my hand raised.”

Comments

UFC Fight Night 118 results: Ramazan Emeev fights, Sam Alvey freezes in 3-round snoozer

Sam Alvey’s eagerness to fight on short notice was not matched by output in the cage.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Twitter Mailbag: Where's the hype for UFC 217?

UFC 217 is right around the corner. Are three title fights and GSP’s return getting the hype they deserve? Find out in Twitter Mailbag.Filed under: News read news >>

New York Commission Adopts Instant Replay Ahead of UFC 217 | MMAWeekly.com

The referees calling fights at UFC 217 in New York next month will have the added advantage of instant replay. The New York State Athletic Commission adopted new rules just recently to allow the in-r read news >>

Anxiety no longer stifles UFC Fight Night 119's Jack Hermansson

UFC Fight Night 119’s Jack Hermansson admits he still wrestles with anxiety. But after four fights, those fears don’t have the same hold.Filed under: News, UFC, Videos read news >>

UFC 217: Three Title Fights, Three Champions, and a Legend (Video) | MMAWeekly.com

Matchmaker Sean Shelby breaks down the three title fights headlining one of the most anticipated nights of the year at UFC 217: Bisping vs St-Pierre. read news >>

UFC 217: Bisping vs St-Pierre Fantasy Cheat Sheet

In today's fantasy preview, we'll examine all three title fights, as well as several other matchups on the card, to see who has the edge and who might be primed for an upset at UFC 217: Bisping vs. S read news >>

Why is Georges St-Pierre a big deal? 5 fights that defined a UFC legend

If the buzz for Georges St-Pierre’s return seems muted, maybe it’s because he’s been gone too long for newer fans to appreciate who he is and what he did as UFC champ. Filed under: Featured, News, UF read news >>

UFC 217 staff picks: With 3 title fights, who's picking upsets at Madison Square Garden?

Check out our staff picks for the UFC 217 main card, which features a trio of title fights at Madison Square Garden in New York.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>

Cody Garbrandt and T.J. Dillashaw burying hatchet after UFC 217? We asked Urijah Faber

UFC 217 features three title fights, and in the buildup to tonight’s event, it’s not exactly been a banner week for sportsmanship.Filed under: News, Radio Highlight, UFC, Videos read news >>

UFC 217 Athlete Outfitting pay: 3 title fights help move 2017 payout past $5 million

Fighters from Saturday’s UFC 217 event took home UFC Athlete Outfitting pay, a program that launched after the UFC’s deal with Reebok.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>